DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a reader for a while but don't post much. I had hoped this would be fixed by now but it still doesn't seem to be.

I have a 622 hooked up to an Onkyo receiver via digital connect. On any channel that supports Dolby Digital (recorded or live/SD or HD) if I rewind a bit then play I lose all sound. Only way to fix this is to reboot the entire box. I can reproduce this every time. If I pause then hit play fast I will also lose sound.

My fix has been to change my sound to only PCM. It has seemed to work but I hate losing Dolby Digital. Any thoughts out there on this? Are others in the same boat as me? I'm sorry if this was elsewhere and I missed it.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
66 Posts
I rewind all the time when I'm skipping around commericials on the OTA channels that have 5.1, and I don't lose the sound.

I have completly lost my sound 5 or 6 times since 3.65, but I haven't been able to identify a pattern.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
66 Posts
Andy Smith said:
I've been a reader for a while but don't post much. I had hoped this would be fixed by now but it still doesn't seem to be.

I have a 622 hooked up to an Onkyo receiver via digital connect. On any channel that supports Dolby Digital (recorded or live/SD or HD) if I rewind a bit then play I lose all sound. Only way to fix this is to reboot the entire box. I can reproduce this every time. If I pause then hit play fast I will also lose sound.

My fix has been to change my sound to only PCM. It has seemed to work but I hate losing Dolby Digital. Any thoughts out there on this? Are others in the same boat as me? I'm sorry if this was elsewhere and I missed it.
I sometimes lose sound for maybe a couple of seconds after rewind or skips, but it always comes back. I just assumed that was normal. I also use a Onkyo receiver set to Auto-Detect on the Optical input. I think in my case the Onkyo is causing my momentary audio drop until resyn.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
860 Posts
I've had my 622 for about 3 weeks now. It was a new unit (not a refurb) and its first software was L365. I haven't had the audio loss problem yet (knock on wood). I'm connected to my Yamaha surround receiver with optical.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
83 Posts
I don't have this problem (Sony receiver). Andy, you might just have a bad 622. Have you talked to Dish and tried to get them to send you a new one?

Although I suppose it could be an issue with the Onkyo...
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Andy Smith said:
I've been a reader for a while but don't post much. I had hoped this would be fixed by now but it still doesn't seem to be.

I have a 622 hooked up to an Onkyo receiver via digital connect. On any channel that supports Dolby Digital (recorded or live/SD or HD) if I rewind a bit then play I lose all sound. Only way to fix this is to reboot the entire box. I can reproduce this every time. If I pause then hit play fast I will also lose sound.

My fix has been to change my sound to only PCM. It has seemed to work but I hate losing Dolby Digital. Any thoughts out there on this? Are others in the same boat as me? I'm sorry if this was elsewhere and I missed it.
I have an Onkyo TX-SR602 have not had the problem you are stating. Time to call advance tech or email [email protected].
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,055 Posts
icmoney said:
I sometimes lose sound for maybe a couple of seconds after rewind or skips, but it always comes back. I just assumed that was normal. I also use a Onkyo receiver set to Auto-Detect on the Optical input. I think in my case the Onkyo is causing my momentary audio drop until resyn.
I get this too on my Onkyo for Dolby Digital events. Only takes about a second until it comes back. I do not get this on events with PCM audio.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
66 Posts
Rob Glasser said:
I get this too on my Onkyo for Dolby Digital events. Only takes about a second until it comes back. I do not get this on events with PCM audio.
Yeah that sounds about right for my setup too. I really hadn't thought much about it until this thread. It doesn't bother me, but the OP seems to have a real problem.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have not tried support simply because I thought I would get the old "fix is in an upcoming update". This is the only real issue I have had with it too and didn't want any new ones by getting a new 622. I actually had one of the first batch of units so I've lived with this for a while. I think I'll first mess around with my receiver to be sure then call support for a replacement. At least I know that I shouldn't have to put up with this problem.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have the VIP622 HD-DVR and experience total loss of audio from the receiver fairly frequently. I have not been able to reproduce the problem on demand, but I can narrow down that it has only occured when a record is in progress, and I am watching another show and hit the jump-back button on the remote.

Up until now, I have had to reset the box. Tech support has been unhelpful, and because they won't even try to project a fix date, I have complaints initiated on several fronts.

I have finally found a small workaround that worked on my most recent experience with this issue. What I was able to do bring the audio back is to hit the PIP button on the remote and then the PIP SWAP, then go back to the program you were watching. This is a lot faster than resetting, and may avoid some lost shows which has happened to me when resetting in the past.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
Andy Smith said:
I have not tried support simply because I thought I would get the old "fix is in an upcoming update".
I understand your reluctance to call and waste 20-30 minutes of your time only to be told "it is a known issue" and that "there is no information for an estimated fix for the problem", but I am hoping they track the number of calls on a particular issue, and the more calls, the more attention the problem will get and the more likely we all are to get satisfaction. I would humbly ask that you make the call, at least once, just to register your problem with them.

Personally, I am tired of the poor service and lack of response by Dish, and have asked the BBB and my state Attorney General for assistance.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
optical or coax to the Onkyo? Have you tried pulling the audio connection to the receiver and replugging it to see if it locks back in. I have seen the optical on a 721 and now the 622 drop out for a second or two anytime I jumped forward or backwards or used the FF/Frev. The Sony I'm using now seems to lock back into the optical much quicker than the system it is replacing.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top