DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this for informational purposes to see *if anyone has had this problem*. Suddenly 2 days ago, my remote stopped commanding the HR20. I could only control the box with the buttons on the front. The box seems to be functioning alright, recording and playing back, but only with the control panel on the front. The only thing that had changed is that I had just started using the RC32RF backlit a few days before this happened. I also have two RC23 remotes which also suddenly don't work to control the box either.

I called CS and they had me go through resets, and other things to try, but to no avail. They are sending me a new HR20. I will lose all the 32 recordings I have, but I want to be sure I don't have a hardware problem. I'll know by mid week when I get the new HR20. (If you have ever tried to watch recordings without a remote, you would understand why it is very unpleasant to do so, having no skip or fast forward, or many other functions). I also have had sound and vision problems from the start, which did not seem to be improving with the updates, but I was going to give it time. But this was the end of my wait. If I have bad hardware, I want to change out now rather than later.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
OK, so it does sound like the IR sensor on the Hr20 has failed....but it also could be caused by heavy IR interference. Are you sure nothing has changed, no new potential sources of IR (lights, any new piece of electronic equipment)? What TV do you have?

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
texasbrit said:
OK, so it does sound like the IR sensor on the Hr20 has failed....but it also could be caused by heavy IR interference. Are you sure nothing has changed, no new potential sources of IR (lights, any new piece of electronic equipment)? What TV do you have?
No, nothing. It does seem strange. I will move the box around a little today to see what happens.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
litzdog911 said:
Duh. Good point. Can you navigate your way to the correct menu using the front panel controls?
Yes, I can bring up the menu and navigate from the box, but anything that involves the remote does not work (eg. punching in codes).

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Edmund said:
Try entering codes 00001 on av1 and 00002 on av2. See if the receiver responds to av1 or av2?
Eureka. The remote on AV1 controls the DVR! I will have to try to recode the TV (Sony KDF-42WE655) since it won't control the TV in this mode (AV1). Now I am completely lost, as I don't know what happened or what to do next to get back to normal use.

·
Remote Master
1,820 Posts
hfhlt004 said:
Eureka. The remote on AV1 controls the DVR! I will have to try to recode the TV (Sony KDF-42WE655) since it won't control the TV in this mode (AV1). Now I am completely lost, as I don't know what happened or what to do next to get back to normal use.
The remote is set to RF where the receiver is set to IR. To turn off the rf on the remote do the following:

1. DTV
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3, enter 9-6-1
4. press CH DOWN

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Edmund said:
The remote is set to RF where the receiver is set to IR. To turn off the rf on the remote do the following:

1. DTV
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3, enter 9-6-1
4. press CH DOWN
The remote is already set to IR, at least the menu settings for remote show IR. I'm just confused as to why I have to have the slider on AV1 to control the HR20. The above steps were followed previously so that is how I got it back to IR when working with the CS orginally.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
hfhlt004 said:
The remote is already set to IR, at least the menu settings for remote show IR. I'm just confused as to why I have to have the slider on AV1 to control the HR20. The above steps were followed previously so that is how I got it back to IR when working with the CS orginally.
The difference is between what the remote control unit thinks and what the HR-20 thinks. From Edmund's comment I believ he is saying the remote control unit is sending commands via RF but the HR-20 is listening on IR. You should follow his instructions to reset the remote control unit to IR.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mooniac said:
The difference is between what the remote control unit thinks and what the HR-20 thinks. From Edmund's comment I believ he is saying the remote control unit is sending commands via RF but the HR-20 is listening on IR. You should follow his instructions to reset the remote control unit to IR.
I received Edmunds message, and will try that and see what happens, though I will have to do it later today, since I will be away for a bit.

·
2 Posts
hfhlt004 said:
I got this same problem all of sudden while flipping through the Indy-Pats game and HBO. Now the only buttons that work are the menu and guide buttons. No channel changing, ff, power, nothing. I have tried the suggestions above but they havent worked. If I hit the red reset does that erase everything in my VOD? Any other suggestions on how to fix?

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hobbes4 said:
I got this same problem all of sudden while flipping through the Indy-Pats game and HBO. Now the only buttons that work are the menu and guide buttons. No channel changing, ff, power, nothing. I have tried the suggestions above but they havent worked. If I hit the red reset does that erase everything in my VOD? Any other suggestions on how to fix?
Yes, something strange is going on. Unfortunately, I have been called away on emergency, so hope to continue this later. The remote controls the HR20 fine in the AV1 position, so I will have to go with this until I get back.

Thanks to everyone.

·
5 Posts
YES YES
I took delivery of an HR20 on Oct. 19. I had the exact same problem! The remote control absolutely stops communicating with the receiver. No reason. It can't be programmed, rebooting does no good and you're stuck using the buttons on the front of the box, but options are limited that way. They sent me a second HR20. It was dead on arrival. Wouldn't even power up. They sent me a THIRD HR20 and guess what -- within the first hour - the remote STOPPED working. After a total of 5 hours on the phone with Direct TV over this entire saga -- I finally told them to come out - disconnect everything and put reinstall my faithful TIVO. I told Customer service I wanted my money back but they refused. I've since written a letter to Chase Carey, President of Direct TV but naturally never did receive a response. None of the technicians know ANYTHING about these problems and those that do are lying to their customers. I'd be interested in knowing who else has had these remote control issues. I'm ready to call Dish Network.

hfhlt004 said:
I am posting this for informational purposes to see *if anyone has had this problem*. Suddenly 2 days ago, my remote stopped commanding the HR20. I could only control the box with the buttons on the front. The box seems to be functioning alright, recording and playing back, but only with the control panel on the front. The only thing that had changed is that I had just started using the RC32RF backlit a few days before this happened. I also have two RC23 remotes which also suddenly don't work to control the box either.

I called CS and they had me go through resets, and other things to try, but to no avail. They are sending me a new HR20. I will lose all the 32 recordings I have, but I want to be sure I don't have a hardware problem. I'll know by mid week when I get the new HR20. (If you have ever tried to watch recordings without a remote, you would understand why it is very unpleasant to do so, having no skip or fast forward, or many other functions). I also have had sound and vision problems from the start, which did not seem to be improving with the updates, but I was going to give it time. But this was the end of my wait. If I have bad hardware, I want to change out now rather than later.

·
9 Posts
Remote problem I'm having involves one or more function buttons not working at various times. Usually involves format button (seldom works) or any of the forward/reverse/pause functions. Have reset several times, works for a day or so then dies again

·
Legend
189 Posts
Just received a refurbished HR20 for the one that refused to accept signals from the remote control - did all the usual remedies but nothing worked. Had originally tried to set it for RF (so as not to interfer with the H20 in the same room) but that would not work and then froze up completely.
The new HR came with a RC32 remote. Can I set that one for RF without the recorder freezing up again? Have the Tips printed out but it seems to only refer to the RC24 remote to be set for 2 receivers in one room.
Thanks for your help.

·
Remote Master
1,820 Posts
knoxbh said:
Just received a refurbished HR20 for the one that refused to accept signals from the remote control - did all the usual remedies but nothing worked. Had originally tried to set it for RF (so as not to interfer with the H20 in the same room) but that would not work and then froze up completely.
The new HR came with a RC32 remote. Can I set that one for RF without the recorder freezing up again? Have the Tips printed out but it seems to only refer to the RC24 remote to be set for 2 receivers in one room.
Thanks for your help.
The RC32 is not RF, the RC32RF is, if back lit buttons then you have the RC32RF.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.