DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have 2 SD boxes and one HDDVR. I want to drop a new line to my kitchen. What do I need to split the signal from my bed room? I have tried a standard 3-way splitter, but there is no signal on either SD box after that.

Sorry for the basic question.

Thanks!!!

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
When you have Cable, the coax only carries signal, and it's the same signal going to all TVs/boxes, so you can use splitters.

Satellite lines send both signal AND power, and both the signal and the voltage can be different on different lines. Thus, simple splitters can't be used. Instead, you need a multi-switch, which connects each receiver line to the proper set of signals from the dish.

The multiswitch you need is the Zinwell WB68 switch. DirecTV will install one for free for you if you order your receiver upgrade through them. If you want to do it yourself, you can get them from places like Solidsignal.com. All four lines from the dish must be connected to the first 4 inputs of the switch. The switch has 8 outputs on the bottom to feed the individual tuners on the receivers.

· AllStar
78 Posts
What kind of dish do you have? I assume one of the 5 lnb ones if you have an HD DVR. If so your dish supports 4 tuners (1 each for the sd boxes and 2 for the DVR). Then you just need to run a new cable directly from the dish. If you only want one cable in each location and still be able to use both tuners of the DVR then you need a SWM.

Which boxes are in which location and how are they currently set up? This info will be able to help people give you a more accurate answer.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
gotoakandfreeze said:
Hello,

I have 2 SD boxes and one HDDVR. I want to drop a new line to my kitchen. What do I need to split the signal from my bed room? I have tried a standard 3-way splitter, but there is no signal on either SD box after that.

Sorry for the basic question.

Thanks!!!
You have some good answers here for adding a 4th receiver and feeding 5-8 tuners.

If you are trying to repeat a signal, in the kitchen, from another receiver; you are talking about running long AV cables from outlets on the back of one of your receivers. Depending on the receiver, it is possible to use composite or RG6 to feed the kitchen TV.

Is this what you are looking to do?

· AllStar
78 Posts
I think he just wants to split a current cable that is closer to the kitchen than the dish. This can be done with a SWM and using a power passing splitter on one of the SWM outlets. But that would require both SD boxes to be D12s I believe. Otherwise he would have to use the legacy ports which cant be split without a multiswitch. Again, more info is required on how the current cables are run and where and what each of the receivers is.

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brockley said:
I think he just wants to split a current cable that is closer to the kitchen than the dish. This can be done with a SWM and using a power passing splitter on one of the SWM outlets. But that would require both SD boxes to be D12s I believe. Otherwise he would have to use the legacy ports which cant be split without a multiswitch. Again, more info is required on how the current cables are run and where and what each of the receivers is.
First, thank you for all of the replies! It has been a busy weekend! My original plan was to remove my HDTV from the living room and make a home theater room in the 4th bedroom. I have an open floor plan, and my living room TV is in plain view of the kitchen. We moved the TV, and missed the ability to watch TV and cook. I had the HDDVR installed. They installed one of those switches (forgot the name). Everything makes perfect sense now.

I did not know that the D* signal was different. I don't think I am going to run a new line to the kitchen because I bought a new TV for the home theater room. The old one is back in the living room (it didn't work when I moved it back... after the install, the coupler had less voltage than the other wall outlets. Shot for power and figured that one out... thanks!!!)

I hope my hurried response makes some sense...

DBS is by far the most responsive forum I have ever posted to.

Thank you!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.