DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had entertained hopes of dropping Time Warner Cable and returning to Dish Network. Last week, I visited a local satellite installer to get some pricing information on an install that goes far beyond the "four tuner" install that Dish promotes so heavily. I have what amounts to an "in-law" apartment, living with my son and daughter in-law and their three sons. We have seven (yes, 7) TV's (of which 3 are HD) in the house and alll but two would require their own set top boxes -- essentially two 622's, one 625, one 211, one 322 and one 311. The guy who did the proposal had some difficulty in understanding why I couldn't get by with just the two 622's, the 625 and a 311. I explained that we would be doing a fair amount of time shifting on the sets with the DVR's while viewing a live program and therefore couldn't share the DVR's between two TV's.
The cost for the proposed installation turned out to be a turnoff. We were looking at around $1600 before any rebates. In addition, the monthly service fee (for Dish Silver with locals) would equal our current cable bill (HD cable service, two HD DVR's plus an HD receiver). :(
To make a long story short, we're staying with the hated Time Warner, thankyouverymuch!

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Cable is great right now for your kind of setup. Be warned that eventually cable will be most likely requiring a set-top for all TVs (yes, they *could* send what's currently analog as clear QAM eliminating the need for a set-top - don't bet on it!)

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
I get a good amount of channels via the QAM tuner that TW passes through unencrypted, including Discovery HD Theater, which is a standard channel on TW and doesn't require the HD Tier and HD locals from Rochester, which my county is legally eligible for.

If the cable companies were smart, they'd do exactly what you suggest. Cut off analog completely, if it's still an FCC requirement, simulcast locals and community access in both analog and digital. Have a basic cable tier that doesn't require a box, but uses the QAM tuner that includes the normal basic channel, USA, TNT, CNN, et al, then require a STB for everything else. The sooner analog cable goes bye bye the better. I love my analog/digital simulcast, but I say remove all analog channels, relieve compression, and make SD content on cable look like SD content on DBS used to look. Picture quality on cable is still better then DirecTV, but I would like it to be better.

I still have 16 months left on my promo, when it’s over, as long as things stay like they are, I plan on keeping it.

·
Child of the 60's
3,127 Posts
I used to be a cable basher (had absolutely terrible service until I jumped to satellite), but I've mellowed recently. If you find a service provider and package of services to your liking, go for it. Even though I've been with E* for a long time, I always keep my options open.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.