DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Legend
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why the Sony channel doesn't allow CC? I like having CC in some movies because of the accents etc. There are some movies that are really hard to follow and when you see it in CC you say "so THAT'S what he said". Like "Master and Commander".

· Legend
206 Posts
I believe it probably costs them money and they are not required to have CC on their channel. Same with MGM. Write them and complain. When I did last year they wrote me back saying it was being considered. Some of those huge business plan decisions take years to make.

· Hall Of Fame
1,753 Posts
billsharpe said:
Many of the older movies just don't have CC. You'll find that's so on TCM as well, although I have seen CC on some TCM films.
TCM should have everything closed-captioned, by Federal law -- there's nothing inherent in a TV broadcast of an older movie versus a newer movie that means the older movie wouldn't be captioned. (Okay, unless it's a silent movie, of course.)

As kenmoo alluded to, there are exceptions to Federal law for "new" channels, and that exception seems to apply for both the MGM and Sony movie channels. Of course, they certainly could go above and beyond what they're required to -- closed-captioning does cost money, but it is relatively inexpensive compared to many other things that TV networks have to pay for -- so contacting them to complain about the lack of captioning couldn't hurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.