DBSTalk Forum banner

Sports Pack Preview sept 19th - 22nd

4K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  b00stedeg 
#1 ·
A little birdy told me that....
6am on the 19th through
6am on the 22nd EST.

#5 ·
When they have a free preview of the Sports Pack, do they do the standard blacking out of professional sporting events (i.e. MLB and NHL, based on the individual's geographic location)?

I ask, because back when I signed on to DirecTV, I think there may have been a similar Sports Pack preview going on, because I was getting all kinds of HD baseball (Red Sox on NESN, Yankees on YES, etc), as well as HD NHL hockey. That lasted several days, and then it went back to the normal deal of only being able to see HD games within my region. In a situation like this, a prospective customer could get the mistaken impression that they'll get ALL of the RSN HD programming in the Sportspack, which of course isn't the case.

Jeff

#6 ·
Piratefan98 said:
When they have a free preview of the Sports Pack, do they do the standard blacking out of professional sporting events (i.e. MLB and NHL, based on the individual's geographic location)?
You've got a really good question and/or point there. I am told that if it were to be blacked out for a standard customer with the package then it would be blacked out for the preview.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=3320008

I was using that link last weekend. Looks like D* is changing it? It used to have you pick package and not sport type. I would suggest seeing if you can find a blacked out game thats part of the preview package this weekend and see if its blacked out. If its not then your point may be valid.

#7 ·
Piratefan98 said:

I ask, because back when I signed on to DirecTV, I think there may have been a similar Sports Pack preview going on, because I was getting all kinds of HD baseball (Red Sox on NESN, Yankees on YES, etc), as well as HD NHL hockey. That lasted several days, and then it went back to the normal deal of only being able to see HD games within my region. In a situation like this, a prospective customer could get the mistaken impression that they'll get ALL of the RSN HD programming in the Sportspack, which of course isn't the case.

Jeff
When you saw all of the baseball games, that was likely a MLB Extra Innings Preview, not a sportspack preview. Ditto for the NHL Centre Ice Preview.

This weekend, all of the baseball games will be blacked out. The preseason hockey games (there is one on MSG Saturday night) should be in the clear.

#8 ·
blackhawkzone said:
When you saw all of the baseball games, that was likely a MLB Extra Innings Preview, not a sportspack preview. Ditto for the NHL Centre Ice Preview.

This weekend, all of the baseball games will be blacked out. The preseason hockey games (there is one on MSG Saturday night) should be in the clear.
There was a free sports pack preview where most of the professional games were still shown. (It was clearly a mistake.) The full-time sports channels didn't black out a single event. If I remember right, the alt channels didn't even get turned on for the preview at all though. Here's the thread about it.

#12 ·
I can't figure out what is included in the Sports Pack. I have it, but every time I go to view a game/event, it is blacked out.

All I really want is ESPNU, but I have to buy the crazy Sports Pack to get it.

#14 ·
WillieWildcat said:
I can't figure out what is included in the Sports Pack. I have it, but every time I go to view a game/event, it is blacked out.

Check that. +1 Only thing that has not been scarfed up by the premium packages is Southwest Podunk U v St Mary's of the Cat Food Fishes College. Back in the day you could find MLB, NFL, NHL games on these regional sports channels that are now all blacked out. Only thing they seem to have now are syndicated sports talk shows where everyone is screaming into the microphone.

#16 ·
WillieWildcat said:

I guess you don't watch college basketball because there are a ton of college basketball games (most notably the Pac-10) available on the RSNs. Plus CBSCS. A good amount of college football games too that aren't available in my area. That's why I'll subscribe to it after this freeview and keep it until mid-March.

#18 ·
IMHO the Sportspack is a big waste of $$$. The only channels worth anything are ESPNU and NBA. When the CFL was on Comcast Northwest (Portland, OR) that was ok but now you are just throwing money away. You don't see any games as they are blacked out. Plus if a CFA game is on the ESPN package you won't get that as well. With E* it's almost worth it ($5.99) but with D* it's just a waste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.