DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been trying to figure out for awhile how to do this or if there is a affordable product that would help me.

I currently have an HR21 upstairs with an LCD TV (via HDMI). Right below in the basement is our movie room that has a project with component inputs for HD. I would like to somehow get a signal down to it and would prefer to do HD if possible.

It is not used a ton which is why it has not been top priority. Remote is also not an issue as the RF remote easily gets down there.

Solutions I have looked at:

-Wiring - Not easily done and I am a network installer so I know how to run wire. Problem is a lot of brick and a custom wood ceiling in the way that cannot be touched.

-Wireless - Have not found a solution that can do HD, and one that does not get horrendus static from my wireless router

Now between the two locations I do have a gigabit network connection, I also have coax I could run something over (although I have not seen any good solutions for HD over single coax).

The next solution would be a SWM and second receiver, but like I said it is not used much so I dont really want to spend ~$300 plus a monthly fee. Any ideas?

· Almost a new member
427 Posts
There are a few solutions for wireless HD/wireless HDMI that are coming out over the next year. I think Gefen has one now, Belkin is shipping product to do it in October. I think it's at least $800. Not sure what the other stuff costs. Clearly those are insane prices.

As far as "affordable", I assume you're looking for something that's sub $300.

http://www.copperbox.com/Intelix-DIGI-HDMI-F-HDMI-over-CAT5-balun-set-p/digi-hdmi-f.htm

I don't know if it's the best price for this set, or what the quality of this is. But it's about half the price of the other solutions I saw :)

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the info,

yes looking for sub $300 considering for more than that I could go and get another receiver and stick it in there. I would really like to stay pretty cheap if possible, but maybe its not (sub-$100 or so).

I have looked into baluns, but I dont have a open ethernet line for them to use, the network is needed in both locations as a network.

· Almost a new member
427 Posts
I don't believe that sub-$100 w/ HD quality is possible with any existing wireless technology.

Wireless N would be probably $100+ for a router + another $90 for the bridge. You said that your current wifi stuff doesn't work well, so you'd probably have to get some dual-band equipment.

You might want to do a search online for various combos of "Wireless HD"/WirelessHD/"Wireless HDMI". But most of that stuff is a few hundred bucks at least.

Here's a good place to start:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/06/20/study-confirms-that-wireless-hd-is-still-far-from-mainstream/

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it looks like the second receiver + SWM is going to be the cheaper solution for now. Maybe you can hold out for MRV, so you'd only need an HD box down there instead of the DVR?

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
I'll echo the others in that I don't think you can do HD on the cheap like that. You can get a modulator to send SD, but for HD you either need to run another line or get another box (with your price parameters).

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,454 Posts
Conventional wireless Ethernet probably won't work. It is designed for handling packets and I'm guessing that most Ethernet tranceiver solutions are bitstreaming. There's also the issue of interference from other devices in a house that is "wired" with cordless phones and a wireless LAN.

To get multichannel audio and video, you need something that will handle 19Mb+ consistently.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a gigabit network in my house that also goes to both points, so I was hoping their might be some kind of network system available, but maybe not. Not saying it has to be wireless....

The slingbox Pro HD + Slingcatcher (both coming out soon) would do what I am talking about, but will probably cost $400-$500 all said and done.

It does not HAVE to be under $100, I was just hoping and seeing what is out there besides $800 wireless HDMI senders and other really expensive things.

I wish ATSC modulators were cheap...that would be perfect for what I want to do!

3 Posts
Would Powerline ethernet work for what you want? You could go component to a balun, into the powerline ethernet, then back through a balun. Dunno if that would break your budget or not, but it is a solution. I am hoping to find affordable ATSC modulators myself, as I am planning on 4 HD DVRs in the closet, and want to be able to access the content on any TV in the house. This may be a long term project, as the costs on ATSC modulators is rather prohibitive :(

j

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,454 Posts
Grentz said:
I have a gigabit network in my house that also goes to both points, so I was hoping their might be some kind of network system available, but maybe not. Not saying it has to be wireless...
While these solutions can use Ethernet cabling, they cannot coexist on LANs.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
harsh said:
While these solutions can use Ethernet cabling, they cannot coexist on LANs.
I realize baluns would not work, I was hoping for a solution that could work on a LAN...like the Sling solution coming out, but hopefully something cheaper and maybe an alternative ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.