DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,510 Posts
Things are obviously different in Texas, but I wonder why more of the responsibility isn't being laid at the feet of Mr. Holden. Sure, Spectrum put an ID badge on him but they didn't train or direct him to kill. Further, he committed the murder on his own time. As an employer, there is a rather long list of questions that you're not allowed to ask. I'd also like to see that other companies go to greater effort to background check their technicians. Liability has always needed to consider industry standards.

Of course Mr. Holden is a financial turnip so there's no point in suing him.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,510 Posts
No worries --No matter what the finial $$$ judgement is --it will all be passed along to the user to pay
They have insurance that covers a lot of this kind of hit. The sad part is now that there is new precedent, every company will be subject to higher liability insurance rates.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,510 Posts
Holden is in prison for life. What else would you expect from him in the way of payment?
I'm not saying that he didn't pay his price -- only that the price the employer is being asked to pay is arguably much, much higher given their level of participation.

Maybe the industry as a whole is considerably more active in doing background checks. I'm just imagining that plumbers, electricians and flooring installers aren't subjected to the kinds of background checks that seem to be expected here.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,510 Posts
The headline itself contradicts your claim.
As the insurance company has agency over things such as this, the headline could be misleading in terms of who will actually file the appeal.
The company says the criminal background check "showed no arrests, convictions or other criminal behavior". "Nor did anything in Mr. Holden’s performance after he was hired suggest he was capable of the crime he committed, including more than 1,000 completed service calls with zero customer complaints about his behavior.”
Apparently some party that hasn't been identified publicly suggested to someone at Spectrum that Mr. Holden was trouble and that's what the case seems to hinge on. It sounds like the background checks didn't contemplate/validate this hearsay.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,510 Posts
They did all the necessary checks and his background was clean.
The plaintiff's attorneys seem to have convinced the jury that Spectrum was given some disturbing information about Mr. Holden that they didn't act on and that appears to be what swung the findings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts