DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I think we are going to make the switch to E* from D* because of the better HD line up, but first I have a few questions. I have been doing a lot of reading here, so I think I know some of the answers(what I think the answers are, are in blue), but I just want to confirm they are correct. I am looking at the VIP622.

--How is the reception in the San Francisco Bay Area for HD and SD? I have D* and have never had a problem due to clouds, rain, wind, ect. I did find one thread that talks about it, (I can not post the link because I do not have 5 posts) basically it seemed like there were a lot of issues a few months back, but the thread has not been posted to in a month, so I was wondering if has gotten any better?

--I have read some people need 2 dishes, being that I am in the Bay Area, will I need 2 dishes for HD or should the Dish 1000 be OK?

--How well does the downgraded (HD to SD) picture look on the second TV?

--How well does the second remote work through the walls? Our 2nd TV will be one room away (probably about 15 feet total)? I think 15' should be OK

--Currently we use TiVo and you can adjust the recording quality, so on the 622, when it states it can record up to 30 hours, is this for the lowest quality? What is the max recording time for the highest quality?

--I was reading some where that since I am an at&t local phone customer that I will not qualify as a new customer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!

Dave

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
Bay area uses dish 1000 or two seperate 500's. One would aim at 110/119 and second one used for 129. 129 is the lowest signal and using seperate dish gives a higher reading when aimed right. HD on second tv depends on whether you are using rf or composite wires. Composite would give better picture quality, rf not too bad depending on tv tuner. Picture quality is better the sd even though down rezed. TV1 remote is ir and only good on direct line of sight, tv2 remote is uhf and will go through most walls (depending on construction) and usually good up to about 100 feet. Recording time is dependent on HD or sd source and not channel content. 30 hours of HD or 200 hours of sd. Both amounts are updated when any program is recorded, so is easy to keep track. Rest of you questions will need to be answered by someone in your area. Check you neighbors to see if anyone has either setup up.

·
Legend
127 Posts
--How well does the downgraded (HD to SD) picture look on the second TV?
Looks great, best SD your tv will ever see! :) Seriously it looks much better than regular SD, although obviously not as good as those channels will look in HD.
--How well does the second remote work through the walls? Our 2nd TV will be one room away (probably about 15 feet total)?
You should have no problem at 15 feet. I am using the second remote in my bedroom, in almost the exact opposite side of the house, and up a floor. It is probably 50 to 60 feet away at least.

--Currently we use TiVo and you can adjust the recording quality, so on the 622, when it states it can record up to 30 hours, is this for the lowest quality? What is the max recording time for the highest quality?
The reason TIVO has different quality settings is because it is encoding the analog signal on the fly, and you can decide how well it does that. Dish DVR's don't do any encoding at all, they simply capture the digital stream directly from the satellite. So there are no quality settings, you get exactly the same quality as it was sent to you (i.e. best possible quality) and therefore the 30 hours is 30 hours of TV at the same quality it was sent.

That said, there is a little bit of leway. Shows with lots of movement or high bit rates, will take up a little more space, shows with little movement (talk shows?) will take up less space. The 30 hours is pretty close in my book though. Also, if channels are in MPEG4 instead of MPEG2, as they all will be eventually, then theoretically you should get a lot more space for recording as well.

·
Icon
1,029 Posts
I have never had a reception problem in the Bay Area. I originally had a Dish 500 for 110/119 and a separate dish 300 for 148. When I upgraded to HD they reaimed my Dish 300 to 129. At the time I had heard that you get better signal strength on 129 with a separate dish so I was happy with two separate dishes. (They are on a back corner of the house so no complaints from the wife). I have not heard of anyone in the Bay Area having a problem with Rain Fade on either D* or E*. We just do not have the cloud density that some other parts of the country have.

I use my 622 in the single TV mode with two Sat recorders and 1 OTA recorder so I cannot speak to the 2nd TV issues. I tried it, it works and quality looked good to me on a 27 inch set via the RF output. The HD quality is great. I watch on an 80x45 screen with a CRT projector. The 30 hrs of HD limit requires some attention as any DVR owner could testify. I record half a dozen shows a week and rigorously watch and erase them. I may have a couple HD movies on the drive at any given time and a number of favorite RAVE concerts that I keep. With 30 hrs you have to look at it as a time shift system and not an archiving system.

The 622 in my opinion is a great receiver. I upgraded the first day they were available and have never regretted that decision.

..Doyle

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DoyleS said:
I originally had a Dish 500 for 110/119 and a separate dish 300 for 148. When I upgraded to HD they reaimed my Dish 300 to 129. At the time I had heard that you get better signal strength on 129 with a separate dish so I was happy with two separate dishes.
Should I try and ask for 2 Dish 500's pointing to 110/119 and 129?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.