DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legend
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a possibility that Dish could make the Voom channels a standard def package? Or to be completely self serving, MONSTERS as a stand alone standard def ala carte...

I was talking with one of the ATT/Dish reps last night and she said she drops that suggestion in the box regularly...I told her to add my name to the requesters.

Seems odd that E is missing out on the revenue stream...so there must be a reason they aren't persuing it...

Just a thought...

And no, I'm not in the least interested in HD. :)

·
AllStar
90 Posts
This may be a dumb suggestion but here is goes anyway. If you really want the Voom channels could you not subscribe to the HD Bronze package, get the 622 receiver, and use the second output to send to a SDTV?

·
Godfather
483 Posts
Wayne said:
This may be a dumb suggestion but here is goes anyway. If you really want the Voom channels could you not subscribe to the HD Bronze package, get the 622 receiver, and use the second output to send to a SDTV?
Its not a dumb question... and is completely doable. In fact, you don't need to connect it to the second output if the reason for wanting this is not having and HDTV set. The 622 offers standard composite and s-video connections for the primary video output, as does the vip211.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,267 Posts
Doug Higley said:
Is there a possibility that Dish could make the Voom channels a standard def package? Or to be completely self serving, MONSTERS as a stand alone standard def ala carte...
Good Choice! :) Monsters alone is worth the cost of the HD pack for those of us who love classic horror/scifi. As the others indicated, you do not need an HDTV in order to watch the HD channels. You do have to pay for the HD pack and get an HD receiver...but it will work just fine on a regular TV.

·
Super Moderator
53,110 Posts
E* wants to sell HD packages. As noted, a HDTV is not required to own a HDTV receiver - they put out perfectly usable SD feeds. But you will have to pay E* full price even though you are not connecting a HDTV set.

For Voom channels to appear on a non-HD receiver would require E* to downrez them and take up more satellite space. Not something they are likely to do. It would probably be a good idea to do a "free preview" channel in SD ... but I don't know how showing a SD version would sell HD packages - and that's what it is all about.

Voom channels are part of the "carrot" to entice people to sign up for HD. If they could get the content without paying for HD it would be less of an enticement.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,856 Posts
Doug Higley said:
Probably not. While many would be happy to have some of the Voom content, it would be soured by all the whining from those who don't like letterboxed content on their 4:3 televisions.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
I have a 622 hooked up to a 19" Philips-Magnavox with Gold package. Still saving for that HDTV. I sell and install dish so that is how I justify the cost. Demos with the 622 at the customers home are usually a slam dunk. But if anyone is curious, the PQ on the locals channels are night and day. Huge difference. I was really curious when I first got it whether I would be able to tell a difference. I don't know if the voom channels are worth $20 a month, but it would be a nice selling point to have it ala carte. Its a good suggestion.

·
Banned
74 Posts
I think the whole Dish Network service should be a la carte. To be able to get what I want, I'm also ordering a lot of crap I wouldn't bother to watch if I were paid to. Dishbuilder should really be just that customizable. I can scrap the religious, spanish language, and music channels, and just pick the ones I want. Why not just pay for the quantity of channels? You could choose the total number of SD channels: 30, 60, 120, or 180 and then pick and choose your HD channels and premiums.
I still think E* is a much better deal than DirecTV, but if DTV improves their line-up, that would be a pretty good way to compete with them - a truly customizable channel line-up.

·
Legend
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An HD TV is not my issue really. I have one!

But I'm perfectly happy with my 625 and a 500. No desire to change to HD. Would just like the choice of some of the programming.

But I agree...it's a carrot on a stick for folks to sign up for HD.

As to ala carte overall...that's been covered to death elsewhere...and one of the answers had it nicely...The 180 is like a Buffet...do you go to a Buffet and Eat EVERYTHING? Or do you select from a wide variety and enjoy the low price?
I'm afraid wide ala carte would price me back to cable...actually no...I would never go back to cable.

By the way, I did a feedback on Dish site about Monsters being standardized and I got a nice reply back from Anna J describing how I could get LOCALS IN HD and where to find a retailer.

Holy crap.

·
Icon
538 Posts
sathq said:
I don't know if the voom channels are worth $20 a month, but it would be a nice selling point to have it ala carte. Its a good suggestion.
Well worth the $5/month Voom package I'm grandfathered into :D

·
Godfather
356 Posts
derwin0 said:
My wife watches Monsters HD on our SD bedroom TV all the time.
Sorry to hear about that bedroom problem!:D :D :D

·
Godfather
300 Posts
s8ist said:
I think the whole Dish Network service should be a la carte. To be able to get what I want, I'm also ordering a lot of crap I wouldn't bother to watch if I were paid to. Dishbuilder should really be just that customizable. I can scrap the religious, spanish language, and music channels, and just pick the ones I want. Why not just pay for the quantity of channels? You could choose the total number of SD channels: 30, 60, 120, or 180 and then pick and choose your HD channels and premiums.
I still think E* is a much better deal than DirecTV, but if DTV improves their line-up, that would be a pretty good way to compete with them - a truly customizable channel line-up.
You got that right. I have no need for religious, shopping, spanish, movie channels. I got the 180 because all those educational channels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.