DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Bobman said:
Well just think :confused: we waited a couple months for this and this was "supposed" to be the release they were taking their time with to make sure things were right ????:rolleyes:

If this is the result of taking their time to make sure things are right, I am glad they didnt rush..:D
I have mixed feelings about this release. The FR logic has been improved significantly, these little bugs that I haven't run into before are disappointing but I guess my biggest disappointment is the general sluggishness of this release. Most of the time just an annoyance but some times darn right irritating. Up until now many have stated the R15 was quicker than Tivo units. In some areas I agreed and in other I disagreed. With this release those speed advantages have pretty much gone away. I would appreciate comments form others with F1 and if you agree with my speed assessment or disagree.

I wonder, if during their internal testing phase with DTV employees, they actually seek specific input from the testers or just rely on the feedback they receive. I would hope the testers receive a specific questionnaire asking about all of the fixes and enhancements but in addition, if there are questions asking how the testers would rate the speed of the unit as compared to the previous version of OS. I would also hope DTV tracks responses and makes sure everyone that's suppose to be testing actually is testing. I did a couple of betas for DirecWay when I was using that service and we had specific tasks to perform and we had to report our findings. It would be nice to know that DTV is taking an approach somewhat like this when testing new R15 and HR20 releases.

Trying to avoid the Tivo/R15-HR20 war, but when Tivo released (does release) new OSes they did enlist the help of individuals outside the company. Individuals that were considered power users. If DTV wants us to take their new DVRs seriously I believe DTV should start by taking their new DVRs seriously. Testing new software updates with internal employees only doesn't give me any warm & fuzzy feeling as to the quality of releases. On the R15 we've seen that for a year now.

As far as the 6.3a release from Tivo for the HR10, was Tivo responsible for beta testing that release or was DTV? I'm guessing DTV was and they did so in the same method they do for the R15/HR20. Does anyone know of 6.3 beta testers?

Also trying to avoid anything political, a week ago we had a President that was convinced he should "stay the course". Then the people of this great nation spoke out. Now he's open to new ideas. Perhaps DTV needs to take the same approach and listen to it customers and make some changes regarding the method that new updates are tested and released.

I'm getting way OT here, apologize. Maybe it's time for a general discussion thread on the pluses and minuses of DTVs new venture into DVR software development. Both the R15 and HR20. Maybe even the HMC (which is my mind we will never see since we can't even get a reliable DVR yet).

Sorry, I'm done. :grin:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
Wolffpack said:
I have mixed feelings about this release. The FR logic has been improved significantly, these little bugs that I haven't run into before are disappointing but I guess my biggest disappointment is the general sluggishness of this release. Most of the time just an annoyance but some times darn right irritating. Up until now many have stated the R15 was quicker than Tivo units. In some areas I agreed and in other I disagreed. With this release those speed advantages have pretty much gone away. I would appreciate comments form others with F1 and if you agree with my speed assessment or disagree.

I wonder, if during their internal testing phase with DTV employees, they actually seek specific input from the testers or just rely on the feedback they receive. I would hope the testers receive a specific questionnaire asking about all of the fixes and enhancements but in addition, if there are questions asking how the testers would rate the speed of the unit as compared to the previous version of OS. I would also hope DTV tracks responses and makes sure everyone that's suppose to be testing actually is testing. I did a couple of betas for DirecWay when I was using that service and we had specific tasks to perform and we had to report our findings. It would be nice to know that DTV is taking an approach somewhat like this when testing new R15 and HR20 releases.

Trying to avoid the Tivo/R15-HR20 war, but when Tivo released (does release) new OSes they did enlist the help of individuals outside the company. Individuals that were considered power users. If DTV wants us to take their new DVRs seriously I believe DTV should start by taking their new DVRs seriously. Testing new software updates with internal employees only doesn't give me any warm & fuzzy feeling as to the quality of releases. On the R15 we've seen that for a year now.

As far as the 6.3a release from Tivo for the HR10, was Tivo responsible for beta testing that release or was DTV? I'm guessing DTV was and they did so in the same method they do for the R15/HR20. Does anyone know of 6.3 beta testers?

Also trying to avoid anything political, a week ago we had a President that was convinced he should "stay the course". Then the people of this great nation spoke out. Now he's open to new ideas. Perhaps DTV needs to take the same approach and listen to it customers and make some changes regarding the method that new updates are tested and released.

I'm getting way OT here, apologize. Maybe it's time for a general discussion thread on the pluses and minuses of DTVs new venture into DVR software development. Both the R15 and HR20. Maybe even the HMC (which is my mind we will never see since we can't even get a reliable DVR yet).

Sorry, I'm done. :grin:
I very much agree that they need a true Beta system made up of users outside of the company. We all use our DVRs in different ways and it would be good for them to get this sort of feedback in a structured manner with specific tests they want performed and an official channel to return our findings. They could setup a Beta users forum and use that along with a bug tracking system.

·
1 Posts
BattleScott said:
I think the question is:
'Can I or will I be able to set a series link to record only on a specific date, time and channel?'

-sort of like a one-touch manual record of a time slot...

Please don't ask them to put in 'More' stuff, they can't even get what they already have to work!
I use a manual recording for "The Daily show" at 5:00 am.
If I set up a Series Link, I see a listing of all of the showings. The same show is on at 8pm, 10pm, 5am, 11am and ... I forget.

I can scroll down and hit record on the 5:00am showing.
I would like it to use that as the preferred time. I don't want it to record at 8pm,when I might want to watch something else that isn't available 5 times per day :D

Same thing with "Power Rangers", which is on about 10 times per day. I would like to se the preferred recording time to one of the times in the list.

"Studio 60" on NBC, has several repeated showings.

Monk, has several repeated showings.

I would like to be able to set the preferred time outside of the hours when I might be viewing semi-live TV.

But I would forego that feature in favor of switchable tuners :nono2:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
As of right now... it appears that the R15-500 F1, has been halted.
So I am going to close this thread, and re-open the E8 release.

If you want to go back to E8, you can force a download, and it will re-install the E8 release.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.