Votes: 66 30.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 455 Posts

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
wrj said:
Am I doing something wrong? I'm relatively new to Directv and am trying to force an update to my R15-300. I reset with the red button and at the blue screen enter 02468. It goes through an software update and completes through 100%. All looks fine but then the firmware is still at the previous 0x104B.

Bill
It's a limited release at this point. Not everyone will get this version until it hits their region/area code/zip code/whatever. Remember, with 10F1 it was pulled after a limited release so everyone didn't experience the slow response time.

·
Icon
763 Posts
wrj said:
Am I doing something wrong? I'm relatively new to Directv and am trying to force an update to my R15-300. I reset with the red button and at the blue screen enter 02468. It goes through an software update and completes through 100%. All looks fine but then the firmware is still at the previous 0x104B.

Bill
You are doing better than me!!
I try to force an update & it doesn't even reload the old software, it just goes straight to downloading guide data.
It's not a big deal since this R15 is being replaced in a couple of days, but I'd like to know I could get it with the new box.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
I've had 10FA a little over 24 hours now. Had the RESET as described earlier in this thread and also just ran into something new.

Earlier tonight I was bringing the R15 out of StandBy and all I had was a blank screen and no video or audio. Guide worked, MYPlaylist came up fine. Channel up then down fixed it. When I brought it out of StandBy it was recording on the background tuner, I guess that would be considered tuner 2 as a different channel banner popped up coming out of StandBY. Put the unit back in StandBy for a few seconds and brought it back out and again, blank screen, no audio. It' was on 513 which was playing Billy Madison (maybe that's the problem). :lol:

PAUSE appeared to pause but the timeline bar was blank. JUMP Back did nothing, timeline bar display no green/red portion. RR displays the bar but shows in PLAY mode, again no green/red portion of the bar. Pressing REC displays a conflict message but doesn't start recording. Maybe this is part of the fix that you can now press REC on a currently playing show or the fix with tuner 1 being active.

I started playing Sponge Bob, recording on the other tuner, and pressed the REC button to stop recording and got a message asking if I wanted to "cancel this recording or cancel all in the Series Link?". I don't remember ever seeing that before, is that new? I cancelled that recording, it switched back automatically to 513 and I was then stuck on a blank screen of Billy Madison that appears to be recording but I cannot stop it. REC light is off, nothing shows in MyPlaylist. Doing a channel up displayed the "Keep recording" message, as if it was recording, but according to MyPlaylist it's not.

Eventually I changed to 231 and told it to stop recording and delete and it switched to 231 fine. PREV back to 513, no video/audio. 512 ok, 514 ok, 513 not. Channel 513 is on SAT 101, Transponder 32 which I checked and it was showing a 90% signal on both tuners.

After doing the SAT signal test 513 seemed ok.....audio and video is present except it's now playing CMT (CMT is on the same SAT but transponder 1). Yes, 513 has some country folks on it with the CMT logo in the bottom left corner. Channel up to 514 shows MAX - Aliens. Channel down to 513 shows CMT in the live box, shows Billy Madison in the guide (playing for the next 45 minutes) and get this, showed that it’s recording. I checked MyPlaylist and sure enough, Billy Madison was being recorded but when played it was the feed from CMT.

I did another RBR. Wait another 24 hours for the guide to populate. MyPlaylist shows 45 minutes of Bill Madison record on 513 MMAX yet it's CMT.

To all of you that are doing forced downloads of this version and not getting them why don't you hold on a bit? I've had 10FA since 5:00pm MST Friday night, it's now 29 hours later and I've had to RBR twice. Once when it locked up in the prioritizer and then again with this problem I've described.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
TheMoose said:
I try to force an update & it doesn't even reload the old software, it just goes straight to downloading guide data.
It's not a big deal since this R15 is being replaced in a couple of days, but I'd like to know I could get it with the new box.
There are times when I've done a forced download that a RBR was required. Resetting from the menu doesn't always work. Also, all you do is press 02468 on the remote (NOTHING ELSE) once the screen turns blue during the reboot process. The Welcome screen.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
TheMoose said:
Its all in the timing, once you reset right when you see the very first Blue welcome scren point your remote at the box push 0 2 4 6 8 and only those buttons and nothing else. This should hopefully take you into the download.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
I just hope this release doesnt tank like all the past ones have. It looks good when 3-4 people here get it but falls apart once it goes to everyone and they actually use it a few days before posting here.

Did they fix any of the problems the last release broke ? Icon colors, sticking progress bar, black pauses when playing a recording, skipback was erratic, etc... I know not everyone had them but if some do and the last update caused them then its a problem that should be addressed.

Sorry to sound so skeptical just its been SO LONG and going by the past track record and what the last update did to my unit, I dont know if I even want another update.

·
AllStar
79 Posts
Progress Bar appears to be fixed. Yeaa! Trick Play is much more responsive. Yeaa! So far so good! I haven't had any hiccups yet. Hopefully it wont albeit its to early to know how reliable the recording end will pan out but I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Wolffpack said:
It's a limited release at this point. Not everyone will get this version until it hits their region/area code/zip code/whatever. Remember, with 10F1 it was pulled after a limited release so everyone didn't experience the slow response time.
That's contrary to what Earl posted in the beginning of this thread:

As of right now: FORCED UPDATES ONLY!
This version is the "release candidate" available for you to FORCE download, if you so wish.
There is always the chance that it can be pulled.... So only "FORCE" the update if you wish to.
Until DirecTV starts to auto-push the update; This is a "release candidate"

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
wrj said:

Bill
You are doing it right, otherwise it wouldn't go through the process. The update just isn't available to you yet.

Every past software release for the R15 has been done on a geographic basis, starting on the west coast and then spreading east, including test builds such as this one. If you are not getting 10FA, then it is not available to your location yet.

Carl

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
RAD said:
That's contrary to what Earl posted in the beginning of this thread:

As of right now: FORCED UPDATES ONLY!
This version is the "release candidate" available for you to FORCE download, if you so wish.
There is always the chance that it can be pulled.... So only "FORCE" the update if you wish to.
Until DirecTV starts to auto-push the update; This is a "release candidate"
It appears it is not as "available" as I was led to believe. but being the weekend I haven't gotten an update to my questions on it.

The quick resonses I got, is that they are rotating the software in the data stream. So this "release candidate" is rotating in and out of the stream as well.

·
Legend
188 Posts
carl6 said:
You are doing it right, otherwise it wouldn't go through the process. The update just isn't available to you yet.

Every past software release for the R15 has been done on a geographic basis, starting on the west coast and then spreading east, including test builds such as this one. If you are not getting 10FA, then it is not available to your location yet.

Carl
Any way to determine when it is (or will be) available within an area without going through the forced update process?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
No, unless DirecTV tells me they have "spread it out"... there is no way to tell on the system.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,790 Posts
Admittedly, I'm not very observant. I just noticed in the menu, when the guide is up, theres a selection to pick a day and time to jump to in the guide. Has that always been there?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
qwerty said:
Admittedly, I'm not very observant. I just noticed in the menu, when the guide is up, theres a selection to pick a day and time to jump to in the guide. Has that always been there?
Yes, that has been there since day 1

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
VaJim said:
Earl: Didn't you at one time recommend to wait and let the machine update itself as opposed to doing a 'forced'?
In general... yes.
You should only force an update if you want to try these "release candidates", or if you are instructed to do so by a service rep.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,605 Posts
I forced the new update on my R15-500 today. Got 10FA.

I went in the service menu under special installation and got it. I thought I might of found a trick to get updates early. Didnt see where it was out.

So far I have know issues.

·
Mentor
33 Posts
Clint Lamor said:
Try flipping the sat lines on the back of your R15 take the cable going to sat1 and move it to 2 and take the old 2 and move it to one. Let me know if that works for you.
Nope, that didnt work. I also unplugged it for a few minutes and tried after that. I think I tried a forced update on this -100 unit soon after receiving it, just to try that function out. Of course I understand I would have gotten the same version, but I think it worked anyway.

I guess I'll just wait until the release is pushed to everyone from D* and see if I get it then.

·
Legend
168 Posts
Interesting.

I just forced an update on my 300, and it said it was downloading the old version again (104B). But when it started up I noticed some things had changed (MyVOD is now My Playlist) so I looked and the past upgrade says 105F. It still lists the date as 8/29 however (when I received 104B).

I have the same issue as Qwerty did. All of my SLs were reset to "both".

41 - 60 of 455 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.