DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched a bunch of threads but really couldn't find anything - lots there but seems like everyone is more knowledgeable than the novice level.

Would somebody post a step by step setup instruction for a novice on connecting the hr20 to a wireless network - needed hardware and software, etc.

I have probably the typical vanilla home wireless network - cable modem to wireless router hard wired to PC and running a laptop wirelessly. But my TV/hr20 needs to be connected for media stuff wirelessly.

Is it as simple as connecting a wireless bridge to the Ethernet port on the back of the hr20 and using windows media player 11 software (or something called Twonky)?

I'm sure I will not know how to set everything up on the software/configuration side of things.

much appreciated!!

Jack

·
Icon
728 Posts
jfolliard said:
I've searched a bunch of threads but really couldn't find anything - lots there but seems like everyone is more knowledgeable than the novice level.

Would somebody post a step by step setup instruction for a novice on connecting the hr20 to a wireless network - needed hardware and software, etc.

I have probably the typical vanilla home wireless network - cable modem to wireless router hard wired to PC and running a laptop wirelessly. But my TV/hr20 needs to be connected for media stuff wirelessly.

Is it as simple as connecting a wireless bridge to the Ethernet port on the back of the hr20 and using windows media player 11 software (or something called Twonky)?

I'm sure I will not know how to set everything up on the software/configuration side of things.

much appreciated!!

Jack
In my case it was just that simple. My HR20 is connected to a Linksys wireless game adapter, which connects to my router. My computer is Viiv certified, my laptop is not. Both are running MS Media Center edition of windows and media player 11. HR20 is able to access both computers and play media from both. Just plug in the HR20, connect, and enjoy.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
The HR20 Networking Tips & Tricks pdf is now posted at:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=74426

The Networking Tips & Tricks shows how to be able to look at photos and listen to music from your PC. You don't even need a Viiv PC!

Step-by-step instructions will guide you through.

Thank you to Earl, Slip Jigs, and everyone who shared ideas. Without DBSTalk, I would not have ever know these features were there let alone how to use them.

- Craig

·
DBSTalk Club Member
2 Posts
Thanks for the great summary. Can anyone post a similar document for Mac users. If you have been successful, we would like to know the details. Mac intel Macbook. Mac OS 10.
Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays

·
AllStar
92 Posts
I have linksys router, a Yamaha network ready A/V Reciever, and the HR20.

I definitely need to figure out a way to play MP-3's from the PC's in the house through the HR-20

Eddie

·
Icon
770 Posts
My Linksys WRT54G is set up with WPA-2/AES encryption. I read the WGA54AG User Manual online on the Linksys website and it appears that it will only do WEP encryption. I don't want to change my wireless network to WEP just to be able to do this. Any suggestions?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
TomF said:
My Linksys WRT54G is set up with WPA-2/AES encryption. I read the WGA54AG User Manual online on the Linksys website and it appears that it will only do WEP encryption. I don't want to change my wireless network to WEP just to be able to do this. Any suggestions?
I second not changing to WEP. WPA has better security.

Solution: buy a different wireless bridge with WPA support?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
cool I am sure if everyopne who has not been able to get thisto work will :read: this post they will have it running in no time.

·
Legend
109 Posts
I bought the Linksys WGA54AG Wireless Game Adapter that was mentioned in the step by step guide above and am trying to get it working with the hr20. I'm not having much success.

My setup: Verizon DSL with Westell Model 327W DSL modem/Wirelesss router
For now I have WEP set, SSID hidden and Mac address filtering.
I went through the guided setup for the Wireless A/G Game Adapter and set the SSID and WEP password up.

Here are my questions:

- What should the 'switch' be set to in the back? Adhoc A or Adhoc B? I have it set to B.
- For the Mac filtering, which Mac address do I need to allow on my router? The HR20, the game adapter, or both?
- When setting up the Connection on the HR20 do I pick wired or wireless setup (i've been selecting wireless).
- When connected (to the HR20) should the wirelss light on the Game adapter be solid green or steadily blinking? Right now as I am looking at it it is steadily blinking.

Also, I tried removing all the security on my router and connecting again with no luck. Anything else I might be screwing up?

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Instead of Adhoc, is there an infrastructure setting?
Disable cloning mode and set TX rate to auto.

That is what my linksys bridge is set to.

I am using the WET54G and it also has WPA as well. I think WEP is OK as long as you are using the MAC filter list, it is set as good as it can get.

·
Legend
109 Posts
switching to infra mode seems to have worked. I currently:
- have all my security features disabled
- the hr20 is connected to the game adapter
- when I go through Network Connection on the HR20 it says I am connected to my network/the internet

However, in WMP11 it is NOT seeing the HR20 when I go to the sharing options.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I also had difficulty using the WMP11 scenario. It would work then not work. I chose the twonky solution and it has proven very stable and easy to use.

http://www.twonkyvision.de/

Here is one thread of many on twonky...
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=73279

You will also need the three files in the addon plugins. They will need to be put into the c:\program files\twonkyvision\cgi-bin directory, if you go this route.

Other have gotten WMP11 to work for them. I give up on Windows stuff pretty quick. I'm a Linux man myself.

·
Legend
109 Posts
I finally got it to work with WMP11 (not really sure what I did but it finally showed up in the list of devices to share with).

Of course now when I try to get it connected again with any kind of security I'm having no luck. :( :groan:

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
The security should come up just fine as long as everything is set correctly. Your over the hump now!

Have fun!

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
Twonky worked well for me. I have Windows XP and no Viiv. Just installed 30-day trial of Twonky, rebooted HR20 and the "Music & Photos" showed up in the Menu screen of HR20. Although I do have WMP11 on there, I don't think it is being used. I have not enabled any sharing, Twonky seems to be handling all the serving.

·
Legend
109 Posts
up and running with Twonky! Finally got it working with MAC filtering and WEP (for now I'm not hiding my SSID - I need to get it working with that too, but tonight this is good enough.)

One question - has anyone gotten .mpg or .avi files to play (videos)?

Edit: Well according to this: http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=756473&postcount=324
the HR20 doesn't support video playback yet. So I guess that answers my question!

·
Legend
109 Posts
mecohen said:
I connect to the network, but cannot connect to the internet. Any idea why?
I saw that a bunch of times during my setup and to be honest with you I'm not 100% sure what finally got it working, but here are some random tips that might help:
- Make sure that you can 'see' your wireless adapter from your router. I had to login to my router from my PC and then check the wireless connections to verify this, but at least I knew that the adapter was connected.
- Go into the Network Setup and try a 'Reset Defaults'. Then immediately select the Connect option.
- Do a reset of the HR20 and then follow the above suggestion.

Hope that helps. I spent my entire night last night getting it connected and there's a good bit of witchcraft involved. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.