Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have posted many times that I just switched from D* (HR20) to the VIP622. I do not regret the switch. It is totally worth it in many ways.

However, there are always things that engineers think of (even if they have an inferior product) that I noticed the VIP622 does not have that the HR20 had.

1). During the menu control (such as guide/DVR mode etc...) you could completely control what was playing in the small window. i.e. pause/rr/fw/etc... In the 622 you have to go to full screen mode to control this.

2). Organized lists. The DVR list in the HR20 organized the list into show groups... This was nice and cleaned up the list.

3). I have noticed in the 622 (maybe a bug?) when you play some shows that have not finished recording yet, it allows you to start from the beginning. Now, let's say you want to stop and watch something else for a while. Well, when you come back it does not seem to remember where you are and you have to start again and forward to where you were at. (Maybe this has been discussed before here).

Overall the 622 is great.

Apco25

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
#2 has been mentioned before as a wish list item by a few. You can do a PIP swap when in the DVR screen and toggle between your last to sorts. Since most likely one of them will be alpha and the other date this serves sort of the same functionality just not as clean as folder concept.

#3 I would consider this one a bug. I thought the Resume functionality was sticky. Perhaps it is only sticky on recorded shows. I will have to check this one out.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
apco25 said:
Now, let's say you want to stop and watch something else for a while. Well, when you come back it does not seem to remember where you are and you have to start again and forward to where you were at. (Maybe this has been discussed before here).
Are you explicitly stopping the playback before you move on to the next thing?

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
harsh said:
Are you explicitly stopping the playback before you move on to the next thing?
I need to experiment and find out how to exactly repeat this bug. However, when I explicitly stop something that is recording, I think it want me to stop the recording not stop the "viewing". Yes, it works fine for a fully recorded show, but this is a situation where stopping a recording show and going back to the same show that is still begin recorded.

Thanks,
Apco25

·
Godfather
252 Posts
apco25 said:
I need to experiment and find out how to exactly repeat this bug. However, when I explicitly stop something that is recording, I think it want me to stop the recording not stop the "viewing". Yes, it works fine for a fully recorded show, but this is a situation where stopping a recording show and going back to the same show that is still begin recorded.
That's the problem - it won't let you "stop" a program that's being recorded, because it stops the recording. If it's not stopped, you can't resume. Catch-22.

Brad

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bradtothebone said:
That's the problem - it won't let you "stop" a program that's being recorded, because it stops the recording. If it's not stopped, you can't resume. Catch-22.

Brad
Well, this is still a bug. I do not think it's a catch-22. This is a software issue in that they should be able to put a simple pointer in where you stopped watching it, even though it is still recording. Then when you come back it give you the option to : start over, resume, or watch live.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
apco25 said:
Well, this is still a bug. I do not think it's a catch-22. This is a software issue in that they should be able to put a simple pointer in where you stopped watching it, even though it is still recording. Then when you come back it give you the option to : start over, resume, or watch live.
To one man it's a bug to another it's the way it is.

The 942 works precisely the same way as the 622

·
Super Moderator
53,990 Posts
If you are watching a show while it is recording then leave it for some non-conflicting event (such as a prior DVR recording) and return to the show BEFORE it finishes recording - you have the choice to VIEW (live) or START OVER. Once the recording ends you can START it. If you have already played a portion of it after it has finished recording you can RESUME or START OVER.

The idea of pausing live TV, going away to something else, then coming back is an interesting concept. Since the event in this example is being recorded (not just the live buffer) it would make sense to have the resume marker placed appropriately.

I wouldn't mind if the live buffer continued to fill while watching DVR events. Often I finish an evenr and return to live and wish I could skip back to see what they are talking about.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SaltiDawg said:
To one man it's a bug to another it's the way it is.

The 942 works precisely the same way as the 622
Accepting that "this is the way it is" is the reason these things don't get fixed. It's a software fix that could be implemented... maybe they don't know about it.

Also, I never had the 942 and this thread is comparing the HR20 (lessons learned) in order to gleam some improvements to a great product. No reason we can't strive to make it even better (the 622).

·
Super Moderator
53,990 Posts
It isn't a software "fix" unless something is broken --- it isn't broken.
It does make a nice "feature request".

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
James Long said:
It isn't a software "fix" unless something is broken --- it isn't broken.
It does make a nice "feature request".
It is a bug. Here is the proof:

You must be in dual mode to see this and recording at least two shows at once.

1). Go to view the TV1 show. Then you will see the options to start over or view. View will take you to "live TV" and start over will take you to the beginning of the show. THIS IS THE BUG mode. On TV1 there is no resume.

2). Now, try it again with a show being recorded on TV2. Play the show (from "start over" for a little bit). Then, go back to the DVR menu and play something else that has been recorded for a little bit. Now go back to the TV2 show and you will see the option to resume option.

3). Now, while both shows are being recorded, switch to single mode. Then go to the show that was TV2 (now shows TV1). You will see the resume option is now gone. Switch back to TV2 and the resume option comes back.

In Summary:
Since this works properly on TV2 and does not behave the same on TV1, it has to be a bug.

If they were smart they will use software algorithems from previous devices (and they did). This is a bug that probably crept in a while back and was migrated to the 622 and was never corrected.

·
Super Moderator
53,990 Posts
To more clearly state the behavior:
The resume option is available if the program is being recorded on the other tuner but is not available if it is being recorded on the tuner that the user is controlling.

From TV2 the behavior of a recording on TV2 is the same as the behavior of a recording on TV1 is from TV1.

The opposite TV sees the event as a DVR event (it can get real interesting if you catch up to LIVE when such an event is recording - watching a TV2 recording on TV1 while it is recording and vice versa).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.