DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DWL 810+ wireless G bridge. Should I set the bridge to a static IP and then let the HR21 pull an IP address from my router or should I let the DWL pull an IP form the router and set a static IP on the HR? Should they both be static or dyanmic?

Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
2,345 Posts
naxet said:
I have a DWL 810+ wireless G bridge. Should I set the bridge to a static IP and then let the HR21 pull an IP address from my router or should I let the DWL pull an IP form the router and set a static IP on the HR? Should they both be static or dyanmic?

Thanks
Its usually easiest to manage if they're both static.

Depending on your setup the adapter should actually be invisible and only the HR20 should pull an IP

·
Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
The IP addressing method for the bridge and the HR2x should be completely unrelated to each other. The bridge only has an IP address to manage it (through its web interface, normally) and its IP has absolutely nothing to do with how packets are passed to or from the HR2x.

Were it a router (acting as a router and not as a bridge), this would not be the case in all circumstances.

I would not suggest using wireless for any part of the connection for an HR2x, but that is a different issue.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,142 Posts
naxet said:

Thanks
Set the bridge IP (static) to an address above whatever your router is handing out. E.g. if the router DHCP is handing out IP addresses in the 192.168.100-149 range, then set your bridge IP to 192.168.1.155. DHCP should be disabled on the bridge, let the HR2X grab an IP address from the router, via the bridge connection. That's how mine is set up, it works like a charm. As far as using a wireless connection, it isn't the best...but it beats fishing cable through my attic/walls.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
mobandit said:
Set the bridge IP (static) to an address above whatever your router is handing out. E.g. if the router DHCP is handing out IP addresses in the 192.168.100-149 range, then set your bridge IP to 192.168.1.155. DHCP should be disabled on the bridge, let the HR2X grab an IP address from the router, via the bridge connection. That's how mine is set up, it works like a charm. As far as using a wireless connection, it isn't the best...but it beats fishing cable through my attic/walls.
And a powerline connection accomplishes the same thing with a higher success rate and less chance of future interference when compared to wireless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.