DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Legend
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 2 receivers, an HR24-500 and an HR20-700. I first noticed the problem on the HR24 where when you would change the channel, the picture would disappear. No error messages, just a blank screen.

I discovered a fix for it when I decided to check the signal strength, thinking perhaps the very bitter cold weather we're having might be the cause. The signal strength showed good signal, with numbers mostly in the 90's. So I exited out of the signal meter, and as soon as I did, the picture popped back in. It doesn't seem to matter which tuner I'm using, the same thing keeps happening, and then is temporarily corrected after checking the signal strength.

I reset that receiver, and so far, for the past day it's been working fine.

As to the HR20-700, I will get a searching for signal 771 on tuner 1. Again, if I go into signal strength, let the numbers populate, then go back to watching tv, the picture comes right back. I'm not sure if this is happening on both tuners, or only on tuner 1. I did reset the HR20-700, but the problem came back.

Does anyone have any idea about this problem? I know I should get a tech out, but there's a lot of snow and bitter cold so I've been proscrastinating.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,393 Posts
I had this problem when I had the hr20-700 after a few years. I had that issue after a thunderstorms that are common on the gulf coast that would have the box searching for signal for at least 15 min or so and it wouldn't automatically bring it back on tuner 1, but tuner 2 was fine. I was able to get an upgrade to hr44, being I was out of contract, protection plan, etc. I don't know if it is software or hardware issue dealing with loss of signal for an extended period of time, I haven't seen anyone post about that issue on the hr21 and up.

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
Intermittent switching is typically a switch problem. It is either getting marginal signal levels back from the STBs (too long or bad cables and connectors can do this), or it is just plain not reliable and should be replaced.

·
Legend
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TomCat said:
Intermittent switching is typically a switch problem. It is either getting marginal signal levels back from the STBs (too long or bad cables and connectors can do this), or it is just plain not reliable and should be replaced.
Thanks very much for the replies, I really appreciate it. So far, after the reset on the HR24-500 in the living room, I haven't had any further problems.

I am still having the problem on the HR20-700, where I will get a searching for signal 771 on tuner 1. Again, if I go into signal strength, and let the numbers populate, then go back to watching tv, the picture comes right back.

I have now received an HR24-500 as a replacement for the HR20-700 in the bedroom, but I haven't installed it yet. Hopefully the problem will go away and I won't have to call for a tech to come out (we still have lots of snow here). However, I suspect you might be right about the switch, TomCat. I know we had a problem once where water got into a switch and we had to have it replaced. The coax lines come in from the dish, through a hole in the brick outside wall, and then into the switch. There's caulk around the lines at the hole, but maybe some water got in. I'm going to check the switch to see if I can feel any dampness (switch is in the basement drop ceiling, but is accessible).

·
Legend
183 Posts
m4p said:
Hi, I have 2 receivers, an HR24-500 and an HR20-700. I first noticed the problem on the HR24 where when you would change the channel, the picture would disappear. No error messages, just a blank screen.

I discovered a fix for it when I decided to check the signal strength, thinking perhaps the very bitter cold weather we're having might be the cause. The signal strength showed good signal, with numbers mostly in the 90's. So I exited out of the signal meter, and as soon as I did, the picture popped back in. It doesn't seem to matter which tuner I'm using, the same thing keeps happening, and then is temporarily corrected after checking the signal strength.

I reset that receiver, and so far, for the past day it's been working fine.

As to the HR20-700, I will get a searching for signal 771 on tuner 1. Again, if I go into signal strength, let the numbers populate, then go back to watching tv, the picture comes right back. I'm not sure if this is happening on both tuners, or only on tuner 1. I did reset the HR20-700, but the problem came back.

Does anyone have any idea about this problem? I know I should get a tech out, but there's a lot of snow and bitter cold so I've been proscrastinating.
I am having exactly the same problem. It does it when it darn well feels like it. Hope somebody finds a fix!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.