DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much space is required to record an SD program broadcast OTA (or even HD Local) versus the same SD program coming in through Dish on the 622?

My situation is this... I want to record, say, The Simpsons. Comes in beautifully OTA or on the HD Local, but it's really an SD program. On SD coming in through Dish, it's blurry and fuzzy around the edges.

How much of a space difference is there between the two? Is there any way to tell?

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
My guess is that the Simpsons OTA is infact sent over as 1080i so just because it is a 4x3 format it still is sent at 16x9 just like any other HD program sent.

One way you can do this comparision is tape the same program and then delete each one and see how much space if freed up. That would give you a ball park number, but my guess is that the ratio would be similar to SD of a regular program on Dish vs. and HD version of the same program on OTA.

·
Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know why I didn't think of recording the shows and deleting them to see how much space is freed up. I guess I'm still in "Tivo" mode where they don't tell you how much space is available.

I'll give that a shot! Thanks for the info, Ron!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
"but it's really an SD program" may mean different things to different people. To me, it means that it is really a 480i program. I can tell it is a 480i program on my TV (4:3) because it fills the whole screen (I don't mean by changing the receivers output in any way). All "SD" satellite channels and OTA shows that come to the receiver as 480i do get converted to 720p/1080i when they come out HDMI or component, but those shows have no choice other than "Normal" from pressing the * button on the remote. For me at least, those shows take about the same amount of disk space. i.e. My OTA local PBS and CBS stations always have some 480i channel going. Right now, 13.0 and 13.2 have the 480i version of a Soap. 13.1 has the HD version of that soap, but it happens to be 4:3 and a postage stamp. Only the 13.1 takes "lots more" space than the other two. Starting two recordings of the soap on 13.0 and 13.2 take roughly the same disk space (13.2 about 133% of 13.0). How much better a 480i OTA picture would be than the sat local SD version depends on the DMA and how the picture is acquired. There is a sat local 29.0 that the wife records a show daily. It is clearly picked up OTA by DISH because when it is bad, it can take three times the normal disk space of a sat local channel (OTA noise is hugely bandwidth intensive).

At least for me, there isn't usually much difference recording shows where the Format (*) key does nothing. When watching something that isn't 480i, the * cycles through zoom/normal/grey/... and the recording takes a lot more disk space.

A 622 has slightly different software than my 942 so some of the above may not apply.

·
Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark Lamutt said:
cornflakes - most likely it's between 5 times and 8 times the amount of space required to record your digital OTA vs Dish SD sat channel.
Wow that's a lot more... But I suppose it does make sense! OTA HD is broadcasting in 720p or 1080i, even if the source material is 480i, so I guess there's no difference in bandwidth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.