DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subscribe to Dish Network and live in SW Pennsylvania. The Pittsburgh broadcast channels are the local stations that are available to me. However, in looking at the various SpotBeam maps on the internet, it appears that I live right on the edge of the SpotBeam coverage area...which would explain why I get intermittent pixelized reception for these channels. While I get 100+ signal strength for the majority of the transponders, the one responsible for the local channel package (T29 S9) give me 0 signal strength most times. I don't subscribe to cable and don't currently have an antenna, so the re-broadcast of the local channels via satellite is my only way to view these channels. I have the standard 18" DishPro 500 antenna, but I had read on several forums that the use of a larger diameter dish (33"-39") might increase my reception of the SpotBeam signal. Has anyone had any experience with this type of situation. If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...like make/model of quality dish, lnb, etc...

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,901 Posts
I'm confused; perhaps by the map. According to James' map, spot 9 (mysteriously labeled T9) seems to solidly cover the Western half of PA.

Which one of us is misreading the map???

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are not misreading the map, I guess my 'location' entry is a bit vague. If you are looking at the map, I am right in the middle of the grey band area outside the main coverage circle, near the PA / MD border. I am just north of the border, east of Gettysburg. I have compared that spotbeam map with detailed PA county maps and verified that I am right smack in the middle of that grey 'signal overflow' area shown on the spotbeam coverage map. I know the map is not officially sanctioned by Dish, so I realize it's not a simple yes/no type answer, but I was just wondering if anybody in this type of fringe coverage area had had any luck with a larger antenna. Thanks

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry, in my previous post I stated that I was in the grey area on the coverage map, but it should have said yellow area. I didn't have the map in front of me as I was typing and my memory is not that great. I have since viewed the map and the area to which I am referring is the yellow band outside the red circle, just northeast of Hagerstown, MD

·
Super Moderator
53,993 Posts
29s9 attached - it isn't an exact science but the further you are from the spot, the less you should expect to receive that spot.

Harsh, the original filing refered to the receive beams on E10 as "R" beams and the transmit beams as "T" beams. The initial maps I drew had the numbering from the FCC/ITU filings. In later maps I've changed that to the "s" markings people expect (since T can be confused with transponder).

On the map below, note the nearby red circles. These are other spots that use transponder 29 as a spotbeam. Get too close to one of those and you're looking at interference from the other spot - and in this case it isn't "the strongest spot wins" but "a little interference can kill".

Attachments

·
Godfather
484 Posts
golf$bill said:
I am just north of the border, east of Gettysburg.
That's not what I would call SW PA, and it's not even close to the Pittsburgh DMA.

At that location, reception on the Pittsburgh spot is almost certainly interference limited, so a bigger dish probably won't help. Your intermittent signal is probably a result of shifts in the spot pattern as the satellite moves through its orbit. I'm guessing your reception follows some predictable daily pattern?

I suggest you try a service address closer to your true location. The Franklin County local package is very nice. It includes all of the Washington, Hagerstown, and Harrisburg channels.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,901 Posts
James Long said:
Harsh, the original filing refered to the receive beams on E10 as "R" beams and the transmit beams as "T" beams. The initial maps I drew had the numbering from the FCC/ITU filings. In later maps I've changed that to the "s" markings people expect (since T can be confused with transponder).
Mystery solved. Thanks!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,901 Posts
golf$bill said:
You are not misreading the map, I guess my 'location' entry is a bit vague. If you are looking at the map, I am right in the middle of the grey band area outside the main coverage circle, near the PA / MD border.
There's a decided difference between 'a bit vague' and the opposite side of the state from where you said you were. Now I see your boggle.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joblo said:
I suggest you try a service address closer to your true location. The Franklin County local package is very nice. It includes all of the Washington, Hagerstown, and Harrisburg channels.
I am originally from Pittsburgh and was hoping to watch the Steelers games on the local channels. Which teams' games are typically broadcast on the Franklin County locals?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.