DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife asked what I wanted for my B-day and I told her a DVR. I've been a customer of DISH for 4 1/2 years. We have one television. I realize I'm not a money maker for them since I just have one tv and just pay for the basic 60 channel package, but I expected to be treated a bit better and offered a lot more when I inquired about upgrading to a DVR. It took 3 phone calls to get to talk to a representative I could understand. I asked about upgrading to a 2 tuner DVR- she told me I would have to pay $79.00 for ther DVR plus $119.00 to have someone install a second line plus I would pay a $5.00 a month lease fee for the DVR besides the $5.99 DVR fee. I told her that was a lot of money up front and I would have to get back with Dish.

I called Direct TV- they offered me a free dual tuner DVR, free installation, no DVR lease fee, $5.00 off a month for 12 months, another $10.00 a month off for 15 months, and a $100.00 cash back. I was astounded actually- wasn't really planning on switching until a coworker convinced me to look into Direct TV.

I called DISH back- got another rep who spoke broken english. I asked what I needed to do to cancel my account. She asked why and I told her if I switch to Direct TV I can get a DVR with no additional cost to me. She then offered to waive the $79.00 and I would still have to pay the $119.00 install fee. I didn't quite understand if I had to still pay a lease fee or not. I still told her that is still $119.00 more I had to spend up front than going to Direct TV. She then transferred me to an account rep. Account rep asked why I am cancelling and I told him what Direct TV is offering and he told everyone has to pay the $79.00 for the DVR (even though it was waived by the previos rep) and he can't do anything about it. He then flat out asked what my cancellation date would be. He didn't even try to keep my business and I don;t think he cared. I was suprised. He actually sounded kind of disgusted on the phone- don't know if Direct TV is killing them with the new offers or what. Honestly, I would have stayed with DISH and paid the $5.00 lease fee and of course the $5.99 DVR fee a month if they would have offered me a free DVR and install or just gave me a $200.00 credit to make up for it (which I read they have offered to others in the past). I hope people from Dish read these forums. This is really too bad as I really liked DISH for the past 4 1/2 years and initially had no intention of switching.
They really need to reorganize they way they do customer service.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
I don't understand why everyone expects free stuff.

I know why people want free stuff... but expecting it?

Of course DirecTV will offer some free stuff to get you to be a customer... but once you are their customer, they will not give you more free stuff later either!

It just doesn't make business sense to keep giving more and more free stuff to all your customers like that... especially not expensive hardware.

Now, I don't know what the deal with the $119 installation charge is... have you been paying bills on time?

The reason I ask is because when I login to my Dish account, one of the upgrade options available to me is a dual-tuner DVR (SD not HD) for $69 and that includes free installation.

Since you were quoted $79 and another $119, I am not sure what the deal there is.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,626 Posts
The one caveat that I would offer is that you need to watch out for what you are actually charged. I'm betting that DirecTV didn't tell you about all of the charges that they won't be crediting.

Keep on them about any troubles you might have with the R15 receiver.

For perspective on who is going a better job, you should look at the most recent quarterly reports. While DirecTV added 1 million subscribers, they lost 835,000 for a net 165,000 subscriber gain. Dish Network netted 295,000 subscribers during the same period.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like they changed it since Wed. They are now charging $119.00 for the DVR and installation. I only had one line- needed a second one installed. I've never missed a payment before- mostly likely didn't get that good of an offer because I paid for the cheapest package all these years with one TV (top 60 with one receiver). I don't quite agree with the business sense thing- I've been a customer for over 4 years- obviously I was happy with Dish and mostly likely would continue with it. They lost my business over $119.00- to me that doesn't make good business sense.

· Godfather
256 Posts
CSRs will no longer give any resistance or alternative to cancelling your account if you call and say "I want to cancel." They may ask for a reason the cancellation is occuring (for the CSR in order to properly set the work order, for management to see why) and if you sound unsure they might propose an alternative. But if you give them a definite statement such as I want to cancel, then it's done. I've been saying it for the longest time, too many people cried wolf.

· Icon
627 Posts
I'm logged in right now to my account and I can get a DVR for $69, installation included.

I don't know why you had all these problems. Personally, I have always been able to get some kind of deal on new/additional hardware.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
People do see different things when they login to their account and check upgrades. There is some field on an account called "Exclusive" that might entitle the sub to a better offer than someone that didn't have that check mark. That wasn't based on subscription level since I only had AT60 (well, it was AT40 for a bit). Payment history and longevity of service APPEARED to have more influence than subscription level.

The (install included) $49 for a SD receiver, $69 for a 625 have been all I've seen for a very long time. Actually, I don't remember anybody being charged for an upgrade install and an equipment charge - FOR A LEASE. If you purchase equipment to upgrade with, the install is additional.

· Icon
1,025 Posts
Doesn't sound like much of an install assuming you have a Dish 500. Run a second RG6 coax alongside the first one and connect it at both ends. For $119 that sounds like a pretty simple solution.

I sympathize with you regarding understanding some of the CSRs. You wait on hold until someone comes on and then cannot understand them, let alone ask difficult questions. Hardly motivates you to hang up and try again which is pretty much the only solution. Not sure if you have bailed yet or not but if not you may want to send a note to [email protected] Sometimes you will get a response and they will fix the situation. Tell your story and tell them what you want to do and see what happens. You have waited this long, a couple more days can't hurt.

..Doyle

· Legend
184 Posts
HDMe said:
I don't understand why everyone expects free stuff.

I know why people want free stuff... but expecting it?

Of course DirecTV will offer some free stuff to get you to be a customer... but once you are their customer, they will not give you more free stuff later either!
Wrong!
I've been with D* since May 2000. 18 Months ago I called to get HD setup. They provided a HD receiver, new 3 lnb dish, 2 new D10-300 SD receivers, installed 2 new cables and gave me 6 months of free Showtime. My cost was $0/nada/nothing for equipment and complete install. And all this was completed 46 hours after I called them! D* is very generous to existing customers that have paid their bill on time etc. unlike E* who seems to value new customers but don't take care of existing customers.:)

· Registered
2,396 Posts
skoprowski said:
...They lost my business over $119.00- to me that doesn't make good business sense.
Or put another way, for $119 you left a company that you had been happy with for four years to jump ship to a company with which you have no track record. To me that may not indicate good common sense. :rolleyes:

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
skoprowski said:
What is your current setup? I'm sure it's because you have traditionally paid for more packaging then I have.
Have you double checked your offer from D*? That offer is better than the standard new customer offer and I am wondering if you understood what you are actually being offered? Standard new customer offer is to pay $99 for the DVR and then get a $100 rebate making the DVR free. In some zipcodes you do qualify for a $150 rebate $10/Mo. for 15 months. If you subscribe to the Total choice plus package with Showtime and Starz you pay $59.99/Mo. and there is no DVR fee for those 12 Mo.
This is not what you claim to be offered so I suggest you verify what you are really offered not what you wanted to hear.:)

· Godfather
485 Posts
Badger said:
Wrong!
I've been with D* since May 2000. 18 Months ago I called to get HD setup. They provided a HD receiver, new 3 lnb dish, 2 new D10-300 SD receivers, installed 2 new cables and gave me 6 months of free Showtime. My cost was $0/nada/nothing for equipment and complete install. And all this was completed 46 hours after I called them! D* is very generous to existing customers that have paid their bill on time etc. unlike E* who seems to value new customers but don't take care of existing customers.:)
D* sure wasn't with me, after MANY years of on-time payments, etc., which isn't why I'm with E* now, though. That's because of the horrible HD service, both content and hardware.

Unless something has changed recently, neither E* nor D* seem to care all that much abut keeping current subscribers. There have been plenty of gripes on the D* forums about long-time customers getting lousy deals, while new customers are treated like royalty. At least, until the contract is in force.:)

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
I sympathize with you regarding understanding some of the CSRs.
At least he was able to talk to a real person rather than being forced to talk to a computer named "Kaitlyn". Try calling XM sometime. :rolleyes: You not only have to "talk" to "Kaitlyn" but then IF you do get a person you can't understand them either. I had to speak to 4 CSR's at XM today, all except the last were in the Philipines and were marginally understandable.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Presence said:
A recurring theme here seems to be you need to log on to your online account and see what that says for upgrade options.
That's exactly what I did.

FYI- Directv deal I got:

39.99 a month for 12 months for total choice package (24 month commitment) then the next 12 months got back to $44.99 or what ever the price is at that time.
$99.00 for the DVR with a $100.00 mail in rebate
$150 ($10.00 a month for 15 months) rebate - it was extended even though it originally ended on 10/31/06
$100.00 cash back rebate

I called 3x to verify all of this. My zip code allowed for the 15 month rebate and my credit was checked to see if I qualified for everything else. No lease fee on the DVR just the standard dvr fee.

Not sure why I didn't the offers many of you got. I've always paid my bill on time.

I guess the main thing about the whole situation is what was already stated- you're treated well when you are a new subscriber but current suscribers are taken for granted.

BTW- I considered switching to Directv because 5 of my coworkers and friends all have Directv and was very pleased with the service. I was the only oddball with Dish. I felt confident in switching after talking to them.

· Hall Of Fame
2,584 Posts
SaltiDawg said:
Or put another way, for $119 you left a company that you had been happy with for four years to jump ship to a company with which you have no track record. To me that may not indicate good common sense. :rolleyes:
So true...most folks have never heard of DirecTV. The guy's really taking a gamble here :nono: sheesh!

I can't understand why he gets jumped all over for making a decision that was financially advantageous for him. I had the same issue with E* when I wanted an HD DVR a year ago. I'd had AEP for over four years with CC AutoPay. Best they'd offer me was $499 for a 922. I ended up with a DirecTivo for $250 and 3 more SD Tivos for $99 each. Sold all of my E* equipment and came out a little richer for it. While I'm sure somebody would pounce on the fact that E* has more HD content, I record the majority of my HD stuff OTA and couldn't get by with the single OTA tuner Dish has to offer.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
It would seem you are charged $50 for an install. Mine also says it is only good thru 1Nov, but Install is free:

SHIPPED
Replace a receiver already on your account - we'll ship the receiver to your home INSTALLED
Add standard professional installation for FREE

Select a Standard Definition, DVR, or High Definition receiver for one room of service
$49.00 $49.00

Select a Standard Definition or DVR receiver for two rooms of service (or "Picture in Picture" for 1 TV)
$69.00 $69.00

Select an HD-DVR for two rooms of service
$199.99 $199.99

It doesn't matter much, but I'm curious if you purchased your current receiver or leased it a long time ago. If leased, does you monthly bill show DHA or Digital Home Advantage, or instead something like "Digital Dynamite" or "Digital Home Plan"? In particular, was the price you paid for AT60 $29.99 (or $34.99 with locals) or was it $5 more to start with? People under the older lease plan paid an extra $5 for the 1st receiver but that included "insurance".

It is very true that different subscribers see (and qualify for) different upgrades, and it isn't all based on payment history, subscription level, ... whatever. You'll probably do just fine w/ DirecTV and I wish you well.

· Cool Member
29 Posts
My father-in-law just left Dish Network for DirecTV lower DVR prices. He had been a Dish Network customer for just about ten years. Then my brother-in-law left Dish Network for DirectTV after five years of service. So far Dish Network has taken care of me with four DVR upgrades in the last year (2-622's this year). :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.