DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Legend
217 Posts
NBC will almost look like their former sister channel "SportsChannel America". Least NBC doesnt have the (now defunct) WBL (World Basketball League).

·
Icon
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SportsChannel America was pretty cool. On the F4 satellite on Tr 1 before SportsChannel Philadelphia started. I wish someone would bring back those update screens that SportsChannel used to use all of the time when they didn't have programming. They would list updates and odds and injuries and what time the games were played. It was pretty neat to watch as it was pre-internet for me anyway.

·
Legend
112 Posts
Major League sports programming has become a double edged sword for the broadcast networks. The NFL is, by far, the most watched sports programming. There is so much prestige associated with carrying NFL games that networks such as FOX, ABC (including ESPN), and CBS are willing to bite the bullitt and suffer huge financial losses on their NFL contracts. NBC went along with this thinking for several years but, when rights fees rose to a ridiculous level, their parent company (GE) told them to pull the plug. GE did not get to the high corporate place that it occupies today by entering into money losing contracts. That's why NBC has decided to pass on all of the major sports contracts. Their sports programming (except for the Olympics) may look anemic but their bottom line looks much better for having dropped most professional sports. BTW, this trend of overpaying for sports programming is directly attributible to FOX and their egotistic head honcho Rupert Murdoch. Back in the mid 1990's he wanted the NFL so badly that he was prepared to pay any price to obtain rights to the NFC. From that day forward the die was cast and networks (except NBC) are throwing money at pro sports leagues by the bucketful. I get a retirement check from NBC each month and I'm glad they are trying to show some fiscal responsibility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts