DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Ed. note: If you are just now reading this, you're too late.)

An unadvertised four-day sale on certain Sony HDTVs leaves lucky consumers delighted, others frustrated.

By Tom Krazit and Erica Ogg
Staff Writers, CNET News.com

There's nothing like the delight of finding an incredible bargain on a tech product as desirable as a high-definition television. Especially if everyone else is in the dark.

Over the Black Friday weekend, from November 24 to November 27, Sony cut prices by up to $900 on certain HDTVs in both retail stores and on its Web site without telling consumers about the move. And on Tuesday, the prices had returned back to normal.

The move has analysts buzzing as they ponder why the company would do so without advertising and for only four days. ...
The full, frustrating story @ www.CNet.com

·
Super Moderator
54,011 Posts
Also, by not advertising the sale, Sony was essentially catering to customers who were ready to buy last weekend and ready to pay the full price they had expected to encounter, Baker said. "Seems to me they're just giving (customers) money that they didn't expect they would get. It's like handing out dollar bills to everyone that walks in the store. Why would you do that?"
They were rewarding customers who stopped in long enough to look. Perhaps an advertisement would have pushed more TVs out the door (perhaps too many TVs) but now we have the buzz and people will be checking the site more often for "secret sales".

Viral marketing can work ... sometimes it can just make you sick.

·
Icon
749 Posts
So did their promotional scheme clear the inventory of TV's. I'll bet they sold a bunch of them to impulse buyers.

--- CHAS

·
AllStar
64 Posts
i purchased two kds-60xbr2 which nomally ae 3799.99 and were discounted to 2799.99 minus a 10% coupon at cicuit city for a cost of 2519.99, by the way i have not picked the second one up at cc in pittsburgh and if anyone is interested they can have for 2799.99 + tax. pm me if interested. pajer
p.s. they are now back up to 3799.99

·
Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
Nick said:
(Ed. note: If you are just now reading this, you're too late.)

The full, frustrating story @ www.CNet.com
A friend just bought a 28" LCD HDTV from Best Buy for $500.00 & E. He has a roof Antenna, & he just gets 2 stations. He's tight with money so I was shocked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.