DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Will this latest solar storm black out our tv viewing tomorrow?
Theoretically it could. Probably won't.

The LA Times summary is "The bombardment is expected to reach us Tuesday morning, but the threat to satellites and power grids appears to be low."

The article is long and informative and in the middle it says:
X-rays traveling at the speed of light hit the Earth in about eight minutes. These can interfere with radio communications.

A burst of radiation traveling at near-light speeds begins pelting Earth 20 minutes to an hour later. This radiation causes what are known as "single event upsets." Essentially, a high-energy proton traveling through a satellite can interfere with the charges in the silicon-based hardware, which can cause it to spit out spurious signals.

The third and final attack comes from the burst of charged particles that affects Earth's magnetosphere, potentially interfering with airplane navigation systems. This particular worry is expected to force rerouting of some flights during the storm.

These are not hypothetical fears....
It's a pretty good article. I figure "the big one" will occur on December 21, 2012 - you know, the Mayan Calendar thing.:D

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
dpeters11 said:
If it knocked out my TV temporarily, I'd be fine with it, as long as it was a clear night and it was strong enough for me to see Northern Lights.
Seeing the northern lights in Cincinnati? I'm in Cleveland and the weatherman says we'd need to be 500 miles farther north to see them.

If the solar radiation was that strong that you could see the northern lights in Cincinnati we'd all be toast, not just the satellites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.