DBSTalk Forum banner

Stumped - Recording a program on one tuner and watching on the other.

800 Views 16 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  veryoldschool
I need help. I have both tuners hooked up via the zinwell 6 x 8 multi switch and the new slimline dish. I am attempting the record a program and watch a different program in real time. Each time I do this it says that "two tuners are in use" I have checked and rechecked the connections, reset the unit. I also have ran the a system test. The HR20 is aquiring tuner 1 at 93% and tuner 2 at 67%. This is probably a basic question so I apologize in advance. Thanks
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Tuner 2 should not be at 67%... if Tuner 1 is at 93%

Swap the wires, and see if the signal levels follow the swap.

If they don't.. you may have a hardware issue.
Thanks for the quick response. I switched the wires and ran a test. tuner 1 is now at 0% and tuner 2 is at 86%. Also, a "searching for Signal (771) error appears. I then switched the wires back and I am succesfully back where I started....any ideas?
brianxmurray said:
I need help. I have both tuners hooked up via the zinwell 6 x 8 multi switch and the new slimline dish. I am attempting the record a program and watch a different program in real time. Each time I do this it says that "two tuners are in use" I have checked and rechecked the connections, reset the unit.
I, too, am having this problem, and I have had my DirecTV setup for less than one week. Judging by the overwhelming amount of posts, I can only look forward to headache :(

I ran my system test, and my tuner 2 was at 51%. I know I could record two shows at the same time shortly after installation, and I have done nothing since the technician left. If replacing the hardware is the only solution, then I'm going back to Dish Network; I hate talking to outsourced call centers, but at least their hardware works. I already had to spend 6 hours on the phone in one day just to get my account set up the way the D* sales rep said it would.
brianxmurray said:
Thanks for the quick response. I switched the wires and ran a test. tuner 1 is now at 0% and tuner 2 is at 86%. Also, a "searching for Signal (771) error appears. I then switched the wires back and I am succesfully back where I started....any ideas?
When I switched my wires, satellite 2 was 98% and satellite 1 was 0% -- same signal error as other poster appeared.
Are your B Band Converters installed? If so remove those and let us know.
Almost sounds as if your coax terminations are bad, well the one that's showing a low reading I should say.. The termination ends may need to be redone. I had an install and had to replace the ends and it solved the problem.

If your lines run straight thru the wall from the dish and into your HR20, then I'd think it's the Coax terminal ends. If you have a wall plate, try switching the cables from your wall plate to the HR20 at the wall plate end. If the signal stays the same, you have a bad run from the wall plate to the Dish. If the signal, changes, you have a bad "patch" coax and should find a replacement. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need a bit more explaining, I'd be happy to help as would others here I'm sure. :)
update. Tech came this morning. Stated the Coax terminators are bad and replaced them all on the multiswitch, inside and outside the wall...etc. He said with the new dish....slimline 5lnb...the connectors need to be replaced.
brianxmurray said:
update. Tech came this morning. Stated the Coax terminators are bad and replaced them all on the multiswitch, inside and outside the wall...etc. He said with the new dish....slimline 5lnb...the connectors need to be replaced.
Terminations are a no, no for the multi-switch. The DC power is "shunted" across them [not good] reducing the power to the LNBs.
maybe i used the wrong term. They are the screw on connectors at the end of the coax cable
brianxmurray said:
maybe i used the wrong term. They are the screw on connectors at the end of the coax cable
A termination would be used on the "unused" ports of the switch.
Screw-on F-type connectors are just crap, & shouldn't be used [for the reason you now know]. Crimp-on would be the minimum, but sealed compression is what you want [also to be installed correctly].
I imagine he means the screw on part of the F connector.
ok.. Thats what I did. He installed crimp on connectors to the HR20. Could that alone be causing tuner 2 to not pick up a signal? b/c it is still not working and thus the tech order another until from DTV
wmschultz said:
I imagine he means the screw on part of the F connector.
Maybe he did, or maybe the connectors used weren't installed correctly. My installer use compression, but didn't squeeze the tool enough, and left almost a 1/4" air gap on every one. Which of course raised havoc with the system [as there was a mismatch at every connection].
brianxmurray said:
ok.. Thats what I did. He installed crimp on connectors to the HR20. Could that alone be causing tuner 2 to not pick up a signal? b/c it is still not working and thus the tech order another until from DTV
Did the tech swap the cables at the LNB? If you have an open port there, try that.
Well. I will see how the new unit fares. If it doesn't work properly I will certainly request the sealed compression connectors. I previously had a HR10-250 in the same location for over a year that never had a problem. Thanks for your imput
When you look at the cable end: you should see the white insulation come all the way to where the threads start down inside, with no [air] gap.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.