DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
5 Posts
You underestimate the power of new liability. a $7 BILLION judgment (even if they likely will never pay that much) will cause a MASSIVE reevaluation of how they do things. Even the dumbest company in the world would stop and think after this.

I doubt that they will change any business practice unless they find (internally) that they did something wrong.

·
5 Posts
$7 Billion... sigh. While in this case, there is a very real victim, this pushes the absurdity of lawsuit awards beyond that of a fool putting a coffee cup from McDonalds between her legs and then suing because she squeezed the cup and got hot coffee on her legs...

Armchair quarterback and all, because we don't have all the evidence and arguments before us... but I would really like to know how Spectrum could have prevented this. They did the usual background checks (apparently no hits), What else were they to do? Time and again, course have not held companies responsible for employee actions when not working for the company.

I saw a FedEx shirt at a Goodwill a couple years ago... if someone bought that shirt, then put it on and robbed someone - would FedEx be legally liable? I don't think that is much more of an extension in the "logic".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts