DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of day ago, I wrote that under 0xFA the HR20 was finally recording NHL Center Ice games. After all, it recorded three in a row, so I was excited, until I got home from work yesterday, that is. The recording light was not on, and the history list showed the Isles @ Pens game as "Canceled." So much for this POS almost becoming a DVR. I guess for now I just have a more expensive version of the H20.

All I can say is, why is everyone so concerned about enabling OTA when they have yet to enable DVR!!!:mad:
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tjdevaul said:
Had the same exact issue with the canes/sens game. Got home and showed as canceled.:(
I noticed that your location is NC. Do you watch the Canes over Center Ice, or your local affiliate?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
islesfan said:
A couple of day ago, I wrote that under 0xFA the HR20 was finally recording NHL Center Ice games. After all, it recorded three in a row, so I was excited, until I got home from work yesterday, that is. The recording light was not on, and the history list showed the Isles @ Pens game as "Canceled." So much for this POS almost becoming a DVR. I guess for now I just have a more expensive version of the H20.

All I can say is, why is everyone so concerned about enabling OTA when they have yet to enable DVR!!!:mad:
That is not true. It is a DVR.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blitz68 said:
That is not true. It is a DVR.
How can you call it a DVR? DVR stands for Digital Video RECORDER. Since this machine is hit or miss on recordings (never mind the unwatchable bug), it doesn't yet qualify as a RECORDER. Therefore, it is nothing but a receiver with a hard drive that acts as a slot machine. 777, yay! I get to watch Heroes this week! :grin: Bar Bar Cherry, crap, no hockey game! :mad:
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
islesfan said:
How can you call it a DVR? DVR stands for Digital Video RECORDER. Since this machine is hit or miss on recordings (never mind the unwatchable bug), it doesn't yet qualify as a RECORDER. Therefore, it is nothing but a receiver with a hard drive that acts as a slot machine. 777, yay! I get to watch Heroes this week! :grin: Bar Bar Cherry, crap, no hockey game! :mad:
I'm sorry you've been having problems with the HR20.
If you are so unhappy unhook the HR20 and put it in the closet or see if you can return it to DIRECTV. You'll be much happier.

Coming here to say it's not a DVR and listing it as HR20-700 POS :mad: :mad: :mad: on your sig isn't going to solve anything.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
glennb said:
I'm sorry you've been having problems with the HR20.
If you are so unhappy unhook the HR20 and put it in the closet or see if you can return it to DIRECTV. You'll be much happier.

Coming here to say it's not a DVR and listing it as HR20-700 POS :mad: :mad: :mad: on your sig isn't going to solve anything.
You're probably right... Posting that in his sig isn't going to solve anything. HOWEVER..... What do you suggest will solve it?

I too am having the same issue with games not being recorded. Even when I verify the morning of, come gametime nothing is recording. :(
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
glennb said:
I'm sorry you've been having problems with the HR20.
If you are so unhappy unhook the HR20 and put it in the closet or see if you can return it to DIRECTV. You'll be much happier.

Coming here to say it's not a DVR and listing it as HR20-700 POS :mad: :mad: :mad: on your sig isn't going to solve anything.
I really want this to become a DVR, after all I paid for it. Last week, it actually recorded 3 hockey games in a row, so I thought it might actually be a functioning DVR, and I changed my sig to reflect that. However, this whole situation has gotten me so angry that the sig is just one way to vent. Nevertheless, D* has reconnected my reliable TiVo as a backup, since that has never missed a recording in the 3 years that I have had it. What really burns me is the random nature of this system. Having to babysit the todo list is not what you should have to do with a DVR. This actually takes more effort than a VCR (because you only had to set a VCR once per program)! Nevertheless, good old reliable TiVo is not in HD.

I should note that in the time that I have had the HR20 POS (since 10/7/06), my backup TiVo has never missed a single recording, even though it sits there completely ignored until I have to use it to watch all the stuff the HR20 misses/cancels/deletes.

Returning the HR20 is not a viable option. I purchased (leased) what was represented to me to be a functioning unit, only to find that I just signed up to beta test at my own expense! I don't want my money back, I want the HR20 to work as advertised (a DVR)!
 

· Icon
Joined
·
770 Posts
glennb said:
I'm sorry you've been having problems with the HR20.
If you are so unhappy unhook the HR20 and put it in the closet or see if you can return it to DIRECTV. You'll be much happier.

Coming here to say it's not a DVR and listing it as HR20-700 POS :mad: :mad: :mad: on your sig isn't going to solve anything.
I don't think posts like this solve anything either. This forum has become a place for people to come and complain about the HR20. Why? Many people have and continue to have problems getting the unit to work reliably as a DVR. Where else are they going to go? DirecTV has no official means of reporting problems except for talking to a CSR (and we all know that's been working). Telling someone who has bought a product that doesn't work correctly to essentially "suck it up" just validates the extremely poor way in which DirecTV has treated it's HR20 customers and their "head in the sand" way of ignoring us. This product has been out for months and only recently have some CSRs actually admitted that there are problems, but we're still being offered lame support and lame "fixes" ("Have your restarted your DVR? Let's do that first and see if it solves the problem.").

If the HR20 worked as reliably as the previous TiVo DVRs that DirecTV offered (and that's a completely fair comparison) then this forum would be the kind of upbeat, I'm thrilled with my TiVo, kind of place that TiVo Community Forums has become where the overwhelming tone of the forum is not one of anger, frustration and complaint.

Maybe the forum should be split up into "I love my HR20, I've never had a problem with it, anybody that has is an idiot" and "This is the most unreliable consumer product that I've ever purchased". Then all of the people who've never had a problem won't have to see any posts from people that have.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
85 Posts
islesfan said:
A couple of day ago, I wrote that under 0xFA the HR20 was finally recording NHL Center Ice games. After all, it recorded three in a row, so I was excited, until I got home from work yesterday, that is. The recording light was not on, and the history list showed the Isles @ Pens game as "Canceled." So much for this POS almost becoming a DVR. I guess for now I just have a more expensive version of the H20.

All I can say is, why is everyone so concerned about enabling OTA when they have yet to enable DVR!!!:mad:
Well,

I'll give you the highlights:

Colby Armstrong hat trick (first three goals of the season) if you count what should have been a give away goal on an empty net penalty shot that wasn't called.

Either way, it was a great game from my seat!
 

· Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
TomF said:
If the HR20 worked as reliably as the previous TiVo DVRs that DirecTV offered (and that's a completely fair comparison) then this forum would be the kind of upbeat, I'm thrilled with my TiVo, kind of place that TiVo Community Forums has become where the overwhelming tone of the forum is not one of anger, frustration and complaint.
I agree with your post in general. It should be noted, though, that the HR10-250 portion of TCF is not all that happy a place these days either, after Tivo and D* screwed the pooch for many users with the 6.3 upgrade. (Mine is staying on 3.1.5f and working fine).

D* just can't seem to do anything right these days. It's rather sad. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new satellites end up crashing into the ocean :)
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
57 Posts
bwaldron said:
I agree with your post in general. It should be noted, though, that the HR10-250 portion of TCF is not all that happy a place these days either, after Tivo and D* screwed the pooch for many users with the 6.3 upgrade. (Mine is staying on 3.1.5f and working fine).

D* just can't seem to do anything right these days. It's rather sad. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new satellites end up crashing into the ocean :)
Or not deploying their solar panels and antenna's. :p

So much for free satelite TV for China...
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
94 Posts
I'm just wondering islesfan, have you tried recording anything other than hockey on Center Ice? I have recorded a bunch of programs on many different channels with no issues but I have yet to record any sports at all. I've been reading that some people are having a similar problem with NFL games. Maybe it's a copyright issue that needs to addressed.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
25 Posts
This particular issue only seems to affect premium sports packages. It appears to have something to do with their DRM software. There use to be a problem where recordings were stopped and deleted when games ended and the channel went "dark". They seem to have resolved this issue in the FA release. Now we are having issues with recordings being canceled and deleted at the beginning sometimes. I have had it happen to me a few times with NBA League Pass. The game actually starts to record but stops and deletes shortly thereafter. Once I was fortunate enough to be in the room when it happened and I was able to start the recording again and it worked fine.

I suspect that the issue is related to the feed coming on a minute or two late so once again the DRM software thinks you don't have a right to record the show so it cancels and deletes it. It may also be a situation where the channel, for whatever reason, goes dark for a second or two at any point in the game. The second that happens the DRM software stops and deletes that recording.

If you happen to be around to see it's not recording and can re-start it you are in good shape. I always backup record the games I want to watch on my Tivo in the bedroom. I have never missed or lost a recording for NBALP on that unit in 10 years.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
djstough said:
Well,

I'll give you the highlights:

Colby Armstrong hat trick (first three goals of the season) if you count what should have been a give away goal on an empty net penalty shot that wasn't called.

Either way, it was a great game from my seat!
Lately the HR20 has recorded the games the Isles went on to win, and dumped the ones they lost. Is this a new feature? :D

Anyway, I caught it on the TiVo later, and if only for an inch...:nono2:
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sb999 said:
This particular issue only seems to affect premium sports packages. It appears to have something to do with their DRM software. There use to be a problem where recordings were stopped and deleted when games ended and the channel went "dark". They seem to have resolved this issue in the FA release. Now we are having issues with recordings being canceled and deleted at the beginning sometimes. I have had it happen to me a few times with NBA League Pass. The game actually starts to record but stops and deletes shortly thereafter. Once I was fortunate enough to be in the room when it happened and I was able to start the recording again and it worked fine.

I suspect that the issue is related to the feed coming on a minute or two late so once again the DRM software thinks you don't have a right to record the show so it cancels and deletes it. It may also be a situation where the channel, for whatever reason, goes dark for a second or two at any point in the game. The second that happens the DRM software stops and deletes that recording.

If you happen to be around to see it's not recording and can re-start it you are in good shape. I always backup record the games I want to watch on my Tivo in the bedroom. I have never missed or lost a recording for NBALP on that unit in 10 years.
Since the 0xFA release, the only thing that has auto canceled/deleted has been NHL Center Ice games, one episode of Heroes(HD) and one of Numb3rs (HD) (all in all, a pretty good week for the HR20). I have always suspected what you wrote here, but no way to prove it. Nevertheless, how hard can it be? I mean, TiVo records them all. I think the issue is more one of the game coming on a moment late, not minutes, and it still dumps the record. Why not just record anyway? That's the TiVo method. Near the end of the 2003 season, I was recording the Isles @ Flyers, and due to FSNY problems, the game didn't come on until mid second period. No signal at all for the first hour. TiVo recorded anyway, and I just FF through the first hour, and there it was. How hard is this to do?

Anyway, I'll go home tonight and see if I am lucky to get the Isles Flyers game. Since the Flyers are awful, and the Isles likely to win, I can test my theory as to the HR20 only canceling the games the Isles are about to lose. :D
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,745 Posts
bwaldron said:
I agree with your post in general. It should be noted, though, that the HR10-250 portion of TCF is not all that happy a place these days either, after Tivo and D* screwed the pooch for many users with the 6.3 upgrade. (Mine is staying on 3.1.5f and working fine).

D* just can't seem to do anything right these days. It's rather sad. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new satellites end up crashing into the ocean :)
But "our" problem is strictly with FOX Over the Air channels having audio dropouts from time to time. But the 6.3 upgrade provided significantly faster menus and response time and folders (like the HR20).

"Our" problem isn't really that big a deal, IMHO. At least the TiVo records what it's supposed to ;)
 

· Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
Reports of the sports package recording problems, along with the lack of dual buffers and OTA being unavailable yet are the key factors leading me to stay with my HR10-250.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
islesfan said:
Lately the HR20 has recorded the games the Isles went on to win, and dumped the ones they lost. Is this a new feature?
I was happy to see the light on when I got home yesterday, I mean, they were playing the Flyers, should have been an easy 2. Well, the game resorded and played back perfectly, but the Isles lost.

Seriously, I am happy that it recorded...
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top