DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching a live channel. Commercial comes on and I pause live tv and start watching something recorded. I then return to live tv only to find it is no longer paused and has advanced to it's current live spot and I then have to rewind to get back to where I was. How can I keep it paused? It seems pretty silly that a paused channel does not stay paused. Am I just stupid in this case?

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think so too. That's the stupid part of things. When you pause something you would expect it to be paused until the buffer runs out or you unpause it. Maybe that will be in update 0exfhsfdjopjhfdfd

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
ssn said:
i think so too. That's the stupid part of things. When you pause something you would expect it to be paused until the buffer runs out or you unpause it. Maybe that will be in update 0exfhsfdjopjhfdfd
No, update 0exfhsfdjopjhfdfd is reserved for OTA :D

·
Legend
210 Posts
got that right baffles why pause does not mean pause...

ssn said:

·
Legend
152 Posts
Pause could only mean pause with dual buffers. With only one, when you change live channels, it dumps the current buffer and starts another. Just the way it is going to work until and if they implement dual buffers.

·
6 Posts
ssn said:
I'm watching a live channel. Commercial comes on and I pause live tv and start watching something recorded. I then return to live tv only to find it is no longer paused and has advanced to it's current live spot and I then have to rewind to get back to where I was. How can I keep it paused? It seems pretty silly that a paused channel does not stay paused. Am I just stupid in this case?
Tips and tricks guide says you can do this if you record from both tuners. Pause one program change to other tuner. Pause 2nd tuner and swap back. Only problem is it dosen't work either!

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
opelap said:
Pause could only mean pause with dual buffers. With only one, when you change live channels, it dumps the current buffer and starts another. Just the way it is going to work until and if they implement dual buffers.
The OP was watching one live channel, then paused that to watch a recorded show during a commercial. Then wanted to come back to the live channel, still using the same one live buffer, that should still be paused. Has nothing to do with dual buffers. Has everything to do with the fact the R15/HR20 was designed in a vacuum with little knowledge how DVR owners use their DVRs.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ding! Question had nothing to do with dual buffers. Has to to with pausing a channel then watching something recorded and then coming back to the same paused live channel, which will no longer be paused. When you pause something it should stay paused. Recording both is a stupid solution to something as basic as pausing live tv. This is fundamental to dvr's. Just as is stable recordings.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everybody understands the concept of if you have 1 buffer and if you change a channel that buffer starts on the new channel. Stupid does not mean retarded. Retarded is a expensive system that does not stay paused when you do not change that channel. As long as you stay on that channel, that channel should only become unpaused when that buffer has reached it's limit. There should be no need to record 2 channels. This system has live buffer currently and there is no reason short of a full buffer that should cause it to become unpaused and jump to the current live position of that channel.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
I'm sorry. I guess I'm just having a little trouble understanding this. If I'm watching a live program, but I want to instead go and watch something I've recorded, I would have absolutely NO expectation that the live program would remain paused! If I wanted to watch something I've recorded, then come back and watch the other live program, I would be recording both programs - not pausing the live program and going back expecting it to still be paused.

Maybe that's just my expectation based on never having the ability to do this before. Especially when before we were talking about a 30 minute buffer and not 90.

If there was a program that I was that interested in watching, but preferred to watch a different program while the first aired live, I would be recording the first program to watch later - no pause problems involved.

Am I the only one that's thinking this way? Just curious.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
JLucPicard said:
Maybe that's just my expectation based on never having the ability to do this before. Especially when before we were talking about a 30 minute buffer and not 90.
Your DTivos currently work that way. Pause a live program, watch a portion of a recorded program, return to the live program and it's still paused.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you own a dvr and you wish to pause what you are watching and come back to it in your allotted buffer time. It should stay paused. Whether you choose to record a program or not should not matter. Why have a buffer that you can pause if the pause does not stay?

The point of dvr's since it's inception was to be able to pause live tv and for whatever reason and come back it in it's paused state as long as you return in it allotted buffer time or if you do not change the channel that is currently being buffered.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
I don't think I've ever even considered pausing a live show to watch a recorded show. Like someone else said - Press the R button on the live show and watch it whenever you want to.

:)

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you must not watch much tv. If I am surfing several shows I don't want to record them all . Regardless of anything. A pause button means you press it and something stays paused. It would seem simple to me and maybe almost 10 years old tivo programing that you could program a pause that stays paused until buffer runs out or the user presses another button. I understand there are ways around it. It's a fundamental flaw in the system that allows for you to pause something that does not stay paused. Not only does it not stay paused, it jumps to the live portion. Any owner of anything electronic from cd player, to dvd, to record player knows if you press pause things will stay paused until something causes it to end.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
ssn said:
you must not watch much tv. If I am surfing several shows I don't want to record them all . Regardless of anything. A pause button means you press it and something stays paused. It would seem simple to me and maybe almost 10 years old tivo programing that you could program a pause that stays paused until buffer runs out or the user presses another button. I understand there are ways around it. It's a fundamental flaw in the system that allows for you to pause something that does not stay paused. Not only does it not stay paused, it jumps to the live portion. Any owner of anything electronic from cd player, to dvd, to record player knows if you press pause things will stay paused until something causes it to end.
Very true. Being a "real TV surfer" my Tivos really help. Watch two live shows, pause them while I'm away and also watch any number of recorded shows. Let the buffers (two on the Tivo) run past the commercial and you can pop back to either of the two live shows and skip (not slip) beyond the commercials.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it doesn't seem too outragous to want to pause something and have it stay paused. It's not like I'm asking for dual buffers or the outlandish recordings that actually record. Just a simple ole pause.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.