DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although lots of bugs have been fixed or sometimes appear to be fixed until they resurface; I still think there are a lot of stability issues that need the attention of D*.

It's obvious that they are working on these bugs constantly; but still the same instability issues seem to come up week after week:

HDMI
Audio Dropouts
BSOD
System lockups
Missed Recordings
Unwatchable Recordings

Lets get them fixed then roll out some new features!!!!!

· Registered
8,671 Posts
[quote="Lets get them fixed then roll out some new features!!!!![/QUOTE]

then we can start on the new bugs :lol:

· AllStar
59 Posts
The problem is that they likely have so many developers that they can't say "Ok. We want all of you just to work on this one item." It would be crazy and everyone would be stepping on each others toes and it would be a huge duplication of effort.

People would often complain about new World of Warcraft patches when "fluff" was being added and there were still issues to address. People forgot that the graphic designers and such weren't just sitting idle while the core development team was trying to make the servers stable. The same likely applies to the HR20 team. It's a large team, large enough to where they are going to have many projects going on at once.

· Icon
545 Posts
nFavor said:
The problem is that they likely have so many developers that they can't say "Ok. We want all of you just to work on this one item." It would be crazy and everyone would be stepping on each others toes and it would be a huge duplication of effort.

People would often complain about new World of Warcraft patches when "fluff" was being added and there were still issues to address. People forgot that the graphic designers and such weren't just sitting idle while the core development team was trying to make the servers stable. The same likely applies to the HR20 team. It's a large team, large enough to where they are going to have many projects going on at once.
Large Team? :confused:

I thought it was Two Guys in a shack in Calcutta!! :lol:

· Godfather
253 Posts
iceman2a said:
Large Team? :confused:

I thought it was Two Guys in a shack in Calcutta!! :lol:
No.... It's three but in Bangalore :lol:

· Godfather
485 Posts
dpfaunts said:
No.... It's three but in Bangalore :lol:
Your thinking of the CSR "team".

Come on, stop bashing the development team! They are working their hardest to get this machine stable. After all it takes talent and time to reverse engineer the TiVo OS and rewrite the code without violating any patents. !devil12:

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jgrade said:
Your thinking of the CSR "team".

Come on, stop bashing the development team! They are working their hardest to get this machine stable. After all it takes talent and time to reverse engineer the TiVo OS and rewrite the code without violating any patents. !devil12:
So true, so true.

But honestly, there are advantages the HR20 has over the Tivo based units. When things work the way they were written to work; it takes less steps to get things done than Tivo.

· Registered
4,690 Posts
I'll be honest. Although there are some things wrong with the unit, I see a ton of potential. If the stability arrived soon followed by FTM, OTA, and dual buffers I could see dumping my TiVos all together. I am extremely impressed by the layout and abilities of this box when it's clicking (NOT the hard drive, that's another issue :D) on all cylinders.

And for the record, when I heard DIRECTV was dumping TiVo and doing their own thing I was one of the first to say, "No way in Hell will I ever leave my TiVo!"

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
tfederov said:
I'll be honest. Although there are some things wrong with the unit, I see a ton of potential. If the stability arrived soon followed by FTM, OTA, and dual buffers I could see dumping my TiVos all together. I am extremely impressed by the layout and abilities of this box when it's clicking (NOT the hard drive, that's another issue :D) on all cylinders.

And for the record, when I heard DIRECTV was dumping TiVo and doing their own thing I was one of the first to say, "No way in Hell will I ever leave my TiVo!"
Pretty much my take.

I'm not a Tivo fanatic, I have used and loved UltimateTV and ReplayTV in the past.

If D* can provide a full-featured and reliable DVR, I'm there. That's why I'm tracking this forum even though I don't yet own an HR20.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
glennb said:
I don't think there will ever be "dual buffers".

It's not something like OTA that isn't enabled yet it, it just plain doesn't have dual buffers.
It's something they could and should add. If they don't, it's a very large (for me) negative vs. the Tivo units.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.