DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of those people that live in Terre Haute, IN. Our DMA has no ABC affiliate, I had legally qualified to receive teh ABC distant feed.

I attempted to sign up online to get my distants through NPS. Didn't work.

So I decided to call the telephone number. The representitive I spoke with said I would have to go through the waiver process to get ABC. I asked what affiliate they would be sending that waiver application. She said the ABC affiliate that serves your area. I said, we have no ABC affiliate in our DMA or our 'area'. She didn't really know how to answer. She just kept saying it will get sent to your affiliate (of which there is none). I would have to wait 30-60 days.

What is the deal here? Somehow, somewhere, the Terre Haute DMA has gotten really screwed up. I have seen houses in the same block qualify for distants, while others have to go through the waiver process (not sure who they are sending that waiver too??)

Just strange

·
Godfather
373 Posts
If I had to guess, i'd say WRTV. That's the nearest, largest DMA to you....I think, unless you get something from Illinois....but I'd think WRTV would be the bigger one.

I know with D* they say they have to submit waivers but sometimes it comes back ultra fast and the 30-60 day quote is generally a generic time frame. Don't let it worry you too much.

·
Super Moderator
53,155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,155 Posts

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
James Long said:
There is also WICD to the NorthWest ...
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-service-area?x=TV48706.html

I don't see Terre Haute coverage. Evansville's station is too far away.
WICD comes in 'ok' (60-66 signal strength) using my outdoor antenna (wineguard sensar) inside (yeah it doesn't look to good insdie, but my diplexor seems to have failed). The problem with WICD is that there is no program guide data. But this is beside the point; why is it that Terre Haute is in DNS limbo? Where would they send the waiver?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
terfmop said:
WICD comes in 'ok' (60-66 signal strength) using my outdoor antenna (wineguard sensar) inside (yeah it doesn't look to good insdie, but my diplexor seems to have failed). The problem with WICD is that there is no program guide data. But this is beside the point; why is it that Terre Haute is in DNS limbo? Where would they send the waiver?
It never makes any sense how they make these rules for different areas. They should just put WICD in the Terre Haute locals package for Illinois and WRTV for Indiana but that would be too convenient for everyone.

I don't understand why they just don't get approval to put a replacement affiliate for markets that aren't served by a local one. That way there wouldn't be a need for distant networks except for in the DMAs that E* doesn't carry locals for yet.

·
Super Moderator
53,155 Posts
DirecTV's broker
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/Results.aspx
Eligibilty review for the following:
17 HARDING AVE
TERRE HAUTE, IN 47807-3427
ABC - Eligible
CBS WTHI 10 Grade A (strong signal)
FOX WFXW 38 Grade A (strong signal)
NBC WTWO 2 Grade A (strong signal)
PBS - Eligible​
If NPS used DecisionMark as it claims it does Terre Haute would be eligible for ABC,

·
Hall Of Fame
1,673 Posts
James they use decsion mark but you need to call the c-band csr's. The CSR's for mydistans.com ask for your telephone number if your number is not in the system then they do not even bother with the qualifacation. E* gave them all DNS sub info who reside in non LiL areas or reside in an E* LiL area but the sub does not receive those LiL signals. If your number is in the system they will qualify you using decsionmark. I have called the C-Band CSR's with diffrent address one from Miami 33175 they told me they could not provide me DNS on my C-Band system. When I called With Jacksonville 32256 they told me the same thing. FOr Key West they told me I qualified for only NBC and for waycross GA they told me I qualified for all four nets. The problem most people who are being told they do not qualify for DNS as a E* sub lies in the fact that E* IMOP has preselected the subs that can get DNS from NPS which totaly links the two companies together and will cause yet another loss for E* customers in court!

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
James, I used the DIRECTV eligibility tool that you had referenced above and I think I've solved my question. When I enter my address, it lists WICS(channel 15-1) as a grade B for our area. So perhaps Terre Haute is labeled as being served by an ABC affiliate. Looking at the coverage maps, I'm not sure how they say we have a grade B signal.

However, WICS isn't listed in our DMA, nor is it classified as 'significantly viewed'. If you are able to pull it in via OTA, no program guided data is available

·
Super Moderator
53,155 Posts
WICS is not available via E*, even in it's own market. E* carries a different ABC affiliate from within that market. (E* and D* are not required to carry duplicate networks within the same market unless the stations are in different states.) Likely that is why there is no EPG available.

Either there is an error in DecisionMark's data or you live in a zip code that does extend into the Grade B coverage. Data driven sites can have data errors.

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
James Long said:
WICS is not available via E*, even in it's own market. E* carries a different ABC affiliate from within that market. (E* and D* are not required to carry duplicate networks within the same market unless the stations are in different states.) Likely that is why there is no EPG available.

Either there is an error in DecisionMark's data or you live in a zip code that does extend into the Grade B coverage. Data driven sites can have data errors.
my zip is 47803 (southeast side of Terre Haute). I sent an email to Decisionmark to ask if they could review their data for Terre Haute

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
James Long said:

Actually WICS from Springfield is available on E* in Champaign/Springfield local package. WICD from Champaign is the one not carried. WICS has Springfield news while WICD carries Champaign news. Otherwise the stations are identical and carry the same syndicated programs.

·
Legend
192 Posts
Over on Wikipedia, I noted this:

When channel 38 in Terre Haute left ABC for FOX, WRTV became the default TV station for the area. It is viewable in Terre Haute with a rooftop antenna and is carried by cable companies as the ABC station for Terre Haute.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
oldave said:

When channel 38 in Terre Haute left ABC for FOX, WRTV became the default TV station for the area. It is viewable in Terre Haute with a rooftop antenna and is carried by cable companies as the ABC station for Terre Haute.
I would assume most Indianapolis stations (4, 6, 8, 13, 23, and 59) could be received with a good outside antenna in Terre Haute. However, that doesn't mean WRTV 6 ABC is automatically a part of the market--especially on satellite.

Terre Haute's Time Warner cable only offers WRTV (ABC) and WTTV (CW), while Charter offers WTTV 4, WRTV 6, WISH 8 (CBS), WTHR 13 (NBC), and WXIN 59 (Fox).

The Terre Haute local stations don't want you watching any other stations and are extremely strict enforcing network duplication and syndex causing programs on Indianapoils and Champaign, IL stations to be blacked out. That is what led to Time Warner dropping WISH 8 and WXIN 59 in the 1990s.

Today WRTV 6 should be considered a significantly viewed station since it is the primary source for ABC in Terre Haute. But since the FCC uses a list from the 1970s, WRTV is not listed as an SV station because back then viewers had WBAK (now WFXW) as ABC. Only WTTV 4 is listed as an SV station for Terre Haute on the list.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,712 Posts
James Long said:
WICS is not available via E*, even in it's own market.
Not true, BOTH E* & D* carry WICS in our locals pkg, but do NOT carry WICD.
The same is true on both systems with our 2 FOX's, WRSP (Springfield) IS carried; WCCU (Urbana) is NOT carried.

·
Super Moderator
53,155 Posts
Sorry - Got the call letters swapped. The one closest to Terre Haute (Grade B in parts of the Terre Haute DMA) is not carried.

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oldave said:

As a resident of Terre Haute, I can tell you that WRTV is not very reliable with a rooftop antenna. WICD surprised me, in that, I was able to pull it in with my Wineguard snensar indoors (I eventually plan to hook this up outside, but I had something go wrong with my diplexor). I just wish I could get the program guide data

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
terfmop said:
As a resident of Terre Haute, I can tell you that WRTV is not very reliable with a rooftop antenna. WICD surprised me, in that, I was able to pull it in with my Wineguard snensar indoors (I eventually plan to hook this up outside, but I had something go wrong with my diplexor). I just wish I could get the program guide data
I always heard WRTV on channel 6 was the hardest station to pull in from Terre Haute. Are 4, 8, and 13 easier to get?

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Link said:
I always heard WRTV on channel 6 was the hardest station to pull in from Terre Haute. Are 4, 8, and 13 easier to get?
I've never been able to pull in 4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.