DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Godfather
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still on 0xE3, but the stutter has been occuring for as long as I can remember. It looks as though the hard drive can't keep up with the video stream and drops frames.

It has occurred on SD MPEG2, HD MPEG2, and HD MPEG4.

It has occurred when one program has been recording, and when two programs have been recording. As far as I can tell, it has only happened while watching a recorded program. I'm not sure if it's occurred while watching live.

And I don't think it's the so-called 8mm bug, because it's not limited to MPEG4... but then again, I'm not sure I know exactly what the 8mm bug is. Can someone explain?

So anyway... Has anyone else seen this stuttering?

Paul

· Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
I've seen it happen a few times on my HR20 as well. it's not real bad but I've seen it in recorded programs and in live tv. I too have not yet received the latest update so I can't tell you if it gets corrected in the latest update or not.

· Legend
109 Posts
pgfitzgerald said:
I'm still on 0xE3, but the stutter has been occuring for as long as I can remember. It looks as though the hard drive can't keep up with the video stream and drops frames.

It has occurred on SD MPEG2, HD MPEG2, and HD MPEG4.

It has occurred when one program has been recording, and when two programs have been recording. As far as I can tell, it has only happened while watching a recorded program. I'm not sure if it's occurred while watching live.

And I don't think it's the so-called 8mm bug, because it's not limited to MPEG4... but then again, I'm not sure I know exactly what the 8mm bug is. Can someone explain?

So anyway... Has anyone else seen this stuttering?

Paul
It sounds like you may have either a hard drive issue or a dish alignment problem. It's not the 8mm problem; the best way to describe it is that it looks like whole frames are missing from the picture. Tune in the Today show tomorrow morning on WMC and you'll really be able to see it. The picture is very clear but the motion isn't smooth, and it doesn't look like a "live" broadcast.

-Chuck

· Godfather
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
soccercoach61 said:
It sounds like you may have either a hard drive issue or a dish alignment problem. It's not the 8mm problem; the best way to describe it is that it looks like whole frames are missing from the picture. Tune in the Today show tomorrow morning on WMC and you'll really be able to see it. The picture is very clear but the motion isn't smooth, and it doesn't look like a "live" broadcast.

-Chuck
I might agree that it's a hard drive issue, but I don't think it's a dish alignment issue. My dish was just replaced because I had a bad LNB assembly. The stuttering occurred both before and after the replacement, and my signal strength is in the mid to high 90s.

What I'm experiencing sounds exactly like your description of the 8mm problem. The stutter looks like dropped frames to me. What I see on screen is very clear, but it's like it's playing at 10-15fps as opposed to 30fps. In only happens for a few seconds, then goes back to normal.

I'll check out the Today show tomorrow morning so I can see what you're talking about.

Paul

· Godfather
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strejcek said:
I've seen it happen a few times on my HR20 as well. it's not real bad but I've seen it in recorded programs and in live tv. I too have not yet received the latest update so I can't tell you if it gets corrected in the latest update or not.
Have you seen it in SD MPEG2, HD MPEG2, HD MPEG4, or a combination of the three?

Paul

· Godfather
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
soccercoach61 said:
Hey Paul, you might try it with the Sunday Night Football game tonight... it is so bad on my HR20, I just watch the game with the 8300 or OTA.

-Chuck
I think I see what you mean... it looks like a movie, not video.

Thanks

Paul

· Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
pgfitzgerald said:
Have you seen it in SD MPEG2, HD MPEG2, HD MPEG4, or a combination of the three?

Paul
Only in SD MPEG2 and HD MPEG2 live TV and recorded programming. MPEG4 seems fine. And the problem is intermittent; not a real big deal, but it looks a bit like slow motion when it happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.