DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to restart my HR20 -700, and now it's stuck in 480p, which my TV can't display. It's can only display 480i. I've tried pushing the resolution button on the front, and it stays right on 480p. I eventually connected the HR20 to m TV via composite cable, and only 480i is selected, but it refuses to display it. Any ideas?

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
unhook the HDMI cable if you have one, in case it's an HDCP issue (which is very unlikely.) Temporarily hook up the HR20 via composite that's right, yellow RCA cable. That should force the output over that line to be 480i. From there go into the setup screens and see if you can enable then disable, 480i, and disable then enable the resolutions that are supported. Put the DVR back into standby and reconnect the HDMI cable if you have one.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
So, you're saying you go into setup, then HDTV, and other resolutions are selected there, but when you push FORMAT on the remote or RES on the front panel, it doesn't tell you that it's in 720 or 1080?

I did help someone with a case like this a while back and unplugging the receiver for over 15 minutes fixed it.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
What happens when you push FORMAT on the remote?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Native on or off?
It kind of sounds like it's "hung".
While you're on composite, go into the setup menu and select native on, but only check the 480i resolution. Then see what happens. If you find "it's back to normal" you should be able to turn native off [again].

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
With native on, go to an SD channel like 297 to try to force it into 480i.

As a last resort, you may want to try to download the software again. I have seen issues with friends' DVRs that acted wierd and reloading the software fixed it.

Reloading involves hitting 0-2-4-6-8 on the remote while the DVR is rebooting.

But, first make sure you have no other connections to your TV or other device that may be telling the DVR that is needs to be progressive.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
kturcotte said:
Native doesn't affect it at all. Iv'e menu reset it, RBR, and finally just pulled the plug, and none of it has fixed it. 480i for all the startup screens, and then instantly to 480p once I get TV.
Native on/off won't make a change to anything "until" you also make a channel change. This may not do anything for you, but does sound "close" to where your problem lies.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I'm thinking the long unplugging would be a good diagnostic tool at this point.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,792 Posts
kturcotte said:
Unplugging it for about 20 minutes did seem to do the trick. Any reason why it's doing this though? INSISTING on going to 480p when I already told it my TV can't display that?
Maybe a hang up from the R22-100 software which always locks on 480p.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
kturcotte said:
Unplugging it for about 20 minutes did seem to do the trick. Any reason why it's doing this though? INSISTING on going to 480p when I already told it my TV can't display that?
"reason"? not really, but "my take" is that a chip was staying high on one of it's gates, causing the logic to stay in the boot up state. The "Hello" screen is 480i, but the next white screen seems to be 480p. At this point the "logic" hung and so any input/changes you make after this don't get through.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
veryoldschool said:
"reason"? not really, but "my take" is that a chip was staying high on one of it's gates, causing the logic to stay in the boot up state. The "Hello" screen is 480i, but the next white screen seems to be 480p. At this point the "logic" hung and so any input/changes you make after this don't get through.
Sure blame it on the hardware, must be software guy!.

sounds more like a *res_output[] buffer was getting squashed causing an invalid read cycle to me..:)

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
BattleScott said:
Sure blame it on the hardware, must be software guy!.

sounds more like a *res_output[] buffer was getting squashed causing an invalid read cycle to me..:)
:lol: if you only knew me..... :lol:
I'm one of the most "hardware guys" you could find.
"The hardware" [chip] was storing a slight voltage that needed, the 20 min of no voltage, to discharge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.