DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered why Directv only has a splitter that lets you send signal to 4 rooms? My house has 8-10 rooms wired for TV signal but I can only feed 4. It would be nice if I could feed them all and then more easily move my 4 TVs around. 2 are always going to be in the same place, but I'd like to move the other 2 and wish I could avoid the time-consuming task of figuring out which wire goes where in the house.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Which splitter are you referring to?

The one in the dish? or the multiswitch that is added on?

There are so many different multiswitches out there.

There are some as large as 2x32 (fairly old, and not common any more, as there are more then 2 sat signals now).

Most comonly it is 4x8 so you would 8 feeds.

You can purchases 4x12 ; 4x16
And just recently...
There are some for the latest generation of dishes (AT9/Slimline)
That will output 16 with just one switch.

I have 20 HOT ports in my house, and I could easily add more, with just adding another swtich.

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
fu_paladins said:
I've always wondered why Directv only has a splitter that lets you send signal to 4 rooms? My house has 8-10 rooms wired for TV signal but I can only feed 4. It would be nice if I could feed them all and then more easily move my 4 TVs around. 2 are always going to be in the same place, but I'd like to move the other 2 and wish I could avoid the time-consuming task of figuring out which wire goes where in the house.
1. They are switches, not "splitters" -- big difference.

2. Have you thought of labeling your "wires"?

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - the thought of labeling the wires has crossed my mind. Maybe I'm just lazy for wanting to take the time to hook things up, test, and label.

The switch I have right now is their standard 2X4.

Upon more detailed review, what I need is a switch to handle 2 in and 9 out.

You mention that I can buy this. Any suggestions of good places to look?

Also, when I get the ports hot - do I need a receiver at every TV?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I'm new to satellite (installed in April of this year) and dumb by decades of using cable.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
fu_paladins said:
Yes - the thought of labeling the wires has crossed my mind. Maybe I'm just lazy for wanting to take the time to hook things up, test, and label.

Sorry for the dumb questions. I'm new to satellite (installed in April of this year) and dumb by decades of using cable.
Your best bet is to go with two 4x8's or 6x8's

There are some 2x12's or 2x16's.
Or you can go with 2x8's

Taking the appropriate outputs from one switch to power the inputs on the second, to get you the 9 feeds you want.

You can use a 4 input switch, even though you only have a 2 line system.
You just have to make sure you connect them to the rights ports.

As for the ports being hot..... you don't have to have a receiver on each hot output.

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, the 4x8 or 6x8 would give me the option of adding HD, etc. later?

So, I could keep the 2x4 I have now, run 2 of the outputs to an additional 2,4,or 6 x8. Do is matter which output goes into the 13v or 18v on the new switch?

Sorry for all the questions. If there is a good site that explains all this, please let me know and I'll go read up on it.

Can I buy this stuff at Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, Home Depot, etc? Or do I need to special order off the internet?

Last thing - for the hot ports with TV (but no receiver) - will I be able to change channels?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Yes, you could take 2 of the 2x4 outputs to another 2x8 to give you a total of 10 outputs.

Check your PM as well, as I am going to send you a direct message.

· Banned
378 Posts
fu_paladins said:

You NEED one of these to keep from walking yourself to death. Use the "toner" and label your lines. (no thought ... no stress... and one @ a time).
12-13 bucks for stress relief
Line Font Auto part Office supplies Tool

For Switches try Skywalker (supply house) for good prices.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.