DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend intends to buy a DireecTivo and slpit the signal with a conventional splitter. I have told him that it won't work but he won't believe me. What problems is he likely to encounter?

· Banned
6,970 Posts
It should work but he will only get half of the channels from his LNB, this is due to the fact that only one polarity is being sent down the wire.

I know I tried this once when I had by C Band dish, and this was my finding.

· Founder
17,247 Posts
It will cause problems. For one, unless he puts a DC block on the line he will be feeding DC voltage back into each receiver. He should have a DC blocker at least coming from one of the receivers. That way, only one receiver is controlling the polarity switch in the LNB. The drawback is that the second receiver will only receive half the channels.

I can be done but the result is not exactly a good way to watch satellite TV.

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
The real answer is to get a multiswitch - run all feeds from the LNB(S) to the input side of the multiswitch, and run individual lines from each output port to each tuner. However, if the DTivo is his ONLY receiver, he could get by just running both LNB outputs directly to the DTivo's Sat In ports. It would be far better for him to use his DTivo in single tuner mode than to try to "split" the signal.

8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There would only be one receiver involved a DirecTivo with the line split. I will pass this on but i think this is one of those situations where he won't believe it till he sees it.

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Originally posted by ken4kne
A multi only costs about $75 for that kind of setup. That will get you a 3 in 4 out and I bought it Radio Shack.
You can get much cheaper than that if you buy online at www.minidishes.tv

I bought a 2X6 multiswitch from them for $54. They have 3X4 multiswitches for around $40. I got mine delivered in two days.

· Cool Member
23 Posts
While you guys are tuned in to this topic...I could use some help too. I've checked many multi-room diagrams; they don't clarify the answer, which may be obvious but it's not clear to me.

I'm about to buy the UTV Dual (2) Sony SAT-W60 system. and so I'm planning my cable installation. Where will I place the MultiSwitch? My dish will be 25 feet from the ideal GroundBlock spot along the way into the house.

My longest cable run from dish is 25+GroundBlock+77 feet =102.

Shortest run is 25+GroundBlock+38 feet =63 .

I am trying to minimize both cost and cable customizing, but if I have to cut&crimp bulk cable I could use your help to find Beige or even White RG6.

1] Where will I place the 2x4 MultiSwitch, at/near the dish so I have to run FOUR cables all the way to the 4 tuners? Or can I run 2 cables from the Dual-LNB to the MultiSwitch inside the house then branch out the four cables from there to the four tuners? Prettier.

2] Are MultiSwitches weatherproof, if placed at the dish?

8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope someone learns from this. My friend still thinks it is as simple as slplitting the cable that goes into his receiver now. I tried.

· Hall Of Fame
1,513 Posts
Originally posted by Geronimo
I hope someone learns from this. My friend still thinks it is as simple as slplitting the cable that goes into his receiver now. I tried.
He'll learn real quick. He'll start getting the "Searching for satellite signal on tuner #1 or #2" all the time.

G

·
If his aim is to watch in other rooms he could simply split the receicers output to the tv. However by doing this you would be watching the same program on all tvs. Also if your remote was IR you wouldnt be able to control it from other rooms without an aftermarket product.
I mention this because you say he will only have one reciever which makes me think what exactly is the point of splitting if you only have one. I dont know anything about tivo so perhaps it has something to do with that someone correct me if Im wrong here.

· God Bless America!
2,534 Posts
He can split the signal from the DirecTiVo with a splitter no problem. He CAN NOT split the signal from the LNBF to two receivers without major problems unless he has a stacked LNBF (which he doesn't, as it's not a commecial installation). But if he just has one receiver, he can split the signal coming out of the box no problem.

· God Bless America!
2,534 Posts
"While you guys are tuned in to this topic...I could use some help too. I've checked many multi-room diagrams; they don't clarify the answer, which may be obvious but it's not clear to me."

'kay

"I'm about to buy the UTV Dual (2) Sony SAT-W60 system. and so I'm planning my cable installation."

I'd consider DirecTiVo's - I've used both and I know I'd buy a DirecTiVo over the UltimateTV anyday - TiVo has a far nicer setup

" Where will I place the MultiSwitch?"

Doesn't matter much really (DirecTV only - they use tone switches - DISH switches are less reliable (but more advanced) serial switches and must be as close to the receiver as possible)

" My dish will be 25 feet from the ideal GroundBlock spot along the way into the house."

Not bad at all

"My longest cable run from dish is 25+GroundBlock+77 feet =102.

Shortest run is 25+GroundBlock+38 feet =63 ."

Both more than acceptable provided you use decent cable that can carry the voltage

"I am trying to minimize both cost and cable customizing, but if I have to cut&crimp bulk cable I could use your help to find Beige or even White RG6."

That'll be tough, but it exists. I've also seen some nice pretty blue stuff:)

"1] Where will I place the 2x4 MultiSwitch, at/near the dish so I have to run FOUR cables all the way to the 4 tuners? Or can I run 2 cables from the Dual-LNB to the MultiSwitch inside the house then branch out the four cables from there to the four tuners? Prettier."

I'd suggest using your multiswitch as a ground block, reducing connections (and therefore signal loss).

"2] Are MultiSwitches weatherproof, if placed at the dish?"

Yes, they are more or less waterproof.

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Originally posted by Mark
I'd consider DirecTiVo's - I've used both and I know I'd buy a DirecTiVo over the UltimateTV anyday - TiVo has a far nicer setup

"2] Are MultiSwitches weatherproof, if placed at the dish?"

Yes, they are more or less waterproof.
The problem is finding a Directivo for a good price. I have also used both, and prefer UTV (obviously since I have purchased two of them). You can get a two room UTV setup for free (including the dish and keyboards) after rebate, or for $39 per unit for existing customers through www.minidishes.tv

Both are great units BTW, and the pros and cons of each has been argued to death.

ALL multi-switches specifically state that they are for indoor use only. It'd suck to spend $50 for a multi-switch and have it wrecked the first time it rained. The only one I have ever found that was waterproof is a 3X4 unit from minidishes.tv for $49.50. You can find it at Ebay, just type in item #1347585907.

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Mark, thank you for your specific answers above to OwnersEdge.

Karl_f said "ALL multi-switches specifically state that they are for indoor use only. It'd suck to spend $50 for a multi-switch and have it wrecked the first time it rained."

Economy class, if you don't need waterproof:
Originally posted by OwnersEdge
Try DirecDuo for Perfect Vision brand 3x4 MultiSwitch [also available at several higher priced places] - $19.50 + SH.

http://www.directduo.com/products.c...f8-000b2c1f-cccf-1cc6-9e19-303240ef703f&PID=5

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Originally posted by OwnersEdge
While you guys are tuned in to this topic...I could use some help too. I've checked many multi-room diagrams; they don't clarify the answer, which may be obvious but it's not clear to me.

Attached is my multi-room UTV setup using a 2X6 multi-switch. It is in Adobe Acrobat. Hopefully it will help.

I tried to attach it, but the system won't let me. If you want it, send me a PM and I'll e-mail it to you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.