1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Legend
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have perhaps a stupid question.

I have a Sony 42" LCD Flat Panell TV that is 720p
I have it hooked up to my h20 via HDMI

Should i set the resolution to 720p or 1080i? I allready have to have a 480 either i or p for the SD stuff, this is for HD.

I know having it in 1080i is having the box upconvert it only to have the tv down res it back to 720p (right?).

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Try both and see which looks better to you (on several channels). On my 42 in. Vizio plasma (which is 1020 x 768), I couldn't really tell any difference and leave it set to 720 all the time.

·
Legend
238 Posts
I keep my H20 set at "native resolution." Yes, its a bit slower but better to let the TV do the only up or down-conversion with algorithms which are tuned for your display.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
kentuck1163 said:
I keep my H20 set at "native resolution." Yes, its a bit slower but better to let the TV do the only up or down-conversion with algorithms which are tuned for your display.
There is no guarantee that the conversion in the TV is any better than the H20. The best thing to do is to try all the options and decide what looks best.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
bobnielsen said:
Try both and see which looks better to you (on several channels). On my 42 in. Vizio plasma (which is 1020 x 768), I couldn't really tell any difference and leave it set to 720 all the time.
Do the Vizio's have a nice picture or are they so so...

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Blitz68 said:
Do the Vizio's have a nice picture or are they so so...
It looks pretty good to me (comparable to other Plasma sets I looked at). The greens on some programs like CSI:Miami look a bit too intense, but acceptable after fine-tuning the picture adjustments. I bought it at Costco for $1499 but they are down to $1299 now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.