DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Legend
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a stupid question but why does everyone want the OTA feature so bad? Can't you get the MPEG-4 signal for locals through the satellite anyways? What is the point of getting an OTA signal if you can get that same exact signal via the satellite? :)

· Icon
731 Posts
I am in MPLS as well.. we cannot bet PBS with D*.... and with OTA we get MANY more channels... 3 or 4 per the channel D* shows..

VERY COOL... and VERY important.

· Icon
600 Posts
I watched game 5 of the Series last night from my local FOX affiliate. and the Florida-Georgia game on CBS today, both in mpeg4. I think I now know what many are referring to as "HD-Lite!" The picture looks better than SD, but it also is very "blocky/pixellated." Certain shots just looked horrible. I was wondering if it would look better with OTA.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
Benefits of OTA reception include ....

1. More channels. DirecTV only provides the major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox). You'll have more channels if you can receive them with an antenna (CW, MyNetwork, PBS and independents).

2. Subchannels. Many OTA channels include subchannels that DirecTV doesn't carry (WeatherPlus, The Tube, etc.).

3. Possibly better video quality.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Benefits of OTA reception include ....

1. More channels. DirecTV only provides the major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox). You'll have more channels if you can receive them with an antenna (CW, MyNetwork, PBS and independents).

2. Subchannels. Many OTA channels include subchannels that DirecTV doesn't carry (WeatherPlus, The Tube, etc.).

3. Possibly better video quality.
Also 4. Higher reliability (for those of us in rainy areas)

· DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
NFLnut said:
I watched game 5 of the Series last night from my local FOX affiliate. and the Florida-Georgia game on CBS today, both in mpeg4. I think I now know what many are referring to as "HD-Lite!" The picture looks better than SD, but it also is very "blocky/pixellated." Certain shots just looked horrible. I was wondering if it would look better with OTA.
One thing that you can factor in to sports events broadcasting - often, not every camera they use is HD - they may upscale it or not depending on the feed.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,573 Posts
Slip Jigs said:
One thing that you can factor in to sports events broadcasting - often, not every camera they use is HD - they may upscale it or not depending on the feed.
In the case of the World Series, I would guess that only the cameras that were buried at the mound and at home plate were SD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.