DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Legend
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when i play back something that is recording. The time elapsed doesn't change. It is not that big of a problem but when this happens i cannot make bookmarks. Does anyone know the cause of this.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
No, but it's a known bug. One kinda work-around. When you ffwd through a show that's being played back, don't hit the play button to come out of ffwd mode. Hit the jump back button. It will move the marker to the current point in the program, but will get stuck again, until you hit the jump back button again.

I've also seen a couple other manefestations of this bug:

1) The marker hits a border point between two times, and will go back and forth between the two (e.g. from 9:03 to 9:04 and back again, over an over again, during playback).

2) The marker totally disappears. This happened to me, for a while, during one of the recent Eagles games. And this is a particular nit when you buffer the end of a show - if you have a 3-hour game recorded, and you add an hour to the end, the play-back bar only goes out to the 3-hour mark, so you can't really see where the play-back is when you get past that point.

Oh, and sometimes, occasionally, if you exit out (stop) the current playback, go back to the VOD list, and replay it from the beginning, the problem will disappear. Sometimes - although in honesty, with the last release or two of the s/w, this work-around doesn't appear to work much anymore. And every once in a while, the bar will get unstuck all on its own.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
Oh, one other advantage of hitting the jump-back button when coming out of ffwd mode - it gives you a bit of a buffer when coming out of a commercial. The TiVo units do that as a default, which is really nice. Hit ffwd, then hit play, and it automatically jumps back a second or two - because there's ALWAYS a lag from when you hit the button, and when the show starts playing.

With the R15, hitting the play button just starts it at that exact point, which gets annoying. I would come out of ffwd mode, while going over a commercial break, and when I hit play, I was already a few seconds into the next segment of the show. So, I would hit the rewind button for a few seconds. Very annoying. Someone on this forum recommended hitting the jump-back button - it functions like the TiVo play button (coming out of ffwd), only, in my opinion, it's more responsive.

Sometimes, however, and again this is a known bug, the jump-back button doesn't work right (only goes back 1 second instead of 6) or doesn't do anything at all. It seems to degrade during playback of a show. Overall, though, this method works really well.

·
Godfather
385 Posts
Mrpalmer420 said:
Sometimes when i play back something that is recording. The time elapsed doesn't change. It is not that big of a problem but when this happens i cannot make bookmarks. Does anyone know the cause of this.
The jumpback button does reset the time marker, and it is a good thing to do because if you don't reset the time marker, and you stop the [recorded] show you are watching, when you come back into it, you will come back at the point where the time marker was, and not the point at which you were viewing when you stopped the show.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.