DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have noticed the sound is very low or muted on my local hd channels as compared to the non hd channels.I am always having to adjust the volume higher. is this a common problem or is my setup incorrect. thanks

·
Legend
203 Posts
activeone said:
i have noticed the sound is very low or muted on my local hd channels as compared to the non hd channels.I am always having to adjust the volume higher. is this a common problem or is my setup incorrect. thanks
My HD is the same thing. Not a big deal except when commercials come.

·
AllStar
53 Posts
activeone said:
It's normal..

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
activeone said:
Experiencing the same problem - my tv is supposed have an automatic volume level control, so you're blasted by commercials... but doesn't appear to adjust the HD channel volume up to SD levels.

(BTW - German72, why is this normal?)

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is not the just comercials it is the whole channel I was watching the football game last night in hd and when i changed the channel to the non hd the sound was much louder then the hd channel.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
SD channels are louder than HD on my system, too.

I hadn't thought too much about it, but hopefully someone can tell us why.

·
Legend
117 Posts
Is anybody else having trouble with the sound cutting out during live programming like nascar racing on NBC New York in HD?

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
paulman182 said:

Agreed - changing from local HD to local SD channel - also happens with HD HBO vs SD HBO...

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
activeone said:
Yes, the same happens to me..HD locals sound is lower than SD locals.

·
Legend
200 Posts
Yup, same thing for me. Haven't seen it on any wish lists or any explanation why.
Did it happen with the TIVO HD unit?

·
AllStar
75 Posts
I get this too and was wondering about it as well. I think it did happen on the HR10, just not as pronounced.

My theory is that the difference is in the way the audio channels are broadcast. Standard in SD and 21-5.1 in HD? Could be what is causing it.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
I'd like to add a couple things on this topic:

First, I've noticed on one show that there was a delay following commercials for the DD to kick back in. Not sure if it's the feed or my box, and it doesn't happen all the time.

Now the issue of the levels.

There is a noticeable difference in levels, but to me that's OK. What I don't like is that the audio doesn't seem to be mixed in true 5.1 DD. I can barely hear my subwoofer which usually helps to round out the dialogue and kicks in during musical passages. So what I think is going on is that the original audio track is merely mixed in stereo and then from there it's faked into a 5.1 environment - sorta like Dolby Prologic.

If this is the case, then the sound engineers for the program don't have to supply two seperate mixes for the show - but they're defaulting to the lowest common denomiator, and robbing us of the full experience. (Not unlike using the same title menus for both SD and HD programming)

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
paulman182 said:

It has nothing to do with D*...same thing happens OTA here...and NBC's digital is way, way too low. Been that way for a long time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.