DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
asked me if I wanted to delete during the 4th quarter, WTF???? This thing is a POS, I am not even calling DTV to complain because when I do and they tell me they have never heard of this happening before I know I will cuss their dumb lying a you know what's out I am so po'd and tired of this crap. I set it to record 1.5 hours over and it stopped recording exactly 3 hours and ten minutes into the game as if that was the normal time I had set it to record. The whole Time I was sitting there watching it the guide at the bottom said 4.5 hours while the green thing was carching up so I know for a fact I did not program it wrong. I am this close to, after NFL is over due to ST cancelling this thing and laughing at them when they ask for their cancellation fee due to my 2 year commitment, sicne they can't demiver the service I bargained for, I won't pay a commitment unless this junkoid quits acting up by December, January rather, and they can do whatever they want. I'm a lawyer and with my rating and income lever, whatevr theyr eport to a credit bureau wont matter. And if they want this piece of junk, they are dreaming if they think i'll mail it to them, they are welcome to come get it any day or time I am home, but that will be it. It's a two way street. Or as an alternative they can just waive for eternity the 5 buck DVR fee since it's unreliable but leave the service on since it's roulette anyway and i'll accept that. You think they'll go for that.

·
7 Posts
That is really strange! I recorded same game and set it to record 1 hour over. Was watching recording and catching up while it was still recording. At one point, it switched to other tuner, and when I changed back to MYVOD, the progress bar at the bottom read 3:10!

I do not know if it is a coincidence or not, but mine changed itself from 4:00(one hour over) to 3:10.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine did not switch over, I was catching up and at one point just asked me at the 3:10 nark if I was ready to delete and when I said no, poof, it was gone, ridiculous. But surprise!!! When I called DTV they said they were aware of it and were aware of the problem in general and my specific issue and were working on a fix, I almost fell out my chair.

·
Legend
126 Posts
geaux1 said:
asked me if I wanted to delete during the 4th quarter, WTF???? This thing is a POS, I am not even calling DTV to complain because when I do and they tell me they have never heard of this happening before I know I will cuss their dumb lying a you know what's out I am so po'd and tired of this crap. I set it to record 1.5 hours over and it stopped recording exactly 3 hours and ten minutes into the game as if that was the normal time I had set it to record. The whole Time I was sitting there watching it the guide at the bottom said 4.5 hours while the green thing was carching up so I know for a fact I did not program it wrong. I am this close to, after NFL is over due to ST cancelling this thing and laughing at them when they ask for their cancellation fee due to my 2 year commitment, sicne they can't demiver the service I bargained for, I won't pay a commitment unless this junkoid quits acting up by December, January rather, and they can do whatever they want. I'm a lawyer and with my rating and income lever, whatevr theyr eport to a credit bureau wont matter. And if they want this piece of junk, they are dreaming if they think i'll mail it to them, they are welcome to come get it any day or time I am home, but that will be it. It's a two way street. Or as an alternative they can just waive for eternity the 5 buck DVR fee since it's unreliable but leave the service on since it's roulette anyway and i'll accept that. You think they'll go for that.
I share your frustration. The pad problem is a known common issue - for some reason it always stops around 3:10. The only solution I have found that works for not is to record the program(s) right after the game instead of a pad. This has worked for me thus far.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Frodtab's right - padding is one of the biggest remaining bugs. So don't use it if you can avoid it. Instead do as he suggests and just record the next program(s) to fill out the time you want padded. Of course, if you missed the fourth quarter of that game you missed a doozy. :)

On the other hand, it would really, really help if the programming people at the networks would quit telling us football games are three hours long when they're almost always 3-1/2 or more. :rolleyes:

·
Icon
777 Posts
Same thing happened for the race Saturday. Had it padded for 1 hour and it stopped at 3:40. Strange that it seemed to be :10 past the top and bottom of the hour. It showed up as "Partial" in my list. At least it wasn't deleted like other Partials I've seen.

·
Icon
797 Posts
geaux1 said:
Wow, bravo! Beautiful rant. I hope you really are an attorney because you clearly need a secretary to do your typing. :)

Totally sucks for sure man. Sorry you missed the end of the game. I'd say that now might be a good time to get up off the floor and redirect your energies from kicking and screaming.

Xaa

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Xaa, my secretary isn't at my house on Saturday drinking beer with me. Does the padding never work? I've never had this problem before? Should I always do this for every game? That's kind of crazy, but that's what i'll do from now on.

·
Legend
210 Posts
w/ the world series game 4... earlier last week.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68472
Was watching on sd local chan on the buffer behind the live action. Recording was on VOD and was also recording a ESPN HD chan. at the same time.

The world Series had an extra 1 1/2 padding on the recording but it still stopped at 11 Eastern , after 3 hrs.

When I noticed it had stopped "recording" Prog was in my VOD as furnished. Posters have suggested just to avoid padding and set the next prog(s) to record as a work around, OK but why? This is a basic feature that has to work...

Tried to record the "next" show from the guide page but all it did is freeze.
And went to the Black, "bsod"... The reset did not help. Pita

·
Hall Of Fame
1,743 Posts
I used padding of 30 minutes just fine yesterday for programs on CBS after football caaused late starts. I did notice the orange progress bar was gone and the progress bar show green buffer, however going into the recordings on MyVOD showed the programs were still recording also the record light was lit. Playing the shows back proved they were complete. Could this bug only manifest itself for extreme length recordings such as sports.

·
Godfather
262 Posts
I always had problems with padding normal TV shows, most notably, Amazing Race and Cold Case on Sunday nights...now I just set it to record everything on CBS that night rather than pad...it has worked fine.

But again, as many professional reviewers have pointed out, this IS UNACCEPTABLE for the consumer to have to discover workarounds to basic DVR functions. I can't imagine those consumers that dont use forums and have the HR20...they must be baffled.

D* is more than lucky to have the NFL in its back pocket; with the HD and DVR issues over the past 2 years, I would suspect the financials of the company would be pretty poor...as I know I would not be with D* if not for the NFL...

·
Godfather
260 Posts
LameLefty said:
On the other hand, it would really, really help if the programming people at the networks would quit telling us football games are three hours long when they're almost always 3-1/2 or more. :rolleyes:
Isn't that the truth, especially college games. Of course if they got rid of all of the commercial breaks then they could fit it into that timeslot :rolleyes:

I padded the Oklahoma-Missouri ABC last Saturday 1 hour and it seemed to work fine. But I did start watching it about 2 hours after it started so I was watching the recorded portion while it was recording and stayed the extra time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.