DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· AllStar
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have realized I have the same HD channels available on the local spot beam (low channel nimbers) as in the national HD section of channels 80-89. I'm in Orange County, California.
Hmm... any comment on which to watch? Are these both encoded the same? Perhaps I should compare the signal strength by mapping which satelite/transponders have which channel?
Carl

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Your "Low" numbers are your MPEG-4
The "High" numbers are the MPEG-2 DNS feeds

Thus the MPEG-4 ones will take less amount of space on the hard drive, then the MPEG-2. So if you can't see a difference in the PQ... you may want to use the MPEG-4 ones, over the MPEG-2

· AllStar
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there someplace that says what channels are in what compression format? And which format is technically better?
And whats "DNS"? In my world thats a domain name server, but I expect not here! ;-)

I had asked the D* advanced support if these channels where compressed the same, and he said they were! Of course beleiving anything these guys say is perhaps not the best idea...
C

Earl Bonovich said:
Your "Low" numbers are your MPEG-4
The "High" numbers are the MPEG-2 DNS feeds

Thus the MPEG-4 ones will take less amount of space on the hard drive, then the MPEG-2. So if you can't see a difference in the PQ... you may want to use the MPEG-4 ones, over the MPEG-2

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,563 Posts
Veloce said:
Is there someplace that says what channels are in what compression format?
If it is HD and gets mapped down to its familiar channel number, it is MPEG4
And which format is technically better?
Neither.
And whats "DNS"? In my world thats a domain name server, but I expect not here! ;-)
Distant Network Service.
Of course beleiving anything these guys say is perhaps not the best idea...
They get to the position that they are in not by knowing everything, but by being able to delicately beat information out of callers and whip through decision trees to arrive at something that will get the customer going. They don't need to know (and the information isn't available to them) such things as what compression methods are used nor what transponder and channel a particular service is downlinked on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.