DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
485 Posts
The way I connected was to take my 2wire wireless internet modem and plug it into the back of my HR20 with an ethernet cable. Then I setup WMP11 to share files from my wireless laptop. Everything worked realy easy and I didn't have to buy anything. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P35 with windows XP Home edition service pack 2.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried them all, but still cannot connect to internet. The wireless adapter connected to the HR20 is pingable.
This is driving me nuts. Merry Christmas!

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
With your suggestions on this thread and others, I have made dozens of corrections to post number 4 above. I compiled them into a pdf file here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=74426

Any othe ideas for the step-by-step instructions?

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
iacas said:
I second not changing to WEP. WPA has better security.

Solution: buy a different wireless bridge with WPA support?
This Adapter claims to support WPA (in the data sheet), but I have not tried it. The key feature in any wireless adapter that you are looking for should be the Bridging feature. If the device is not a Bridge device or does not support bridging, then it will not work the way you expect it to on your network. A "Gaming Adapter" is an Ethernet Bridge with a fancy marketing name attached, so most (if not all) Gaming Adapters should work just fine.

·
5 Posts
Thank you for the great info. I was able to get it to work. I'm using Windows XP Professional, no ViiV, WMP 11.

The only issues I'm having are:

1) I can't get any of my videos to play, there is an "X" in the left column next to the name in the HR-20 menu. Any special tricks with videos or only specific formats?

2) Under My Pictures, I have everyone organized in folders. I can't see them. If I click on all photos they come up. If I create a playlist, it works fine.

This is really nice to be able to play my music thru my entertainment system without having to play CDs or hook up my iPOD.

Jim

Jim

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Videos are not currently supported. Only music and photos. You should be able to highlight the folder and press enter and open it. Patients is required while this is taking place, at least it does using the twonky and I would expect nothing less from WMP11.

Glad you got it going!
Have fun...

·
AllStar
92 Posts
I have a few questions about this whole process. I guess that I am a bit behind on the entertainment options on my computer. I don't use a MP3 player, and I never got into the file sharing of music or video, so I don't have a lot of "interesting" stuff on my hard drive. I usually just pop a CD into a player when I want to listen. But, if I can access through my HR20, I might join the 21st century. If I load my CD collection onto my hard drive, will I be able to "see" them in the HR20 and select tracks and play them through it? Or would I have to configure some sort of playlist on the computer first and then start it from the HR20? The first option seems exciting, but the second is a bit cumbersome.
Guidance anyone?

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
You can load your music CD's on your computer. I recommend going ahead and doing the upgrade on the Windows Media Player to version 11. Set your WMP11 to record your CD's in MP3 formant, not the default WMA.

When you get the HR20 on the network and setup, it will see ALL your music that you can individually select or use the shuffle selection and it will randomly pick songs from everything that is shared in the WMP11.

Have fun...

·
AllStar
52 Posts
Has anyone tried watching realtime Internet video, delivered by Windows Media Player or RealAudio, over a wireless network connection like this? I want to wirelessly connect my HDTV to my PC to watch live webcasts. Sounds like this setup only allows for viewing photos or listening to music stored on a PC.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
jbart1965 said:
Has anyone tried watching realtime Internet video, delivered by Windows Media Player or RealAudio, over a wireless network connection like this? I want to wirelessly connect my HDTV to my PC to watch live webcasts. Sounds like this setup only allows for viewing photos or listening to music stored on a PC.
You are correct. Today only music and photos are usable. Video is not usable even though it can see them.

Maybe in the future...

·
Legend
109 Posts
Spanky_Partain said:
You are correct. Today only music and photos are usable. Video is not usable even though it can see them.

Maybe in the future...
I have to believe that they are 'working' on letting us view videos on the HR20. I mean, why else would they be listing our videos? Unless they just like to tease us. ;)

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
jschuman said:
I have to believe that they are 'working' on letting us view videos on the HR20. I mean, why else would they be listing our videos? Unless they just like to tease us. ;)
This is now in the Wish List Survey. Please click the link below to vote for it.

- Craig

·
AllStar
58 Posts
Does anyone know if a wireless adapter connected to the HR20 via USB will work, or does it have to be ethernet connected? I'm having no luck with USB. Thanks

·
AllStar
74 Posts
mecohen said:
I connect to the network, but cannot connect to the internet. Any idea why?
Did you have any luck in resolving this one? I have the same problem. I'm ethernet from the HR20 to the router and can view/play photos and music using WMP11 but cannot connect to the internet. Also as many have posted I cannot ping the HR-20.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Spanky_Partain said:
I also had difficulty using the WMP11 scenario. It would work then not work. I chose the twonky solution and it has proven very stable and easy to use.

http://www.twonkyvision.de/

Here is one thread of many on twonky...
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=73279

You will also need the three files in the addon plugins. They will need to be put into the c:\program files\twonkyvision\cgi-bin directory, if you go this route.

Other have gotten WMP11 to work for them. I give up on Windows stuff pretty quick. I'm a Linux man myself.
I am also a Linux guy and since I don't have a windows machine on my network, I went with Twonky which seems to be up and running but I can't get it to output any audio for the mp3's. The jpegs work great. The mp3's seem to play (the progress bar works) but I don't hear anything. Any idea what could be wrong?

I'm using Fedora Core 6 and Twonky 4.1. I've downloaded both lame and flac plugins into the specified directory. The only thing that looks suspicious is that the Twonky downloads say they were compiled for glibc 2.2.5 and FC6 uses glibc 2.5.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
On anothger thread, I saw that there were not any plugins for some Linux at this time for the audio.

Pester twonky and see if they can get you a lame plugin for Linux.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.