DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Icon
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm scheduled to get an HR34 on Monday(replacing my dreadfully slow HR21) and I had some operatonal questions...

1) I "thought" I read someone posting that you could move recordings from other boxes to the HR34. Is this really possible or did I read it wrong?

2) I ask #1 because I have a 2 TB drive on my HR25 now that I'd like to move to the HR34 instead and while I'm not opposed to losing what is on the drive, I wouldn't mind being able to move/save some if possible. Also, if I do move the HR25 drive to the HR34 receiver, I know I can't watch the recordings but can I do a full wipe on the HR34 to start anew or do I need to wipe the drive on the old receiver first, before moving it?

3) The PiP looks great but the YouTube video I saw made it look kinda cumbersome to turn it on and off. Is there a direct remote button or at least maybe a remote code that can be programed to automatically turn it on/off, without having to maneauver through the channel banner?

4) Does it do simutaneous output through HDMI and Component like the previous HR2x? I have a Slingbox and I run it off the Component of the currently receiver while using the HDMI out to my audio receiver/TV. Is this still possible on the HR34?

Thanks everyone!

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
1: Nope, read it wrong
2: Leave it on the HR24 and you can watch those recordings using MRV on the HR34.
3: Nope, its cumbersome as hell to turn it on and off
4: Yes. Outputs are all active.

· Icon
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I thought I read number 1 wrong as I know the issues with even trying to move a harddrive to a different receiver.

The reason I wanna move the harddrive is im my main TV room, I have an HR25 with the harddrive. I wanna put the HR34 in that room and move the HR25 upstairs(replacing an HR21 hich will go bye bye) to the living room and there just not a lot of space to put the harddrive, since I have everything in an amoire upstairs.

All I have on that drive is a bunch of season pass recordings of stuff I've already seen so losing it, isn't that big of a deal. I was about to clean it up anyway to open some space.

I'm surprised they don't have an easier way to turn PiP on/off. I was hoping they maybe used one of the color buttons for it. I'd rather them use say the Yellow button to turn it on/off rather than what they use it for now.

Guess I'll have to experiment with a macro on my URC MX-810 to turn it on/off.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
As far as I know, you would have to plug it into the HR34, and then pull up the shows and delete them one by one. Or plug it into a computer and pull up drive management and remove all the partitions, then the HR34 will repartition and format it when you plug it in and reboot the first time.

· AllStar
75 Posts
Davenlr said:
As far as I know, you would have to plug it into the HR34, and then pull up the shows and delete them one by one. Or plug it into a computer and pull up drive management and remove all the partitions, then the HR34 will repartition and format it when you plug it in and reboot the first time.
If he plugs in the external drive from his HR21 into the HR34, the HR34 will format it as soon as it boots up and he'll lose all his recordings.

· Icon
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CurtP said:
If he plugs in the external drive from his HR21 into the HR34, the HR34 will format it as soon as it boots up and he'll lose all his recordings.
I'm not sure how the systems differ between the HR34 and HR2x series but I've tried it a long while ago where when you move the drive from one HR2X series to another HR2X series, it will see everything on the drive but when you try to play something, it will give you an error that it is unable to play the program.

It didn't wipe the drive.

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
CurtP said:
That's not usually how it works...it should just be a bunch of recordings you can't watch...if the drive is functioning correctly and was shutdown gracefully on the previous HR2x model DVR, it should just boot normally on the HR34...if you want to delete all the recordings, you can pull up the playlist, hit the yellow button, choose mark programs to delete and mark all or something along those lines...it will mark all recordings for deletion, choose continue, and boom, a few minutes later the drive will be empty...but you will have retained all your SL's so you dont have to re-key them all in.

· Save the Clock Tower!!
2,259 Posts
I was working with some external drives the last couple of days. I tested a 1TB drive with the HR34. It formatted correctly and I recorded a couple of programs. I then tried to copy the programs from a 2TB drive (54% free) to this 1TB drive and the copy was successful. The 2TB drive was from an HR24-200. When I connected the 1TB drive to the HR24-200, the DVR formatted the drive.

· AllStar
75 Posts
CCarncross said:
That's not usually how it works...
I don't know - but that's how it worked for me. 2TB external array was formatted when I took it from my HR21P to a HR24, then the HR21P formatted it when I plugged it back into it. And it formatted again when I took it back off the 21P and plugged it into the HR34.

· Save the Clock Tower!!
2,259 Posts
Chuck W said:
I'm not sure how the systems differ between the HR34 and HR2x series but I've tried it a long while ago where when you move the drive from one HR2X series to another HR2X series, it will see everything on the drive but when you try to play something, it will give you an error that it is unable to play the program.

It didn't wipe the drive.
Do you mean you connected the drive to the HR34 and it did not get formatted, or are you referring to when you tried it a long while ago?

CCarncross said:
Don't know what to tell you, I've done it many times and never had a drive reformat that had already been used on an HR series DVR.
Would you both, if you don't mind, let us know your experiences with external drives and the HR34? Thanks.

Edit: I just saw your post, Chuck W, about your upcoming install. I'd count on losing the recordings when you attach the drive to the HR34.

· Legend
249 Posts
Quick question re the 34. When I hit "dash" when watching live TV on an HR2x, it says:
SWM Connected
Internet Connected
But, when I hit dash when watching live TV on the HR34, it only says SWM Connected, i.e., it doesn't say "Internet Connected"). I assume this is normal (am I right?), but is it b/c I am not using the Ethernet port of the HR34?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.