DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in South Florida. My OTA HD channels are routinely rec'd in Dolby Digital (3/2/1 or 3/2/0) format. This includes channels 4, 6, 7 and 10. However, the same local HD channels rec'd off satellite seem to be in standard ProLogic.

I have an HR20 receiver connected via HDMI to my Sony HDTV, which in turn is connected to my Denon receiver via optical cable. Thinking the problem might be the HDMI connection between HR20 and HDTV, I have tried bypassing the HDTV and connecting the HR20's optical cable directly to the Denon receiver, but the result is the same.

And yes, I have DD enabled on the HR20. I have even tried shutting it off and switching audio tracks. Same result.

My OTA is rec'd via an attic antenna connected directly to the HDTV via coax.

Is it possible that the locals rec'd by or transmitted by Directv do not include the DD track? Or is this a bug with the HR20?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
The MPEG4's most certainly do contain the DD, at least here in Chicago.

I know Florida has been reporting all sorts of issues with their MPEG-4, and it is is possible this is something on the encoding side.

Have you doubled checked the Denon to make sure it is set to an Auto Mode, or a mode that will play the DD if it get's it. (I only ask, as there have been people in the past reporting that after they did all the troubleshooting it ended up being a settign on the amp)

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
bch said:
I live in South Florida. My OTA HD channels are routinely rec'd in Dolby Digital (3/2/1 or 3/2/0) format. This includes channels 4, 6, 7 and 10. However, the same local HD channels rec'd off satellite seem to be in standard ProLogic.

I have an HR20 receiver connected via HDMI to my Sony HDTV, which in turn is connected to my Denon receiver via optical cable. Thinking the problem might be the HDMI connection between HR20 and HDTV, I have tried bypassing the HDTV and connecting the HR20's optical cable directly to the Denon receiver, but the result is the same.

And yes, I have DD enabled on the HR20. I have even tried shutting it off and switching audio tracks. Same result.

My OTA is rec'd via an attic antenna connected directly to the HDTV via coax.

Is it possible that the locals rec'd by or transmitted by Directv do not include the DD track? Or is this a bug with the HR20?
Startup problems with your MPEG-4/HD Locals. It could be anywhere, so just be patient as they iron it out (D* or the provider, it could be either one) These are typical startup problems with locals, OTA HD had similar problems when we first got HD OTA. Just hang in there. (and report it locally, in case the problem is on their end...and it probably is)

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.

Not a problem with the amp, as I simply disconnect the optical from the HDTV and plug it into the HR20. The identical amp setting (auto-digital) produces DD5.1 from an OTA source, but a vanilla ProLogic signal when fed by the HR20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.