Comedy Central's animated hit "South Park" is producing some episodes in high
definition, a network spokesman confirmed. At the request of the channel, Los
Angeles-based South Park Studios recently produced two episodes of the series
in the HD format.

The big question: Why?

Full story @ TVWeek.com

· Banned
11,498 Posts
The South Park movie looks excellent upconverted. It would be nice to see the show formatted for 16:9. I think going high def is the next move for such a great show like South Park, but I have to wonder how many years does the show have left. It jumped the shark many seasons ago and has a dwindling fan base.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
No. That's a good question, on what channel would it air. Maybe Showtime, but that seems unlikely, I'm sure an uncensored South Park would make bigger headlines then South Park in HD. Maybe HD Net or InHD.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Steve Mehs said:
No. That's a good question, on what channel would it air. Maybe Showtime, but that seems unlikely, I'm sure an uncensored South Park would make bigger headlines then South Park in HD. Maybe HD Net or InHD.
Last I knew HBO owned a major stake (if not the whole thing) in Comedy Central.

Way way back in the olden days... There was Comedy Channel and Ha!. At some point both of those merged and the resulting Comedy Central was owned by HBO.

If that has not changed, then I would expect HBO could air an HD created show on behalf of Comedy Central... Generally speaking, and with some exceptions, comedy is not inherently funnier in HD so I would expect this sort of channel to be one of the last to adopt HD.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
I thought Comedy Central was Viacom owned. A few years ago when Capt'n Chuck had his hissy hit with Viacom, I thought Comedy Central was removed along with Nick, MTV and the rest.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
Ok basically, The Comedy Channel was owned by Time Warner, Ha! was owned my Viacom, they merged to form Comedy Central, each company owned 50%, in 2003 Viacom bought out TWs share of CC and now it's fully owned by Viacom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Central

· Cool Member/Supporter
246 Posts
theratpatrol said:
Does Comedy Central even have an HD channel?
Let's hope so. lets hope all SD channels are working on HD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.