DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mentor
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a suggestion re the HD guides that are causing the "Your TV or its cables are not HD!" message, when you have both HD and SD sets connected (ie. are using composite output in addition to one of the HD outputs).

It would require a little work on D*'s part, but would let everyone keep their existing setups, not require additional component to SD adapters, etc.

My suggestion is to have an option "Show guide in Standard Definition only". Turned off by default of course. Only enabled if there's an SD resolution selected in list of resolutions available.

Thus anyone using HD and SD outputs simultaneously, could basically go back to the old guide resolution, if they choose.

My other (related) issue is with an HD DVR I don't have physical access to, that is connected via a Slingbox (original Slingbox so it's SD only). I'm using HDMI output plus SD to the Slingbox. I now get the original message, and the suggestions on the threads don't work for me. The Slingbox remotes the remote, and holding the Exit button doesn't work, I suspect the Slingbox software just sends a single Exit command, so the reciever doesn't know it's held down.

I've tried pushing the 'Format' button on the remote to cycle into 480i resolution, but I just still keep getting the message.

I'd sure like to get into the recorded programs list to manage them (ie. delete the ones I don't need so I don't run out of room for the ones I care about).

·
Mentor
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jimmie57 said:
That sounds like a good suggestion on choosing a Guide in HD or SD.

If you choose a channel that is an SD broadcast and let your TV switch to that resolution will that still get the message ?
Great suggestion, that worked! Good solution for letting me remote manage, also folks can use it to see their menus, guide, and program list, without having to fully switch your receiver into SD mode (lest you forget to switch it back etc.)

Not sure what resolution I ended up in (I can't physically see the device so can't tell what's on the front panel), but switching to an SD channel (randomly picked 350, got live speech on CSPAN, woo hoo!), and then hitting menu gave me all menus, list, etc. no problem. Didn't need to disable the HD resolutions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.