Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
For anyone that read my other questions, I got Dish hooked up yesterday and it's great! The installers (subs) were great! It took them a while, but not even a mention of an additional charge...they just did their job and did it well! I'm impressed and the service (so far...knock on wood) is awesome!

My question is concerning the leasing of the receivers. I got a 622 from E* for my HD set in my living room and it's run to my SD set in my bedroom. When i was with Direct, we bought our receivers, but I know they've gone to leasing them now as well. Anyway, E* has the special now where with a qualfiying package of HD programming, you pay $200 for their 622 and then they give you $20 back for 10 months, effectivly making the DVR free. I'm wondering...if I like their system, etc, and so far I do, do you think there would be any price break for their service? I mean...I am not sure how much of my fee is actually the lease fee, ya know? I know I have no intent whatsoever of going back to cable after experencing Satellite, so I may as well buy a box, if it'll save me some money in the longrun.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

·
Legend
127 Posts
Yes. The only advantage to owning is that you might be able to sell it down the line for something on ebay.

Leasing is usually cheaper if you upgrade your machine on a regular basis. (like I do :)). I have gone from a 510 and 311 to a 522 to a 622 in 4 years. It would have cost me far more than my lease fees if I had bought them all outright.

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cornflakes said:
You know the thought didn't even occur to me... is there a monthly lease fee (not talking about the $4.98 DVR monthly fee) for the 622 or is the $199 upgrade fee it?
That's my question. When i was with Direct, I owned my equipment, but they called the fee for the 2nd receiver a "mirroring" fee. Then my buddy got hooked up with Direct and he leased his equipment for the same $4.99 "lease fee"...just a change in the name. i don't see anything resembling a lease fee or anything like that with Dish, just the $199 upfront cost for the 622 and then the $20 back for 10 months.

So that's my point as well!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
cornflakes said:
You know the thought didn't even occur to me... is there a monthly lease fee (not talking about the $4.98 DVR monthly fee) for the 622 or is the $199 upgrade fee it?
The DVR fee is $5.98. Usually, the 1st receiver on the account is included with the package (ATxx, HD xx, ...). When you have a 2nd receiver on the account, DISH does charge ($6 if ViP, $5 otherwise) as either a Lease fee or Additional Receiver (Owned). The catch to the "usually" comes when an existing subscriber does a DIU upgrade to lease a receiver. Such a DIU receiver will always have a lease fee. That means a new (or returning after 6 months away) subscriber getting just a ViP receiver on the account wouldn't pay any lease fee. An existing subscriber replacing his last (owned/leased) receiver with a ViP will pay an extra $6/month lease fee for his only receiver.

For new subs, the 1st receiver doesn't have a fee. A new sub with a 622 and some other receiver would pay a lease fee for "the other". If "the other" were a ViP, it would be a single $6 lease fee on the account - otherwise $5.

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CABill said:
The DVR fee is $5.98. Usually, the 1st receiver on the account is included with the package (ATxx, HD xx, ...). When you have a 2nd receiver on the account, DISH does charge ($6 if ViP, $5 otherwise) as either a Lease fee or Additional Receiver (Owned). The catch to the "usually" comes when an existing subscriber does a DIU upgrade to lease a receiver. Such a DIU receiver will always have a lease fee. That means a new (or returning after 6 months away) subscriber getting just a ViP receiver on the account wouldn't pay any lease fee. An existing subscriber replacing his last (owned/leased) receiver with a ViP will pay an extra $6/month lease fee for his only receiver.

For new subs, the 1st receiver doesn't have a fee. A new sub with a 622 and some other receiver would pay a lease fee for "the other". If "the other" were a ViP, it would be a single $6 lease fee on the account - otherwise $5.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess that makes prefect sense and would explain why I am not seeing any kind of 'lease fee' on my account, since I'm a new customer and have only a 622. That would also mean that I would NOT benefit by buying my receiver.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.