DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Legend
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've had my HR20 on Starz all night.

I looked up and noticed Exorcism of Emily Rose is on, so I hit the record button. It's then that I notice the info banner is wrong.

Keep in mind that this show started at 9:30pm.

The OSD pops up, saying it's recording "Dumb and Dumberer" from 7:30 pm, as though I'd just asked it to record something from the past. The info banner also thinks it's this movie from two hours ago.

I wouldn't watch that movie if you paid me, let alone record it voluntarily.

But why is it recording something that's been over for almost an hour? Why does it think this movie is that movie?

I go to MyVOD. It's got a listing for D&D, but not recording. The length is all screwy, and trying to play it gets me a black screen.

I delete it, and go back to live TV. At least now the info is correct.

I hit the record button. Nothing.

I got to Guide, highlight the movie, and hit record. Nothing.

This stupid box is driving me INSANE! I know I wanted a tivo-like Suggestions feature, but I did NOT want the box to decide what I would and would not be able to watch or record.

Hey, D*! Take this thing back and come back in a few years when your programmers have half a clue between them!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
mcl said:
Ok, I've had my HR20 on Starz all night.

I looked up and noticed Exorcism of Emily Rose is on, so I hit the record button. It's then that I notice the info banner is wrong.

Keep in mind that this show started at 9:30pm.

The OSD pops up, saying it's recording "Dumb and Dumberer" from 7:30 pm, as though I'd just asked it to record something from the past. The info banner also thinks it's this movie from two hours ago.

I wouldn't watch that movie if you paid me, let alone record it voluntarily.

But why is it recording something that's been over for almost an hour? Why does it think this movie is that movie?

I go to MyVOD. It's got a listing for D&D, but not recording. The length is all screwy, and trying to play it gets me a black screen.

I delete it, and go back to live TV. At least now the info is correct.

I hit the record button. Nothing.

I got to Guide, highlight the movie, and hit record. Nothing.

This stupid box is driving me INSANE! I know I wanted a tivo-like Suggestions feature, but I did NOT want the box to decide what I would and would not be able to watch or record.

Hey, D*! Take this thing back and come back in a few years when your programmers have half a clue between them!
There are a lot of people on these forums who try to help people who are having one kind of problem or another. I'm one of them, and have been helped by others as well. Let me give you a piece of advice:

If you want help, state your problem clearly, giving as much detail about the nature of the problem as possible, and your setup. Leave out the emotional rants. I was very interested in your problem until I ran into all the vitriol. I almost chose to go on to another thread and let you stew. I'll bet I'm not alone (32 views and not one response, when I checked)

Do you think people who want to help enjoy reading a bunch of sarcasm and insults (even if directed at a company or its employees)? I've noticed that those who engage in the most emotional tirades have near nothing to offer in terms of helping anyone.

The HR20 is completely "Guide Dependent"...if there is the slightest problem with the Guide information, it causes the HR20 to get confused. It can either freak out and hang, or make a determination that doesn't reflect the user's actual choices.

Try recording another program on Starz (just a short piece of it) and see if it works right. If it doesn't, try a red button reset, and record again. If that doesn't work, change to another channel and try recording.

The "red button reset" will clear the Guide and rebuild it, that's why I'm suggesting it. It could be the Guide has bad information, some corruption or other problem. If you reload the Guide (red button reset) and the problem is still there, perhaps that will give us a clue as to what is going on.

·
Banned
375 Posts
To the Op Please include your emoitional rants, sometimes its okay to say how you feel....especially after you pay a couple hundred for a box to work...this is a forum, a place where people do this this isnt a "official" directv place as much as people want it to be.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Emotional rants don't fix anything, all they do is obscure the nature of the original problem. Sarcasm and hyperbole make it hard to figure out what's a real problem with hardware and software, and what's just someone talking out of their a$$ because they're angry.

And FYI, some of us (many, perhaps) didn't pay a cent for this box - we got a free upgrade deal and did a little research to see what we were doing before we jumped in with both feet. That's never a bad idea before making a major change in how things work around the house, don't you think?

·
Legend
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hasan said:
There are a lot of people on these forums who try to help people who are having one kind of problem or another. I'm one of them, and have been helped by others as well. Let me give you a piece of advice:

If you want help, state your problem clearly, giving as much detail about the nature of the problem as possible, and your setup. Leave out the emotional rants. I was very interested in your problem until I ran into all the vitriol. I almost chose to go on to another thread and let you stew. I'll bet I'm not alone (32 views and not one response, when I checked)

Do you think people who want to help enjoy reading a bunch of sarcasm and insults (even if directed at a company or its employees)? I've noticed that those who engage in the most emotional tirades have near nothing to offer in terms of helping anyone.

The HR20 is completely "Guide Dependent"...if there is the slightest problem with the Guide information, it causes the HR20 to get confused. It can either freak out and hang, or make a determination that doesn't reflect the user's actual choices.

Try recording another program on Starz (just a short piece of it) and see if it works right. If it doesn't, try a red button reset, and record again. If that doesn't work, change to another channel and try recording.

The "red button reset" will clear the Guide and rebuild it, that's why I'm suggesting it. It could be the Guide has bad information, some corruption or other problem. If you reload the Guide (red button reset) and the problem is still there, perhaps that will give us a clue as to what is going on.
If you can't take a little venting about a product you aren't even responsible for, I suggest you grow a thicker skin. Now, on to your substantive points:

1) I couldn't try to record another show on Starz. You see, I only have the one Starz channel, not living in a parallel universe, and waiting for the current movie to end to try that would defeat the purpose of recording the current movie.

2) I couldn't try to change channels and record something, because changing channels would clear that tuner's buffer and cause the movie, if I was able to record it, to be truncated, thus defeating the purpose again.

3) I'm not about to do a red-button reset and lose all my guide data, etc. As a consumer, I shouldn't have to, either.

4) I'm not about to go through procedures that most companies would normally include as part of their QA process to diagnose a problem. I'm not a beta tester and I'm not a D* employee. I'm a paying customer (and paying quite handsomely, I might add). It's not my job to debug their software. It's theirs.

Coming off all high and mighty as you are, you sound like the typical fanboy and as such, have as little to offer as those ranters for which you have so much disdain.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,052 Posts
mcl said:
3) I'm not about to do a red-button reset and lose all my guide data, etc. As a consumer, I shouldn't have to, either.
So if your PC ever locks up, you will never reboot it because you shouldn't have to? :rolleyes:

mcl said:
4) I'm not about to go through procedures that most companies would normally include as part of their QA process to diagnose a problem. I'm not a beta tester and I'm not a D* employee. I'm a paying customer (and paying quite handsomely, I might add). It's not my job to debug their software. It's theirs.
Then I guess you will just have to live with it (and continue to rant) if you are unwilling to calmly and accurately document the problem. I'll bet you haven't even called DirecTV to report the problem because you 'shouldn't have to'. Do you think that any software as complicated as a DVR can have every single bug caught just through beta testing and QA? I've had every flavor of Tivo since 1999 and 7 years later it still has bugs.

·
Legend
189 Posts
hasan said:
Let me give you a piece of advice:

Wow, the forum police are really getting strict :eek2: . Compared to most, I didn't think his "rant" was anywhere near the point for which this response was warranted.

Here's the extent of the "bunch of sarcasm and insults" and the "emotional rant."

Youch, that was heavy (sarcasm.......sorry).

In the future, when you wanna help someone, maybe leave out the criticism giving as much detail about the nature of your help as possible? I was very interested in your response until I ran into all the criticism. I almost chose to go on to another thread and let you continue to criticize.

I'll bet I'm not alone.:rolleyes:

·
Legend
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
poppo said:
So if your PC ever locks up, you will never reboot it because you shouldn't have to? :rolleyes:
If my Windows machine locks up, I'll dig into my configuration -- both hardware and software -- and fix the problem. Because, you see, Windows is not the same thing as a consumer device with an embedded OS. Windows, unlike the HR-20, has many, many knobs and dials that the administrator can use to both locate and correct problems that might exist, because those problems are more often than not configuration problems, and not problems with the OS itself (except, perhaps, poor design).

Thankfully, I only use Windows for videogames. I'm typing this on a Mac. Because I believe in OSes I don't have to reboot.

A consumer box with an embedded OS has no such diagnostic knobs and dials. Similarly, I can't muck about with the hardware or software components. This is supposedly a good thing: it means that the box and its configuration is a known quantity. Every unit the same, with the same installed software, running on the same hardware. What I do to the configuration of the software should never, I repeat, NEVER, elicit an unexpected (from the programmer's point of view) behavior from the box.

And before you go into the whole counter-argument about "it could be your cables, or this, or that, or the other", I'll point out to you that D* requires professional installation of these boxes for exactly that reason: to eliminate such things as a potential source of problems. Furthermore, not being a typical consumer, I have read the specs, and know my configuration meets them, from the dish to the cable run to the connectors to the box to the set. And no, I'm not using HDMI. I never have.

Before you and your ilk jump on the "but it could be any number of factors!" bandwagon, you should stop and think for a minute. Most of the people here, myself included, are far beyond the average consumer. Most of us have spent tens of thousands of dollars on our home theater setups, and know quite well how to perform basic troubleshooting. Most of us have been early adopters for many, many years. This is not our first dip into the pool.

So, you might want to start by giving posters a bit of credit, and assume that yes, in fact, they HAVE performed the standard troubleshooting steps. Yes, in fact, they're aware of and accustomed to the problems that accompany being an early-adopter.

Then, you might be enlightened to realize that these above-average consumers, with high-end gear, a knowledge of troubleshooting, and a history of being early-adopters, are taken aback by the poor quality of the product D* released. The problems go so far beyond the pale even in terms of early-adopter experience that many of us are incensed.

Face it: D* released a DVR that can't perform its basic function: D'ly R'ing V. If there were just bugs with the menu system, or the guide, or cosmetic issues, I'm sure most of us would be happy to chalk it up to buying early. But the thing fails to record. Repeatedly. In multiple modes and myriad scenarios. That's like releasing a toaster without heater coils.

Then I guess you will just have to live with it (and continue to rant) if you are unwilling to calmly and accurately document the problem. I'll bet you haven't even called DirecTV to report the problem because you 'shouldn't have to'. Do you think that any software as complicated as a DVR can have every single bug caught just through beta testing and QA? I've had every flavor of Tivo since 1999 and 7 years later it still has bugs.
I did calmly and accurately document the problem. I stated the problem quite clearly, in fact. I described the state of the box when I tried to record, I described the ways in which I attempted to record, and I described the manner in which it failed.

The fact that you read into my tone, or just don't like it when someone who spends quite a bit of money on monthly service and a consumer appliance gets a bit upset when the new, spendy appliance fails in its most basic functionality -- a functionality that is made all the more important because the nature of what it is designed to capture is transient and may be lost for good if the functionality is faulty -- isn't my problem. It's yours.

Grow a thicker skin or stop taking people's problems with a faceless, profit-driven corporation as personal attacks. I suggest both.

·
Mentor
39 Posts
Did you check your " parental controls" ? With the last update Oxe3 some people had some movie and TV content blocked. I had this problem when trying to record Nip/ Tuck. Unblocked it and now that show will record.

·
Legend
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
genap said:
Did you check your " parental controls" ? With the last update Oxe3 some people had some movie and TV content blocked. I had this problem when trying to record Nip/ Tuck. Unblocked it and now that show will record.
Yes, I did. In fact, I checked and corrected them the morning after I got the download. That was last week. I've recorded plenty of content since then that would have been restricted if I hadn't fixed that particular bit of nonsense.

·
Banned
686 Posts
poppo said:
Do you think that any software as complicated as a DVR can have every single bug caught just through beta testing and QA? I've had every flavor of Tivo since 1999 and 7 years later it still has bugs.
Red Herring. And an old tired one at that.

nobody is demanding bug-free software. all we want is reliable basic functionality.

·
Banned
686 Posts
LameLefty said:
And FYI, some of us (many, perhaps) didn't pay a cent for this box - we got a free upgrade deal
Either you are exceedingly stupid, or being deliberately misleading. we pay over a hundred dollars a month to this company. There is no such thing as "Free". The hardware was subsidized as part of a deal obligating us to a 2 year commitment.

That's not "free". Stop pretending it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.