DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been doing a lot more stuff lately, and I find things like the Active channel, as well as the Game Lounge to be just way to slow to be useful. I understand that satellite bandwidth is essentially free, but for these to be effective, I think it would be FAR better to utilize the Internet for those receivers that can.

Of course that last sentence illustrates one of the bigger problems, is that not all of the receivers are Internet ready (like my R16-300)...

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
I suggest that they don't roll out any more new features that would be better if they used the internet that aren't internet based. That may actually help them speed up getting everyone to go to an HD platform too... All wins from where I'm sitting. And eventually, maybe upgrade customers just like they are doing for old MPEG-2 HD customers... Start with Game Lounge people... How many are there for that anyway?

·
Legend
226 Posts
When thinking about using the Internet, keep in mind the Internet providers are starting to put caps on total bandwidth usage, in reaction to all the videos, Netflix, etc. being downloaded. Of course DTV uses the internet for VOD. I downloaded a few shows and the bandwidth usage was pretty significant. No trouble with the cap as of yet, but I am not sure more Internet usage would be the best approach for us customers - it just pushes the usage and cost somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
awalt said:
When thinking about using the Internet, keep in mind the Internet providers are starting to put caps on total bandwidth usage, in reaction to all the videos, Netflix, etc. being downloaded. Of course DTV uses the internet for VOD. I downloaded a few shows and the bandwidth usage was pretty significant. No trouble with the cap as of yet, but I am not sure more Internet usage would be the best approach for us customers - it just pushes the usage and cost somewhere else.
I was going to say the same thing, plus one more thing...

A significant number of "average Joe" users don't have or aren't going to take the time to connect their units to the internet. Some older customers simply don't know how to do it.

GIven the problem that many expert users have had (and continue to have) with internet connection related issues, I think D* has to really be careful what it implements that relies on a network or internet connection.

Granted, its not the same thing, but I don't know of a cable company that requires an internet connection (and it's associated additional hardware) for Video on Demand or any of the other services.

Apples to Oranges, but for the average user, who just wants to watch TV, and use the features without any hassles, this could make a difference.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ComCast take on D* regarding VOD and no need for any additional hardware or connection costs (ISP monthly service costs, etc.).

·
Hall Of Fame
1,677 Posts
tcusta00 said:
I wonder if it's possible to have the software somehow switch these kind of features over to internet-based if it recognizes that it's got a good internet connection. That doesn't seem that far off, does it?
It could probably be done, and isnt a half bad idea although disabling it would need to be an option for those who need finer control over their bandwidth.

Of course this would be an increased cost for D* likely.

·
Godfather
347 Posts
i would actually use these features if they could be on the internet. active is too slow to use and game lounge just takes forever between turns.

also on hd and hddvr boxes, why not make the active channel high def. but do that after they change the GUI to HD

·
Hall Of Fame
1,335 Posts
The internet is powered by satellites but it has one big bottleneck your isp.When i press the active button now to get the local weather i can go and pour a cup of cofee before it loads,if it goes internet i will be able to go to the Chinese resturant order crab ragoons ,rice ,chicken wings, eat there read my forturn cookie come home look out the window and see that it started raining before i will get the news on tv.:eek2:

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
The Internet is nearly EVERYTHING to me, and I connect everything I can, but for most people, the idea of hooking up their "TV Box" to the Internet doesn't make sense, and not at all worth running a cable or buying a piece of gear to do so.

And there will always be some customers who would be very upset to find that certain features "require" Internet connections. "My Comcast doesn't require an Internet subscription..." It just goes to show that you can't make everyone happy.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True you can't make everyone happy but how about this to make MORE people happy...

On an Internet enabled box, give people the option to use the Internet to download certain content (i.e. Active channel, Game Lounge, etc.), as opposed to the slow internet. Almost everyone that I talk to that has D* finds the Active channel useless because of the speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.