DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was necessary punishment for the company - they are liable for screening own employees !
Try to imagine - if she was your grandma ..
totally agree with ya!!! if it was my grandma he would not have left :mad: . spectrum is a horrible company that don't care about there customers.. most of the employees in my area are horrible. i wonder how much longer they will be around i think there hated more than AT&T :D:rolleyes::oops:

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,049 Posts
Things are obviously different in Texas, but I wonder why more of the responsibility isn't being laid at the feet of Mr. Holden. Sure, Spectrum put an ID badge on him but they didn't train or direct him to kill. Further, he committed the murder on his own time. As an employer, there is a rather long list of questions that you're not allowed to ask. I'd also like to see that other companies go to greater effort to background check their technicians. Liability has always needed to consider industry standards.

Of course Mr. Holden is a financial turnip so there's no point in suing him.

·
Godfather
987 Posts
Not that there is a right price but 7 billion sounds like too much - never heard that much for a wrongful death issue. What ever it ends up costing in the end, we the customers will pay though our rates etc.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Things are obviously different in Texas, but I wonder why more of the responsibility isn't being laid at the feet of Mr. Holden. Sure, Spectrum put an ID badge on him but they didn't train or direct him to kill. Further, he committed the murder on his own time. As an employer, there is a rather long list of questions that you're not allowed to ask. I'd also like to see that other companies go to greater effort to background check their technicians. Liability has always needed to consider industry standards.

Of course Mr. Holden is a financial turnip so there's no point in suing him.
Holden is in prison for life. What else would you expect from him in the way of payment?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,049 Posts
No worries --No matter what the finial $$$ judgement is --it will all be passed along to the user to pay
They have insurance that covers a lot of this kind of hit. The sad part is now that there is new precedent, every company will be subject to higher liability insurance rates.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,049 Posts
Holden is in prison for life. What else would you expect from him in the way of payment?
I'm not saying that he didn't pay his price -- only that the price the employer is being asked to pay is arguably much, much higher given their level of participation.

Maybe the industry as a whole is considerably more active in doing background checks. I'm just imagining that plumbers, electricians and flooring installers aren't subjected to the kinds of background checks that seem to be expected here.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I'm not saying that he didn't pay his price -- only that the price the employer is being asked to pay is arguably much, much higher given their level of participation.

Maybe the industry as a whole is considerably more active in doing background checks. I'm just imagining that plumbers, electricians and flooring installers aren't subjected to the kinds of background checks that seem to be expected here.
Punitive damages are not intended to just punish those involved, but also to send a message to others that may be in similar circumstances to take action to prevent a similar outcome.

It occurs to me that many years ago when I worked as an appliance repairman making home visits, I was required to be bonded and insured as a condition of my employment. I know the bonding company did a background check, although I don't know how extensive it was. I was 17 at the time, so they didn't have far to look back anyway.

·
Super Moderator
53,746 Posts
The "actual damages" seemed high to me - but she wasn't my grandmother.

Some home service companies advertise the security of their technicians. One local heating and air place uses the line "technicians you can trust with your house keys". One certainly hopes that a major utility would have some measures to prevent hiring people who case customers homes for robberies.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
They have insurance that covers a lot of this kind of hit. The sad part is now that there is new precedent, every company will be subject to higher liability insurance rates.
NO company Has That Much Liability Insurance--ever or can afford the premiums :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ericknolls

·
Super Moderator
53,746 Posts
That's why Spectrum's insurance company will probably be the entity that appeals the fine.
Did you see this?
The headline itself contradicts your claim. The story also gives more detail about the crime. (The murderer went to the house in his work vehicle the day after install and killed the victim when he was discovered stealing credit cards. The company says the criminal background check "showed no arrests, convictions or other criminal behavior". "Nor did anything in Mr. Holden’s performance after he was hired suggest he was capable of the crime he committed, including more than 1,000 completed service calls with zero customer complaints about his behavior.”

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,589 Posts
"Nor did anything in Mr. Holden’s performance after he was hired suggest he was capable of the crime he committed, including more than 1,000 completed service calls with zero customer complaints about his behavior.”
He was a murder with a caution - he did carefully planned his crime, selecting right victim for him after many services...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts