DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Legend
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every day at around sunset or later my local HD channels 2 thru 11 start pixilating and dropping out. They come back at about 10:pM sometimes earlier sometimes later. No 711, just a black screen. I have 2 HR20 700s and 1 HR20 100. They all do the same thing. The HR20 100 is less affected than the other boxes but it too loses the channels at times especially Channels 9 and 11.

During the day everything works perfectly. My signal levels including local spot beams are very high at all times so I know it is not an alignment problem. I can get my local HD programs from channels 80 and above except for channels 11 and 9 which I don't watch much anyway. I am in northen Westchester county 50 miles north of NY City.

My guess is some kind of sunspot activity since this has been going on only for the last 2 months.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Rabushka said:
Every day at around sunset or later my local HD channels 2 thru 11 start pixilating and dropping out. They come back at about 10:pM sometimes earlier sometimes later. No 711, just a black screen. I have 2 HR20 700s and 1 HR20 100. They all do the same thing. The HR20 100 is less affected than the other boxes but it too loses the channels at times especially Channels 9 and 11.

During the day everything works perfectly. My signal levels including local spot beams are very high at all times so I know it is not an alignment problem. I can get my local HD programs from channels 80 and above except for channels 11 and 9 which I don't watch much anyway. I am in northen Westchester county 50 miles north of NY City.

My guess is some kind of sunspot activity since this has been going on only for the last 2 months.
No, it's not sunspots. It's almost certainly a temperature or moisture (condensation?) problem with a connector or the LNB. Check the LNB radomes (plastic covers) to see if they are cracked or moisture has got inside. Check all the connectors.

· Legend
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
texasbrit said:
No, it's not sunspots. It's almost certainly a temperature or moisture (condensation?) problem with a connector or the LNB. Check the LNB radomes (plastic covers) to see if they are cracked or moisture has got inside. Check all the connectors.
I doubt that it's temperature related because the channels work regardless of temperature. I forgot to mention that 2 of my neighbors down the road are experiencing the same problem so it's unlikely that all 3 LNBs have ingress of moisture. As far as I know there is no RF interference being generated in the area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.