Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Ive got some simple questions,

I have locals from Sacramento and have two waivers to receive hd from LA---

1. why does the HD out of LA just look better? my H20 says they both are 1080i, but the difference is extreme. and why do I get full(wide) screen from LA but not from Sac for the same program?

2. Does the quality of the cable from the dish to receiver have any effect on the quality of reception? My installer reused my old 1LNB cable on my new 5LNB dish and I am just thinking that maybe all this fancier stuff needs fancier cable?

3. Can someone explain in dummy language about MPEG4 and MPEG2 and the future? will I HAVE to upgrade again?

Thanks

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Are you sure you are watching the HD channel, not the SD one. The HD will show the callsign in the guide, while the SD one will have two letters plus the channel number. Both use the same channel indication but the HD should come first. Depending on how your H20 is set up, it may indicate 1080i on all stations by upconverting. ABC and FOX stations are typically 720p while NBC and CBS are 1080i.

You may lose the LA stations now that your locals are available.

If it was a decent cable, it can be reused. When my 5LNB dish was installed they reused the original two lines and added two new ones. I don't notice any problems.

MPEG2 and MPEG4 are two different compression algorithms. MPEG4 is more efficient and can transmit equivalent data in a smaller bandwidth. Google can find you much more information on both, if needed. As to the future, there probably will be other standards developed. It's too soon to tell at this point. I suspect that your present equipment will not be outdated for several years.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
I am getting both the Sacramento and LA feeds in HD, Its just that I get two different pictures - 10(kxtv) and 87 (ABCW) for example .10 is in pillar box while 87 is in wide screen for the same program (right now its PGA Golf) . Im just wonderig why this is.

So if MPEG4 can pack more broadcasts in a bandwidth(?) then this is what Directv will do to put more HD channels on the beam?---(please pardon my lack of electronic/radio knowledge)---and is my H20-600 receptive to this?

Thanks again

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
If the Sacramento station is pillar-boxed, you may be looking at the SD channel. If you press the info button, does it show the call letters or two letters plus a channel number? The H20 can receive both MPEG2 and MPEG4.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
kenlani said:
Thanks,
I am getting both the Sacramento and LA feeds in HD, Its just that I get two different pictures - 10(kxtv) and 87 (ABCW) for example .10 is in pillar box while 87 is in wide screen for the same program (right now its PGA Golf) . Im just wonderig why this is.

So if MPEG4 can pack more broadcasts in a bandwidth(?) then this is what Directv will do to put more HD channels on the beam?---(please pardon my lack of electronic/radio knowledge)---and is my H20-600 receptive to this?

Thanks again
the golf match was not in HD ergo the pillar box on 87w.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.