DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware of any transmission systems such as microwave, ir, fiber optics, etc. that might be used when a cable run to a DBS dish is too long?

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
There are some really expensive fiber optic extenders available.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Problem is getting the proper voltages thru to the LNBF. Can't do that with fiber optics or any wireless system.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
The fiber optic system I'm thinking of recreates the voltage. You would have to put the switches on the "house" end of the link. I got a flyer for the product at work - It was too high for my budget (and one would need power at the dish) but it would work for ku DBS band feeds.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,422 Posts
Greyduck said:
Is anyone aware of any transmission systems such as microwave, ir, fiber optics, etc. that might be used when a cable run to a DBS dish is too long?
Define "too long" (signal loss, voltag drop, etc). You may be able to wiggle a solution using special cabling or some sort of compensator.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The situation involves two separate buildings, which are over 300 ft. apart. A dish is mounted on the building with a clear shot to the satellites, is operational, and therefore is powered. The other building has obstructions blocking the satellites. My understanding is that cable runs in excess of 125 – 150 ft. are not practical.

·
6 Posts
You can always go to satellite grade RG-11 cable and connectors. That's what we use for longer trunk runs. It's not cheap, but it is effective. RG-11 will easily handle a 400 ft run.

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
Just got another ad in the mail for a "Satellite Fiberlink" ...
FSS-95F12T & FSS-95F12R Pair for $1298.00
FSS-95F5T & FSS-95F5R Pair for $2358.00
Plus the length of fiber to do the job (60¢ per foot for six fibers + $24 per connector if factory installed = $468 for 300ft with ends on all 6 fibers for redundancy/future use)

These are "L-Band" transcievers, so they would work to carry one DP LNB per connection.

$4,362 to extend a Dish 1000 (or Dish 500 + D300 for 61.5).

I did say that these were pricey! :)

www.DAWNco.com is who sent me the ad.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,422 Posts
You can put an additional antenna (and installation if necessary) on your major credit card and be done with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.